d5 or d810 successor

2»

Comments

• ajm057ajm057 Posts: 6Member
    edited September 2016
    The D810 is still by far the best camera Nikon makes for earth bound wildlife shooting in ok to good light. I say this as an owner of a D500 as well.

What the D500 brings is a 20MB sensor, 10 fps, the new AF capabilities, a DX crop and an XQD supported buffer that is super quick. I'm off to Kenya tomorrow to the Mara River and am taking 2 D810s and a D500 with me.

I would like the D810 replacement to have:
    • full frame focus points -- so not just the D5 area -- and super fast AF (so lots and lots of x-points,
    • 10 fps or more,
    • XQD and SD II and a huge buffer,
    • the ability to turn off all in camera processing - I just shoot RAW I don't want anything else to pull power or processing away from AF, image capture and writing to the cards
    • built in GPS AND WiFi to link to mobile device OR Pc/MAC
    • a better sensor 36MB or more sensor with the same or better DR and a cleaner top/high end ISO -- I want 3,200 and 6,400 to be super clean. I would also want to retain ISO 64 or even 50. Although for wildlife I am almost always at 640 or more
    I am also hoping that Nikon listens to the feedback we NPS members have been giving For example:--

a) I already own 2 GP-1A's and won't be buying andy more -- please build in the GPS so I don't have another thing to knock off of the camera.

b) Same for the WiFi -- I already own a UT-1 and WT5 so I'm not buying another and certainly not the newer version for the D5 -- low power bluetooth and snapbridge are useless for me -- I only shoot RAW -- but I want to look at images and their details on my IPadPro. Without having to add more devices to the camera - these just get knocked off and add weight

c) Strengthen the connection between the battery grip and the camera -- There needs to be a clip or lock to provide a stronger fixing between the grip and the camera at the top of the vertical grip end of the battery grip - so the grip is held on both with the screw and something else to ensure the contacts between the grip and the camera do not come apart if the camera is being "swung about" with a big lens on it.
    Post edited by ajm057 on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,705Member
    ajm057: great wish list. BUT, you are asking a lot for the D8xx platform. You may more likely get what you want if Nikon produces a D5x for probably $7,500.00.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I prefer 2 XQD slots. Would like 54mp so it is 24mp in dx crop mode. Just put it in a D5 body or redesign it to have D5/D500 controls. I have a D500 so it does not need to be that fast but it would be OK.

I shoot raw and jpeg and don't use Wi-Fi but may someday. No use for blue tooth unless I can control the camera with it.

With out getting real nit picky the rest works for me.

• ajm057ajm057 Posts: 6Member
    edited September 2016
    Dear Donaldejose -- I could not disagree more -- The Nikon D750 features full Wi-fi connectivity built in to the camera, Cannon provides GPS and WIFI in their Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and 6D Bodies - Sony A7R and Fuji X-Pro2 provide good Wifi and GPS in most of their other cameras.
    Post edited by ajm057 on
  • ajm057: great wish list. BUT, you are asking a lot for the D8xx platform. You may more likely get what you want if Nikon produces a D5x for probably $7,500.00.

And I will immediately fork over that $7,500 with a great big smile and gladness in my heart.
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    ajm057 said:

Dear Donaldejose -- I could not disagree more -- The Nikon D750 features full Wi-fi connectivity built in to the camera, Cannon provides GPS and WIFI in their Canon EOS 5D Mark IV and 6D Bodies - Sony A7R and Fuji X-Pro2 provide good Wifi and GPS in most of their other cameras.

Wifi, GPS - that sounds feasible, same for XQD and top of the line SDHC compatibility.
    10 fps? more (spread out) focus points than the d5? clean iso at 6400? yeah thats 7500$.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Probably not going to get the focus points more spread than they already are, unless you move to mirrorless. The AF module has to fit into a pretty tight space, I bet it's already maxed out. Somebody prove me wrong with actual geometry.
    No $7,500 for a camera here. $3000 I can save for it. Call it a D900, then put a D7200 sensor in a D500 body and call it a D9000 a nice pair like the D5/D500 pairing or if you prefer a D850 and a D8500. ;)

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    To judge by the price of the canon 5 D mk 4 at £3500 then the price on the new Nikon will be similar and silly high which may exclude me from a purchase.
    edited September 2016
    ajm057: it is not the items you mention that would not be put into a replacement for the D810 at about the same price. The D810 is widely expected to have a 50+ mp sensor. The ability to process all the data from such a sensor at 10fps is what is not going to happen at the D810 price point. You will be lucky to get 50 mp at 5 fps. But it could happen at the D5x price point. Remember the D3x sold for about $8,000 and it doubled the megapixels from 12 to 24. Nikon has room for a D5x. In fact, some people think from now on Nikon should split the D5 line into two: a D5h for high speed and a D5x for high megapixel sensor. The replacement for the D810 likely will have much of what you want; just not at 10fps because that requires too much processing power.

retread: you make a good point I had not thought of. The D500 body is great. Nikon could put a high megapixel sensor in it and call it a D500x to get more use out of that body with slower fps. But jumping from 20 to 24mp isn't enough of a jump. Make it more like 30 or 36 if such pixel density is possible (and beneficial) on a DX sensor.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    D500x works for me but think 24MP is near the limit lenses can use on a DX sensor however if more can work that is fine.

D500/D500x & D5/D5x what a dream kit the 4 of them would make but I could not afford lenses to go with them. I will have to be happy with a D500 and the D810 replacement what ever that may be. With some good glass that will leave me broke.
    Nikon should make those four cameras: D500, D500x, D5, D5x and really give professionals a nice choice of tools. And while they are at it they should incorporate U1, U2, U3 and U4 on a dial in place of the banks. Let people completely set all controls for three or four different shooting situations. And also, make more use of the touch screen. Focus on both choice and usability. It should not be that hard or that costly to use the D500 and D5 bodies in this way.
  • I wonder why no D4X was ever produced... D2x, D3x.... and here we are.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    yes I hate those pro controls with a passion ..new camera with U1 U2 etc
    Adding more to the dials would mean some redesigning but I do not like menu diving. I miss shots while I am doing it. I have grown to love the controls of the D500. I can change things so much faster than with the D5100.

U1, u2, u3 and so forth go for it.