echo during making picture using long shutter speed

gmoorsgmoors Posts: 6Member
Hi

my previous message (draining batteries on my D4s) seemed to have been solved by using a different charger (I still have to let exchange the charger).
But now I notice the following problem: If my 24-70 f / 2.8 VR lens is attached to the D4S and I take a picture with a longer shutter speed (for example, 6 seconds) I hear an echo(/buzz) when taking the photo. When I use a 70-300mm lens with the same shutter speed, I do not hear that echo.

Another thing I noticed is when I turn my camera down to see the photographs, the display (while looking at the image) shuts down from time to time (the camera remains on). I have that problem some time going but thought it was me touching some button on the frontside of the camera, but I've reassured myself I'm not pushing any button while looking at my pictures.

FYI: my D4s runs on the latest firmware.

Can someone help me or tell what causes these problems?
Tagged:

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Did you try turning the VR off? VR by its nature makes noise. On a tripod it typically should be off anyway, esp for a long exposure.
  • gmoorsgmoors Posts: 6Member
    Thank you very much Ironheart!
    There's indeed no echo when VR is off. I did the test with VR on (normal) and VR off. When 'on' I get the echo, when 'off', no sound.

Any idea what the problem with the display can be? I mainly use AF-C, but I don't think this has something to do with the screen. From time to time after making a picture and tilting the camera down (so the lens points to the ground) to look at my picture on the display, the display shuts down - no image visible...
    When I tilt the camera back horizontal, look for the picture the camera shows the picture until I tilt the camera vertical again. It's very strange because I cannot repeat this behavior all the time. Sometimes it happens a few times and other times it doesn't.
    I'm pretty sure I don't touch any buttons on the camera (front and rear) while viewing an image.
    Are you pushing the picture review button, or do you have auto display turned on?
  • gmoorsgmoors Posts: 6Member
    Hi Ironheart
    No, I didn't push the picture review button (I know this button is somewhat tricky placed...).
    For the moment, I've altered soms display settings and see if things happen again, but auto display is off.
    Let me ask my question differently. How do you initially display the image? Or does it come up automatically after you take a picture?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    sounds like there may be something in the eye sensor next to the viewfinder. clean it and it could possibly start working well.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The time that images are displayed to review is selected in the settings. Just increase it as it is easy enough to dismiss it by just touching the shutter button.
    Always learning.