Photography in Barcelona

WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
edited April 2016 in Fun & Weird
Proudgeek's request to tap my brain about shooting in Barcelona got me thinking. I am sure that other people would see a benefit from a discussion like that. So why don't we have the discussion where everyone can benefit and chime in.

One of the first things I like to do when I arrive in a new city is to go to my pre-researched sunrise and sunset locations. A good choice for a sunrise is on Montjuic, the small mountain overlooking Barcelona where the Olympics were held. Specifically, I was on the north-east corner of the hill along Miramar street, next to a very large hotel, where I had an excellent view where I caught this image at blue hour of the sun just before it started rising over Barcelona's harbour.

Barcelona at Sunrise, Barcelona, 2015

As the morning progressed, I turned my attention to the north and captured this image of Barcelona's cathedral at golden hour.

Barcelona at Golden Hour, Barcelona, 2015
Post edited by WestEndFoto on

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    On this trip I'd like to travel lighter than usual. Can I get away with just a 24-70? Or is that not wide enough for all the architectual shots?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    You can always stitch, so I would say yes.
    Always learning.
  • kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    I've been doing city trips with just my 17-35 recently for weight reasons, and I find I'm at the wide end most of the time. I wouldn't bother to try and stitch, personally, b/c I think it's just too much hassle and the few times I tried I never got the seams quite right. The cathedral in the Barri Gotic alone screams for a wide end...
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    On this trip I'd like to travel lighter than usual. Can I get away with just a 24-70? Or is that not wide enough for all the architectual shots?
    Many of my interior architectural shots are with a 24, but many are also with my 14-24, particularly in the Sagria Familia where I went "weird" (14mm) to catch the
    "weird" interiors. I might suggest that you have the ability to shoot in the 16 or 17 range. I should note however, that in Rome and Florence I had a 20mm prime for the wide end and I don't feel that I missed anything. You can look through my portfolio to see numerous samples. There are more situations that demand a wide angle in Rome than their are in Barcelona.

Bottom line is that a 24 is not quite wide enough, but a 20 should suffice unless you are really demanding about being able to "get it all in".

https://www.flickr.com/photos/westendfoto/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/westendfoto/albums/72157649332639775

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I wouldn't bother to try and stitch, personally, b/c I think it's just too much hassle and the few times I tried I never got the seams quite right. The cathedral in the Barri Gotic alone screams for a wide end...
    Practice makes perfect. One way that stitching beats an ultra-wide is the perspective distortion is reduced.
    Always learning.
    Leaving tomorrow and realized I never followed up on this. I'm thinking 1 fx body, 1 17-35 and 1 24-70. Right?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I always take a backup camera ...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    I agree with heartyfisher about a second body. You might want to consider the option of renting a lens if you run into a situation where you do not have what you need. Most large cities have camera shops that offer lens and camera rentals for a reasonable price. I have had to do this a couple of times. The good thing about renting from a local shop is that you can test the lens out in the shop to make sure it works with you camera and that it does not have any issues. Have a good trip.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    This makes total sense, it's like filming for a movie, ideally you want to scout out the place first to plan your shots so that when the time comes things go smoothly. In a perfect world that would be done all the time, but sometimes the most satisfying shots are the ones you get off the cuff.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    For travel, I go with stitching. The panorama function is Lightroom is literally just a few clicks. If you plan ahead and take the sequence of images to be stitched from the "no parallax" rotation point, the seams really do disappear.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    In the airport waiting for my flight. One body only. If this were Africa or Alaska I'd bring two. Trying to travel light (for me at least). Catch you all on the flip side.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    How long are you staying? I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Share your photos with us!
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S