Should I buy D810 kit with 24-120mm VR lens?

2»

Comments

• picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    With the current bargain pricing on the 24-120, it seems like a no-brainer as a genial purpose lens. When I got my D810, I initially went with primes, but the 24-85VR was available as a refurb at really low price and it's become a favorite. Like the 16-85VR I'd used on DX, the mid-range zooms seem better stopped down a bit for best IQ but are flexible and very competent.
    pictureted at flickr
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I think Trishooter we must be careful not to misled some readers...you said you calibrated it ..I think you mean you set the fine focus adjust to be correct at 120mm where fine focus is most critical. What Nikon did for Spraynpray was to make adjustments to the internal computer to keep the focus adjust setting consistent through the whole range . You cannot do this yourself.
    Every lens benefits from fine focus adjustment.
    Sprays experience was on a D750 mine on a D810 and all my lenses were grey. If I bought a 24-120 genuine lens I would send it back and say the fine focus was inconsistent through the range and ask them to adjust.
    Pistnbroke, thank you for qualifying my comment which was, as you surmised, directed at using the autofocus fine tune. :)

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    edited February 2016
    Thanks Pistnbroke!!! That was a great and timely comment on the 24-120 adjustment by Nikon.
    Post edited by rmp on
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.