Nikon P900 rumors ?

Hi, I'm thinking seriously about buying a Nikon Coolpix P900. Have you heard anything on this camera or another Camera with a larger or updated zoom ?

Any of you have a P900 ?

Thanks.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The new Nikon DL 24-500 f/2.8-5.6 also has a 2000mm equivalent with 4x digital zoom. Not sure what that means exactly yet, but a 4x crop of a 1" sensor could be bigger than a P900.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    The P900 has digital zoom too for a total of 8000mm so its really a different beast...
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Ironheart said:

The new Nikon DL 24-500 f/2.8-5.6 also has a 2000mm equivalent with 4x digital zoom. Not sure what that means exactly yet, but a 4x crop of a 1" sensor could be bigger than a P900.

Digital zoom is nothing special, point and shoots have had it for years. It's just a digital crop, in camera.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yeah sure, but what meant was we haven't seen this camera's version of it yet, what the IQ is like, what resolution the crop is, etc... If you haven't figured it out yet, please don't take me so literally. I am usually posting from a phone so brevity is preferable. My second point is that the 1" sensor in the DL 24-500 even with a 4x crop/zoom/tiny aliens/etc.. might still be a larger area than the P900 sensor at 2000mm equiv, as I recall that the 900 had a rather small sensor. I'm admittedly too lazy to go look it up I-)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The larger sensor should mean that diffraction is less of an issue, than say the P900, so in theory there should be less detail smearing in crop images, weather it be in camera via digital zoom, or on the computer later.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    To use internet parlance, IIRC the P900 sensor is 1/2.3". I think that's about 1/4 the area of Nikon's 1" CX sensor.
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I looked at this camera when it was first announced and the spec seemed to good to be true. It was not cheap when compared to other bridge type cameras. However as usual prices have dropped. I have had the opportunity to check out all the YouTube videos with positive results. The criteria seems to be a good solid tripod when using the maximum zoom of 2000 . So Its on order at only £360 00 in the UK, seems quite a snip.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • sharkeysharkey Posts: 12Member
    paulr said:

I looked at this camera when it was first announced and the spec seemed to good to be true. It was not cheap when compared to other bridge type cameras. However as usual prices have dropped. I have had the opportunity to check out all the YouTube videos with positive results. The criteria seems to be a good solid tripod when using the maximum zoom of 2000 . So Its on order at only £360 00 in the UK, seems quite a snip.

Were at £360?

Thanks

Sharkey

edited March 2016
    http://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/mothers-day-2016.html Sharkey and there is no import duty
    Post edited by paulr on
  • sharkeysharkey Posts: 12Member
    paulr said:

http://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/mothers-day-2016.html Sharkey and there is no import duty

thank you.

the 810 is the same price on Amazon - does the tax requirement vary with product?

not important - just interested.

Regards

Sharkey

No E-Globel have an office in the Uk so one presumes thats why there is no import duty, I see they were offering the D5 at under £4000 00 now that interesting.
    edited March 2016
    First Impressions of this camera, to take full advantage of the capabilities of what this camera can do apart from its Normal P&S ability. Great care must be used to handle such high focus lengths. Cleary any vibration is going to show, however once you have achieved the correct techniques the sky literally is the limit. This is early days but I look forward to using this camera with such high focus lengths.

Clearly it will not reach the standards of a Professional long tele-phophoto lens that can be achieved, but with correct techniques and good post production it will produce images normally not achievable, and at this cost outlay, it will make a very good pair of binoculars if everything else fails.
    I found also Macro was quite acceptable too.

Macro Image Test using the New Nikon P900
    Post edited by paulr on
    First day out with the Nikon Coolpix P900 and quite surpising results,Even though it was a typical British March day {Cloudy} the P900 showed an unusual good Dynamic range. I believe with its 24-2000 range it can throw up images of good standard. it was also nice to go home without the normal backache after carrying numerous lenses and heavy pro bodies..

First Test Shots with the Nikon P900 Dull weather Conditions