Are You missing a Trick?

2»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    If the Schneider 28 was available in 24, I might have been tempted to save for a while.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Still better than the Lottery.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    Yes, that is for sure.
    edited April 2016
    Schneider do a 28mmPC /TS, now but silly money.

Post edited by paulr on
  • autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Ok, lets say you had to chose one. 500mm f4 or 600mm f4 or 400mm 2.8? I'm really looking for something for action sports (motocross/auto racing/high school football/etc..) and wildlife for fun. None of this for money/clients. The lenses I mention above are all used, AF-S, no VR, none are G lenses. I have plenty of tripods and Monopods. I know I'll need a Gimbal head. Your thoughts.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am dreaming of a 400mm. I am afraid anything longer will be too much for the grandkids high school sports and events.

On a DX it is 600mm and still 2.8, for wildlife I can use some TC's. Some don't like TC's but mine has been good to me so far.
    All are big heavy lenses,If sport is your subject I am sure most Pros would say the 400mm with the 2.8 aperture.for low light work 500mm it is a great lens too. you would find the 600mm quite a beast, but as you know photographers safety is now in the spot light and this lens would give you the safety distance. Alternatively the Sigma 300-800mm would combine all three and used cost wise ,they are sensible to buy.
    Lenses are just like camera bodies aren't they. We want one to do it all...lol Thanks for the comments on my question. I just need to be more decisive and select something. I have the 80-400mm G and it's a great lens. Image quality isn't on par with my friends 500 f4 but pretty close. I'm also intrigued by the 200mm f2 monster. He had to let me play with that too. Wow! what a lens! He uses it for indoor sports/action and portraits. Anyone have any experience with the 200mm f2? Decisions, decisions.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    autofocus said:

Lenses are just like camera bodies aren't they. We want one to do it all...lol Thanks for the comments on my question. I just need to be more decisive and select something. I have the 80-400mm G and it's a great lens. Image quality isn't on par with my friends 500 f4 but pretty close. I'm also intrigued by the 200mm f2 monster. He had to let me play with that too. Wow! what a lens! He uses it for indoor sports/action and portraits. Anyone have any experience with the 200mm f2? Decisions, decisions.

I have the 400mm f/2.8E and the 200mm f/2. I have used both to shoot college Lacrosse games on a D810 and the new D5 for a night game. From the sidelines the 400 is a bit long unless one is shooting toward the opposite end zone. The 200mm f/2, perhaps Nikon's finest lens ever, is a superb tool. On the D810 one can shoot from one end of the field to the other with plenty of room for cropping. The 200mm f/2 is really flexible for sports/action as well as portraits when one has enough room. The 400mm is somewhat more constrained simply due to its focal length.

Here is an example of the 200mm f/2 at f/2, 1/250, ISO 64 on a D810. The Pilot was my main subject. The shutter speed was chosen for keeping the head/body sharp but allowing some blur in the limbs to capture the speed of the action. https://www.flickr.com/photos/79203622@N02/25504493693/sizes/o/

BTW - I shot a night game with less than ideal lighting using the D5 and 200mm f/2. I had a hit rate in excess of 93%, which says a lot for the new AF system.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    I have the 400mm f/2.8E and the 200mm f/2. I have used both to shoot college Lacrosse games on a D810 and the new D5 for a night game. From the sidelines the 400 is a bit long unless one is shooting toward the opposite end zone. The 200mm f/2, perhaps Nikon's finest lens ever, is a superb tool. On the D810 one can shoot from one end of the field to the other with plenty of room for cropping. The 200mm f/2 is really flexible for sports/action as well as portraits when one has enough room. The 400mm is somewhat more constrained simply due to its focal length.

Well, that helps a lot. I'm thinking the 200mm may be more flexible and I can always use the 80-400 until I settle on a long focal length. Thanks Beso!
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Try looking back through your photos and see what focal length you use the most. That can help you decide what will work.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited April 2016
    I looked through my photos....shoot from 10.5mm - 800mm..... My favorite long lens is the 400/2.8, but heavy, requires support which varies from monopod to gimbal on three legs. But, i also love my modified 10.5mm on full frame.

As to the tilt/shift...it would be nice if one could rotate the 24/3.5 PC Nikkor, but alas the tilt and shift are fixed in relationship to each other. If it were not for the rather stiff price, I would go with the Schneider....but the 28mm vs 24mm may in some cases not be adequate.

Here is the 24mm really at its limits

Downtown Building

Best seen here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/7157362674/sizes/o/
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    You nailed that Msmoto.
  • s.smiths.smith Posts: 18Member
    Msmoto said:

I looked through my photos....shoot from 10.5mm - 800mm..... My favorite long lens is the 400/2.8, but heavy, requires support which varies from monopod to gimbal on three legs. But, i also love my modified 10.5mm on full frame.

As to the tilt/shift...it would be nice if one could rotate the 24/3.5 PC Nikkor, but alas the tilt and shift are fixed in relationship to each other. If it were not for the rather stiff price, I would go with the Schneider....but the 28mm vs 24mm may in some cases not be adequate.

Here is the 24mm really at its limits

Downtown Building

Best seen here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/7157362674/sizes/o/

Awesome capture!!!!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Thank you... I love to work the limits.....
    Msmoto, mod
    edited April 2016
    Ok so I pulled the trigger on the 200mm f2. I suppose if I don't like it I can always sell it since I got it at a reasonable price. It's the VR I model new in the box. We shall see. Thanks for your experience with it @Beso.

Edited. I really like looking at the older lenses now that I've experienced it. Maybe I'll continue searching for the 500mm f4.
    Post edited by autofocus on
    @autofocus Congratulations! The lens is a bit of a beast but the results are worth it. I hope you find the 200 f/2 exceptionally well suited for a broad range of subject matter. I look forward to seeing some images.
    @Beso I realize I need a filter to drop a stop of two of light to shoot f/2 in daylight. Question is, the Nikon C-PL3 or just a 52mm ND. Your thoughts.
    @autofocus I purchased the C-PL3L to deal with unwanted non-metallic reflections but it can be helpful with contrast in some situations such as better defining clouds, etc. At best the C-PL3L can provide about 1 stop of light difference. My suggestion is to get a .9 ND filter which will provide 3 stops of light. In daylight a .9 ND filter is dark enough to make a difference but not so dark as to obscure vision through the viewfinder or otherwise interfere with composition or focus.
    Thanks of the response. I guess I'm left with three choices. Buy the C-PL3L, buy a ND filter to fit the drop-in holder (means I have to take the holder out, switch filters, replace), or buy another filter holder and ND filter. I know what a CPL does and use them on other lenses. I really just wanted to drop the light by a stop or two for shooting in bright sunlight at large apertures. By the time all cost is considered I think I may just go the CPL route.
  • NikoniserNikoniser Posts: 100Member
    you know your d810 has a "lo" iso option ? You can shoot at ISO 32 and 1/8000 which ought to be enough for bright sunlight even at f2
    Nikoniser said:

you know your d810 has a "lo" iso option ? You can shoot at ISO 32 and 1/8000 which ought to be enough for bright sunlight even at f2

Thanks, you are correct. However I'm shooting with the D5 right now. I did drop the ISO to Lo 1.0 which helps. I don't want be at the limit of shutter speed all the time when choosing f/2. Dropping a stop or two on the D5 won't be a problem.
    @autofocus I think you framed your options well. Your selection becomes one of personal preference and how much you want to invest. Good luck.