The Next Place You'd Like to Visit is...

2»

Comments

• GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    edited February 2013
    It's just a general question- you don't necessarily need to go with a camera.
    So where would you want to go?
    A hard question. Before the arab spring I would have said Egypt. Now it´s too unsafe for caucasians (outside the tourist resorts), and I fear there will be nothing left to see once the turmoil there is over (may take 40 years for the dust to settle, though)

In the 80s I wanted to go to India. Not anymore. Too crowded, too volatile (in the north) just now.

I always thought about moving into Spain at my current age, but that thought is not viable any longer because Spain is in a financial crisis, which may turn into something really ugly, soon.
    I would rather not be in the epicenter of violence when that thing erupts.

Lately, I have had a recurring thought of going to Chernobyl, Ukraine. I am not too sure I could handle that.

I will probably make one trip to Norway and another to Åland in the next few years.

Post edited by Godless on
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    Woah, this is almost as fun as compiling a fantasy gear list. Some of these places I've gotten to see, but there was nothing in the OP about return visits.
    For scenery:
    Iceland
    New Zealand
    SW Coast of Ireland
    Alaska
    Desert SW of US (I've been to Moab several times, but would go back in a heartbeat)
    Iguazu Falls
    Antarctica
    Patagonia

For wildlife:
    Kenya
    Alaska
    Galapagos
    Amazon Rainforest
    I'm pretty much on the same list as You proudgeek, though I would skip Iguazu Falls and Amazon Rainforest. Foz do Iguassu is nice, but way to many tourists over there, and as much as the view from brazilian side is nice the argentinian side is much more enjoyable.
    Instead of going to Amazon Rainforest I would go to Pantanal to see jaguars.

anyway, on my travel bucket list:
    - alaska
    - south patagonia (perito moreno glacier)
    - galapagos
    - namibia
    - migration season in kenya/tanzania
    - kilimanjaro
    - kashmir in india
    - andaman islands in india
    - darjeeling in india
    - new zealand
    - north norway (nordkapp)
    - island
    - marocco
    - bhutan
    - birma
    - back to himalayas :)
    - tibet
    - mt. fuji
    - eastern islands
    - peru
    ... and many other places :)
    as for Europe... well US folks, Europe is not only France and Italy and the actual differences between particular countries are much bigger than what You have in US.
    countrysides - go to Ireland and Norway
    natur parks (wildlife) - go to Holland, Poland (biebrza for birders), Romania, Norway, Sweden
    hiking - north Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Poland, Slovakia, Ukraine
    monuments - italy, greece
    food - poland, greece, italy
    anyway, if You'll have some particular questions about Europe please feel free to PM me.
  • Wow, everybody is going back to nature.

Well for Europe I think of Holland Amsterdam, The Haque. Then choose, London, Brussel, Paris or Barcelona. The beaches in Spain and Portugal.

For Italy, Venice , Rome. Genua, Florence, Pisa. Make a tour in Umbrie for 7 days. Don't forget North Italy from the Mont Blanc to Milan and Torino, make an unforgettable local flight through the Alps from the airport of Aosta (ask for Rob Schouten).

I love the Cote-d'Azur, Nice and Cannes. Further the surrounding of Montpellier and Marseille. On the west coast the region of Normandie.

Swartzwald (South Germany) Munich, further the area around the Moezel, Trier.

Rent an apartment and a small car on Kreta for a week, it is cheap, do one day Santorini, relax because your driving speed there is 70km max. and with that speed you can drive around the Island in 2 days.

For nature Norway, Sweden and Finland, very nice people speaking English, so everybody feel at home and when you have made pictures from the fjords, you always want to go back.

In short a trillion super photo's even with a small camera, due to the Sunny weather.

OK, except Holland, England and Scotland. When you are driving through the rain curtain, you know you are in one of those countries.

I wish everybody a minimum of 1/250 sec. f/8.0, blue skies and tailwind on your trips.
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • Heee adamz, 2 minds one thought, fun.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Adam, I am sitting here laughing...now, I have been to Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Italy, and all are stunningly beautiful and have such historical significance. The scenery is breath taking as well.

However, the USA has the scenery, a wide variety of interesting people, and what we call "wide open spaces". If one can listen to A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, one can live in the society I grew up in. Or, grab a copy of the movie "Fargo" as these are the folks of my parents.

I think those who visit Colorado and find the 54 peaks over 4200 meters high will discover a lot of beauty. Or, just to the east of Glacier National Park the highway US 2...one can drive for an hour and not see anyone...and look the 25 miles up into Canada...

Hope all can "See the USA" sometime.

Some of us just want to stay home...sort of....still LOL
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    We did a - Ontario tour - for 5 weeks, spent a day through Algonquin Provincial Park and saw 2 cars that was it. But you have the same in Norway. Everything completely different from the scenery you descripe, very tempting .....

My cousin lives in Chapin, South Carolina and my aunt lived in Salt Lake City, so my mother went there a couple of times. During a tour with a rented car she saw - park - on the map and said, hee shell we make a little d-tour through the park. It took just 1 day more driving, they found out the hard way.
    Understandable, because in Holland, we make a walk through the park. :)
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @ton - there's a difference between driving a car in Norway and in US - gasoline prices :D, but true You can drive Your car for long and don't see any other cars. they even have some of the roads wide enough for only one car and from time to time they have places where You can pass the incoming car.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Adam, I am sitting here laughing...now, I have been to Germany, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Italy, and all are stunningly beautiful and have such historical significance. The scenery is breath taking as well.

However, the USA has the scenery, a wide variety of interesting people, and what we call "wide open spaces". If one can listen to A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, one can live in the society I grew up in. Or, grab a copy of the movie "Fargo" as these are the folks of my parents.

I think those who visit Colorado and find the 54 peaks over 4200 meters high will discover a lot of beauty. Or, just to the east of Glacier National Park the highway US 2...one can drive for an hour and not see anyone...and look the 25 miles up into Canada...

Hope all can "See the USA" sometime.

Some of us just want to stay home...sort of....still LOL
    Funny you mention this because my wife's relatives have traveled all over and never hardly been to a single place in the US. Kind of sad I think. There is so much great stuff to see here too. I lived in Colorado for 10 years and still love to go back.

Now that I see more ideas I would add Switzerland (the alps and towns) and Chile. I would also love to go to Slovakia and Czech are where my great great relatives are from. I think the old architecture there would be neat and the countryside beautiful.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The real way to see the country is by motorcycle. But, the cost of gasoline...when my son and I were in Canada in 2008, Nova Scotia, the bikes were getting about 18 miles per gallon (two bikes at 36 mpg) and gas was bout $6.00 per gallon. But, the experience of riding is totally different than in a car or other. One lives in the environment. And, when properly outfitted, there is no atmospheric condition which will be uncomfortable.
    The other extreme is to carry your house with you, i.e., trailer or motorhome. Motorhome is like being in your own home with all the amenities, but one cannot go in small places. Trailer is very versatile and far less expensive. Both allow a travel experience one cannot obtain with travel by air or staying in motels.

For me, the travel is about the people we interact with on the way. So, in the southeastern USA, "Y'all" is the word and in the midwest (actually the central US) "you bet" is how it goes. And, in some areas in the northern US, the folks cannot understand someone from the south....long story.

The eastern USA has a lot of history, especially surrounding the way we excused ourselves from the Brits (my apologies, this was our ancestry and has nothing to do with current citizens) :)

In the western areas one can relive the adventures of life in the wild west or the adventures of the expedition of true explorers such as Lewis and Clark.

Lots to do here in the "New World".
    Msmoto, mod
    I have to say I would much rather be in nature than in a city. I have no desire at all to ever go to NYC. I can barely stand the people and traffic in Chicago. Yellowstone and Rocky mountain national parks are some of my favorites. I would like to see glacier and Yosemite again. Acadia np is on my list.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I felt like that once tcole, but now I see the beauty in cities too. Both types of destinations are good for me.
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I have found camping with a tent in the west (and Alaska) gives you the experience of the environment because you live in it day and night. For example, you understand Alaska's short summer when you have to wait for the rising sun to thaw out your frozen tent in August before you can fold it up and put it away. I have also found making an effort to find and say in bed and breakfasts forces interaction with the locals. I have been in some where there was nothing to do other than visit with the hosts for hours each evening.
    I felt like that once tcole, but now I see the beauty in cities too. Both types of destinations are good for me.
    Oh I know. I like to walk around downtown Indianapolis and take pictures, but I think living here and knowing where I am going helps. I don't like being in busy crowded places while not knowing where I am going.
  • GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    Monument Valley in Utah. Been there once for a day long before digital photography existed. A day is not enough time. Quite a dramatic landscape. Always wanted to go back for many days just to soak up the atmosphere and photograph the changes in light.
    Monument Valley (and the surrounding area) is one of the most scenic places in all of North America to visit, and especially to photograph; to do justice to a photo trek in MV, you really should have a decent 4X4 vehicle;
    If you plan on getting "up close" to any of the big red sand stone "monuments", you'll need to hire a Navajo guide to go with you; otherwise, you'll have to do ALL of your picture taking from the dirt road; tourists are NOT ALLOWED to wander off of the road (without a Navajo Guide) As you leave the blacktop road and pass through the gate, you are no longer in the United States; You're in "The Navajo Nation"; A good thing to remember when visiting Monument Valley is "When In The Navajo Nation, Do As The Navajo Do"! Which includes, do not litter (or else), don't act stupid; (Navajo have very low tolerance for "stupid") (they're notv too terri

You can get a lot of very good shots FROM the dirt road, but you can do MUCH, MUCH better after you get away from the road.

Probably one of the most "photogenic" of all the National Parks and other sites in that entire area is Zion NP; it's many times bigger in area than Monument Valley, and you won't be obliged to deal with "cranky Indians" while you're enjoying it.

If you are ever in California and you want to see some spectacular scenery, take a drive up the road that runs north from Lake Isabella and along the Kern River; about 20 miles north you come into the Yosemite National Forest; If you have never seen sequoia trees "up close", THIS is THE place to see them ! If you went on North to Yosemite National Park, you'll see more sequoia trees, but in the NP, you have to contend with 9 million "Wal-martian" tourists, and you'll have at least a thousand in every picture you take; That's why I love going to the National Forest; same sequoia trees, but NO tourists ! Tip: if you plan to photograph sequoia trees, it's NOT easy ! (take the widest WA lens you have; The things are so big that if you get far enough away to get the whole tree in the frame, you're back among so many MORE trees that you can't see the sequoia trees. Believe me, there is no feeling like standing right next to 4 o 5 trees that are all 15 to 18 feet in dia, and 250 tall; they really make you feel "small"!

In the same forest are sugar pine trees that are 10 to 12 feet at the base, over 200 ft tall, with big 18 inch long pine cones hanging from them, and incense cedars that are also that big, and are exactly the color of freshly ground cinnamon ; (probably one of the most beautiful trees on the planet) If you ever go to Sequoia National Forest, be SURE to have a GPS, or at least a good compass; you can hike 500 feet from the road, and have to spend all day trying to find your way back! ( That not an exaggeration either; a homing pigeon will get "lost" among all of of those huge trees.)

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    So many places just a few hours drive away .. but have not gone yet :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Surprised nobody has mentioned Banff or Jasper National Parks (Canada) some of the most beautiful landscapes to be found, anywhere. Been to both twice, and must go again. Hoping to go in the fall or winter.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I second Banff and Jasper National Parks. Been once and surely would like to go again. Also Mr. Robson Provincial Park right next to Jasper: Hike the Berg Lake trail to the lake and have lake, icebergs, glacier, snow and Mr. Robson as composition elements (but you would have to spend the night in a tent scared of the bears!).