The big Prime lens Con Trick.

124»

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Some of the newer lenses are "fly by wire" zoom anyway, you twist a ring, but it's just a fancy switch, the motor and the electronics do the driving. Much like the steering or brakes on a modern car.
    The lens I was talking about (10-100 N1) only uses the button to release the lens from hibernation. The zoom is still mechanical. There is a power zoom version that the video folks love, as there are three zoom speeds blah blah. Also, collapsing the lens will power the camera down, and extending it will power it on, so one less switch to worry about anyway.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,702Member
    Ok, power zoom during video. I though that feature was only useful for smooth video.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    For the Video users the Nikon 1 NIKKOR VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-ZOOM is the perfect tool. Its smooth very smooth which cannot be replicated by a turn type zoom and most of all it is silent, something the videographer has to take into consideration whilst shooting, something the stills photographer does not have to consider.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Sadly I have some inbuilt unconscious fobia which makes me turn it off after every use ( the wife leaves hers on for hours )
    You don't have to remember to turn it on ..oh yes you do the bl***dy thing wont work until you press yet another button..no no more junk getting between me and the picture
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You can leave it extended like a normal lens and turn the power off or on and not worry about it. The camera will behave just like a normal one. Anyway, way off topic, I think.