Best 300mm DX lens

2»

Comments

• DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited January 2020
    I have bought both FX and DX. The 16-80 Nikon is easily my most used, and useful lens! I owned the Nikon70-200 2.8 VR 2. I sold that! Too heavy for field use by my standards. And the Tamron G2 150-600 is going to be purchased soon!
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    egosbar said:

very happy with the fx 70-300 vr g , reason i didnt go the dx version is there just wasnt enough reviews on it a few months ago , im definitely not unhappy i went the fx as it still gives me an option in the future to go to full frame most glass i buy now will be fx

The range (70-300) is super useful for shooting, but this lens is just a hair inaccurate when shooting bursts of action. In AF-S its a great lens, but in AF-C the focus chatters too much to nail every shot in a sequence. In my experience that is probably the main downside of that lens for DX cameras, although many might not notice this as the DX DOF and the smaller aperture (5.6+) help to hide these imperfections.
  • egosbaregosbar Posts: 65Member
    ive tracked small birds with it and the d500 once it gets them it holds them easily in continuous
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    egosbar said:

ive tracked small birds with it and the d500 once it gets them it holds them easily in continuous

Small birds at a distance with a DX sensor and small aperture give you a bunch of dof for the focus. This is exactly what I was referring to above; in these situations the lens is fine.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    We have had excellent luck with 70-300 Nikon's with the D500.
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    This is the shot I took with the new 70-300 that I purchased. I wasn't full out at 300, but at 260 on D5600.

Where is the worm?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited November 2019
    Just an update with the Nikon 70-300 AF-S FX VR, B and H is accepting them at $125, even if they don't advertise it on their trade in site. I plan to trade it in to get some value out of it and get a 70-300 AF-S AF-P FX. I do like the zoom range, and I figure I'd get some value out of it while it's still worth something.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S