3rd party screen issue using spot meter and TC14E

framerframer Posts: 491Member
I had an issue with a product call Brightscreen using the spot meter mode on my D3s with a TC14E and TC20EIII attached. The meter works fine without the TC's attached but overexposes 5+ stops if either are attached. Switching to matrix mode seems to work OK with the TC's. I switch the Brightscreen back to the original screen and spot metering now works correctly with the TC's.

I've been using this screen for years but I must have never used spot metering with a TC attached.

The Brightscreen used a 45deg slip image in the center surrounded a circle of microprisms.

framer

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Very interesting...
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited March 2016
    I have a split screen with my S5pro(D200 clone) and one of the things that was mentioned, and I knew about before I bought it, was it may mess up spot metering on some lenses. When I want "Spot metering" I just use centre weighted set to the smallest diameter. If that is not good enough (tiny subject in bright or dark background?) .. you can always use manual and the histogram.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.