SB-5000 AF Speedlight

2»

Comments

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    The question I reckon is, will Niko release it?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I suspect you might get it for the D810, but for the D800 it's a 50/50 chance.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I hope they release it. Otherwise it is an expensive remote trigger kit:)
  • robflrobfl Posts: 2Member
    Is anyone else overly frustrated Nikon has chosen to limit radio control to this flash to the recently announced bodies? After purchasing a D5 and two SB5000s, excited to finally control off camera flash easily... I quickly realized the D5 was not a body for me and had to return. Why is something Canon has had for years Nikon chooses to ignore the importance.

For what is is worth I have also tried to get the SB5000s to fire with the WRT10 (with updated software) kit on a D750, D800, and D4s with not luck. My hope was since pocket wizard can control the flash through a master SB910 it may work...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    @robfl the older Nikon cameras don't have the software to drive the SB5000 radio. It would require issuing firmware updates for every camera.
  • robflrobfl Posts: 2Member
    @Ironheart exactly, one would assume if the flash was going to be dependent on camera software they would have those firmware updates available before launch.
    There is also likely some hardware involved too. The D810 is the only one rumored to be getting a firmware update in order to support the SB5000. If it were purely software, there would be rumors of other cameras like the D4s...
    edited May 2016
    @Ironheart, where did you hear that the D810 would possibly be getting an update to support the SB5000? I am eagerly awaiting exactly that, otherwise I have to go out and invest in alternative solutions...
    Post edited by Killerbob on
    Just rumors here, and when I went to the launch event the reps were hinting. I think we're waiting on firmware upgrade to the wr-10 or whatever that wireless transmitter thingie is...
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,704Member
    I have been using these recently and really like them. It is nice to control the flash output from the LCD on the back of the camera. My only suggestion for improvement would be to put all the electronics into the new bodies instead of having to plug a dongle into your 10 pin port. Perhaps that will be one of the new items we will see on the replacement for the D810 which should be announced soon.
    I now have the D810, the WR-A10/WR-R10 combi, as well as the SB-5000, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to trigger the SB-5000 using the D810/WR-R10??? I don't think it is possible...
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,704Member
    check compatibility, the SB-5000 speedlights in radio control mode may only work with the D5 and D500 (and the D810 replacement and all future mid to high end Nikons with CLS).
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    I would rather see Nikon update the SU-800 with radio functionality. It doesn't look like they are really taking the radio market serious at this point. Honestly, it's bs that you have to stick something on the side of their flagship product to get wireless to work.

I will stick with my SU-800/Pocketwizard setup for the foreseeable future. It lets me use most newer Nikon speedlights and it works with my Alienbees strobes.

For someone that mentioned the Yongnuo, make sure to fully research them. There has been some issues reported about issues with the Nikon version ones.