Ektachrome Returns!

Jack Roberts
"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yawn... some things are better left in the past, like film.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AmericanLoonieAmericanLoonie Posts: 99Member
    I'm with you @Symphotic, I can't wait to shoot it. That said, I am extremely disappointed that it will not be provided in 120 format. I hope that is addressed ASAP, because my Rolleiflex would love to get into some...
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Was this a particularly beloved film type? I may just buy a roll or two just to have some fun with it.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @NSXTypeR: I have never shot it, but it is most certainly a beloved film stock especially after Kodachrome was discontinued. Highly praised for its extra fine grain, color accuracy, saturation, durability, and longevity. It should be ideal for scanning and high-res projection as well, which has me especially interested.
  • Opinions may vary about the comparative benefits of film vs cmos: however, for 4x5 shooters, one cannot achieve results of film using digital without stitching unless you can afford very high end MFD. The benefits of movements for all 4x5 lenses along with the 3D effect that is mostly lost with digital make the prospect of less contrasty 4x5 film reentering the market exciting. I felt Kodak's E100g film was superior to Fuji offerings for its latitude, color accuracy, and fantastic reciprocity characteristics, a desired choice for my "serious" work. Hopefully, Kodak will expand its offering to large format. Long live Kodak.

I am pleased that Pitchblack has chosen not to stir up unwarrented controversy by editing/deleting his potentually inflamatory post. Sometimes the most instructive and thought provoking posts need to be incubated and carefully crafted - like an excellent image. Impulsive responses to gain attention may not find favor with those who take their imaging profession seriously. There are numerous genres beyond portraits of celebrities and models in color for which PB may not have the correct answer.
  • And thankfully for my sense of well being Sigma (or Tamron ir Zeiss) does not compete in the large format film (or digital MF) arenas.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

@NSXTypeR: I have never shot it, but it is most certainly a beloved film stock especially after Kodachrome was discontinued. Highly praised for its extra fine grain, color accuracy, saturation, durability, and longevity. It should be ideal for scanning and high-res projection as well, which has me especially interested.

Good to know, it should be fun to shoot through for a couple rolls, depending on how expensive each roll is.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Since I read that Ektachrome was being re-introduced I went to my files and pulled out Ektachromes that I shot 35 years ago. I don't have a projector any more, or even a viewer, but I do have my old loupe. I spent a lot of time looking through them, and they are still beautiful.
    At one time I could do a serviceable job shooting film with a manual focus camera and all manual exposure settings. I'm afraid I've lost that talent or the patience it took to do a good job. I'm looking forward to shooting more Ektachromes.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2017
    Long time ago .. I shot a few rolls of ekta .. Those days I was a poor student and food won out in the end :-) ... should be fun putting a roll or so through again. A couple months ago I almost bought a second hand F6 !!!( I asked for views on this forum :-) ) If I knew Ekta was coming back I may have ...
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

L ... should be fun putting a roll or so through again. ...

My thoughts as well. In June of last year I stopped the stills photography part of my work as I took on more work with underwater video--I'm working on an ROV deployed stereo HD camera system now--as I just don't have the time anymore. But for pictures of the grandchildren I would love to get back in the hobby side of photography. I have a handful of film cameras collecting dust on the shelf and I would like to take Ektachromes with them again. There is a feeling of permanence to slides: I've noticed that Ektachrome has retained its color for 35 years in my photos, and much longer in some of my grandfather's that I've found. Color prints didn't fare as well.

Will I still be able to read digital photo files 35 years from now?
    Jack Roberts
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Symphotic, I believe so. As long as you don't let your images get stuck in an old "program". For example, if you use Lightroom, keep it and the operating system that you are using updated. You should be fine.
    So how do we get the new ekta rolls ? and get them processed ? Scanned?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Cool... I will have to dust off the N80 and my SRT and introduce my daughter to the joys of shooting and then dropping the rolls off and waiting to see what you've captured!

Cool... I will have to dust off the N80 and my SRT and introduce my daughter to the joys of shooting and then dropping the rolls off and waiting to see what you've captured!

I have done some film shooting in the modern age.. I bring along my DSLR and use it as a light meter LOL !! an expensive one ! the histogram is very useful :-)

• Cool... I will have to dust off the N80 and my SRT and introduce my daughter to the joys of shooting and then dropping the rolls off and waiting to see what you've captured!

I have done some film shooting in the modern age.. I bring along my DSLR and use it as a light meter LOL !! an expensive one ! the histogram is very useful :-)

@heartyfisher : I will do that if it's just me; but when I take her out so shoot film the first time, I want her to feel the anticipation when picking up the developed film and wondering if she got the shot!

While I'll be the first to say that digital has made it much easier to capture a good image every time you compose a shot, i think it has also made it easy to not think about every aspect of the shot as you compose it...
    Haha, I do the exact same thing, @heartyfisher. If I really set up the shot in advance it gives me the opportunity to judge between digital and film when I have both shots in front of me. That is when I get back to wondering if shooting film is worth the money or whether I should save and spend that money on a new lens instead. It's an ongoing mental conundrum/battle...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Love this. Will have to get out my old F's and put new batteries in my Gossen Luna Pro. Of course, I am also praying the processing of this new Ektachrom is more stable than the hundreds of now nearly clear slides I have from the 1960's.... LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Where are we going to go to get this processed. Mail it off somewhere and then 2 or 3 weeks later we get it back. It was bad enough waiting 2 or 3 days.
    There is a school of thought where it is advised that you wait 2-3 weeks before you Post Process your DSLR images to get a more objective perspective ...

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Maybe time to,get out my F5 and pro lens?
    Msmoto said:

Love this. Will have to get out my old F's and put new batteries in my Gossen Luna Pro. Of course, I am also praying the processing of this new Ektachrom is more stable than the hundreds of now nearly clear slides I have from the 1960's.... LOL

I've got a Luna Pro, too! I'll have to look for it, but I know I saw it recently. My slides (from the 70's and 80's) are still good, but my prints are pretty bad. I found another box of slides in the garage last week. I really do want to shoot some more film.

But firing off 10 frames a second at ISO 1200 with my D500 is something I can't live without now that I have it...
    Jack Roberts
    I think you will be surprised how natural it feels after the first hand full of shots.