Help!!!!

2»

Comments

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    there are instructions on how to post photos from flickr to the forum on here. if you are unfamiliar with that kind of thing that may be the simplest way of doing things.

500px seems slicker on the surface. i don't have much exp with it

flickr forums can be nice at times.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2016
    And a large steel ammunition box with a good chain to secure it all to and under your bed .....If you got so much money go FX D810 now and don't mess about.
    If the lenses you have are not autofocus then best to get new as the old lenses don't cut it and manual focus is a pain in the rear
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I use Flickr because my experience on 500px was it became a popularity contest. It seemed a lot of folks winning "awards" or recognition were not producing great photos, but simply liking everyone else's, thus creating a false popularity.

While Flickr may have its glitches, I find having over 5800 images up, is a storage place, easily accessible.
    Msmoto, mod
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    I agree with your comment about 500px but believe that it applies to all social media sites including Flickr. It is the very nature of social media and is expected in my opinion. I have seen photos that make it to Explore and the top of the Popular category on 500px that are there only because of popularity and not quality. I believe social media can be useful a tool to assess your photography but it should be one of several things that you should use to evaluate your work. Flickr as a storage and sharing application is really good and I use it daily.

Spencer Cox on Photography Life wrote an interesting blog post about the Orton effect and specifically mentioned how it is taking over the 500px site (Instagram, Facebook, etc.). He makes some good points and it worth reading. It is good to explore and learn new techniques but as he discusses it is dangerous when all of your work starts to look the same or to create images to get high scores on 500px or other social media unless you like the look or technique. His last statement in the article is spot on in my opinion: "A landscape photograph doesn’t need a mystical glow in order to be beautiful; it just needs to represent your personal take on the world."
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Thanks, vtc2002, and how interesting I just posted on PAD my version of a landscape...while driving through Chicago late Sunday afternoon.
    Msmoto, mod
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited May 2016
    @Msmoto I really liked it. I liked the one yesterday as well, I am always impressed with your high ISO shots. I hope you were in the passenger seat!
    Post edited by vtc2002 on