Why a new 105 mm lens?

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,700Member
    Like I said, its a strong opinion. If you click on the "show more" button below the first video you will find links to the comparison photos and can draw your own conclusions. It is interesting to hear the argument that when you use glass layer after glass layer to correct all the "flaws" you degrade "micro contrast" and adversely affect the final image. Sort of like the argument that the chase for more and more megapixels doesn't necessarily mean image quality is better because megapixels are higher. The current conventional wisdom is contrary to his opinion. That doesn't necessarily mean his is wrong. It seems we all do obsess over which lens has the highest resolution numbers. Once the new 105 f1.4 lens is out and tested I do hope people compare it to the old 105 f2 DC lens.
    Seems the sample photos on line now may have been manipulated with post processing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeTZRljLPrA
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

If that photo appeared on the "Critique my Image " thread it would get a lot of responses that he composition is incorrect because the model should be looking into the photo space and standing on the edge of it looking out. However, in this case the real subject of the image is not the model in blue; it is the bokeh of the posts behind her.

IMHO the subject is the model, and the background bokeh supports the subject.
    Always learning.
    Agreed, IF it is a conventional photo. But it was made to demonstrate the bokeh of the new lens for advertising that new lens so in this special case the "subject" is the bokeh.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    The subject is whatever the artist says it is. The question is execution. Given the point of the image, this is well executed if you appreciate what is being sold.

I imagine that an artist would find it quite tedious to listen to a critic tell them what their subject should be.
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member

The subject is whatever the artist says it is. The question is execution. Given the point of the image, this is well executed if you appreciate what is being sold.

I imagine that an artist would find it quite tedious to listen to a critic tell them what their subject should be.

I agree. More pertinent comments about equipment than art.
    pictureted at flickr
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    This new lense is very expensive. If I needed a portrait lense I think I would wait for the Sigma 85/1.4 Art, that is rumoured to be on its way. Probably at least as good and a lot less expensive. But if a Nikon 105/1.4 is what you want...
    I am sure that if the Sigma Art was truly at least as good as this lens, then they would be charging the same price. Sigma isn't a charity.
    Not a charity, but Sigma should have an advantage in that they can produce their lens in many different mounts and sell to people who own different cameras. I would also point out that the Sigma Art 35 and 50 are generally said to be better than the Nikon and Cannon equivalents. It does seem Sigma Art series do seems to be better lenses at lower cost. Sigma manages to stay in business so they must produce their lenses for less than they sell them. It will be interesting to see if there is a Sigma Art 85 f1.4 or a Sigma Art 105 f1.4. I should add that not everyone thinks the Sigma Art series is great. www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqGBpFDV--E www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJC0uC_3C80 www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB0-h-wXju8
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member

I am sure that if the Sigma Art was truly at least as good as this lens, then they would be charging the same price. Sigma isn't a charity.

Or they could charge less, steal customers and make a profit (which is what they do when they can). I agree that there is no charity involved.

Good points donaldejose, and I think the angry photographer is always interesting to listen to, although he could use a lot less words to say the same things he is saying :).
    Yes, that angry photographer is entertaining and does sometimes have valid points but often they are quite overstated; just as his body is "overtatooed" IMHO>
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    He makes my head hurt. I need to have a few drinks to watch his stuff.

My question is why everyone keeping the scope to portrait photography. The F/2 DC IMHO will still be king. I'm looking for a fast focusing, small telephoto for close in sports. The f/2 DC was just too slow focusing using the screw drive. It could be a great indoor sports lens.

framer
    Good point. I guess 105 is such a classic portrait length that people tend to automatically think of the portrait use for such a lens.
  • AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    Just ordered the 105 DC, now I will never be able to justify $2200 for another!
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    I would love the lens for both concerts and street shooting where modern (fast) AF would be a big advantage. I also don't see getting too excited about the price - the 24/1.4 is $2000 and the current shallow DOF winner - the 200/2 is over $5000. And then compare Zeiss prices (for manual focus).

When it's available, I'll probably end up buying (I'm saving up now).
    pictureted at flickr
    AmericanLoonie, I think you will enjoy this classic lens. The price will probably increase when they discontinue it.
    edited August 2016
    @WestEndFoto : I think you are right... I have long been a fan of the professional D series lenses: I use the 28-70 religiously, I switched out the 85 G for the D, and I continue to laud my 80-200 to anyone willing to listen. I still use my 60 when I want something light, and the 20-35 is also fantastic (stopped down a smidge, of course).

When I was researching this purchase I gave my local camera shop a call and was told that the 105 DC was already discontinued? I haven't been able to confirm this, but noticed that it is not available on the Nikon USA website (although not listed as discountinued either). From what I have observed, it likely has been silently discontinued and Nikon is letting stock sell off. Suffice to say: I am please I picked one up.
    Post edited by AmericanLoonie on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The Nikon USA web site says "Temporarily out of inventory". B&H lists it as in stock. Let's not start any rumors :wink:
    It was one of the top, high-end retailers in Toronto, so I would say it is more than mere rumor... I even had them go and double check that intel and they confirmed: they seemed to think Nikon stopped making them a few years ago? Wouldn't know how to confirm such a thing obviously, as I mentioned above...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I was kidding, this is a rumor site after all :wink: It is still listed here in the current lineup:
    http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/index.htm
    And it's not in the archive section. My local shop still sells it. When Nikon stops making something they explicitly delist it, not keep it on every list. I think you got a bum steer. :rage:
    For sure. I suppose the Nikon site will tell: I wonder if they will add stock before they announce it discontinued due to the 1.4? If they announce it discontinued due to the 1.4, of course... Just spurring those rumors!
    I predict they will update the 135 - perhaps 1.4 - wouldn't that be glorious - and then bring in a 1.8 for both.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    The more I think about this lens the more I need to check it out. Anyone have info on how fast the AFS motor is? Is it pro grade speed?

framer
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    the literature says indoor sports... but that might just be marketing.
    Framer, I m sure it is amoung the best.