TC 14E II lens cover...

chasgrohchasgroh Posts: 11Member
...recently, at a darkish shoot outside in a stadium, I was using my 70-200 VII hooked to my 1.4 Nikon TC all hooked to my D4. So, in packing up I managed to get the back (or front?) lens cap on wrong on the TC...impossible to get off without using Channelocks or something like that. So, not wanting to damage the optics, I heated up a chisel and burned through it in a couple of places...enough to remove it without stressing anything out (including me!). All is good with the TC thank goodness, BUT, I'm having a devil of a time finding a replacement cover online. A "normal" cap won't work due to the glass configuration...any info out there?

Comments

• chasgrohchasgroh Posts: 11Member
    ...boy, your search skills are way better than mine! THX!
  • AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    I just replaced one after losing it mid-shoot. Sadly I did not fetch such a nice price out of country, but I picked up a few spares just in case!

I have been trying to figure out if these things will damage a camera body if used as a body cap?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Is the cap for a teleconverter different from a regular body cap?

I just replaced one after losing it mid-shoot. Sadly I did not fetch such a nice price out of country, but I picked up a few spares just in case!

I have been trying to figure out if these things will damage a camera body if used as a body cap?

That's the most expensive body cap replacement I've seen in some time...
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    The price is insane, right? Almost $20 up here in Canada, it's pretty absurd.

They are a bit different as the TC cap needs to be able to accommodate the glass element that protrudes just beyond the mount plane on the teleconverters. The cap is just a bit deeper in order to do so, but nothing appears different on the bayonet locking end.

The difference/additional "cap" would all be in front of the camera, which is why I don't think it should pose any risk to a body. I called someone at Nikon Canada to ask them about it and they didn't even know what product I was talking about. After better explaining, all they did was look at the website description and note it doesn't say it is used for a body and therefore is not recommended for one. Other websites say otherwise, so a real answer from Nikon on the topic would certainly be appreciated... I just don't want to damage the CPU contacts, which could be a risk if the bayonet locking end protrudes deeper into the camera body than regular caps. I of course can not see if that is happening when the cap is on...