How to identify a grey market lens?

rmprmp Posts: 586Member
Other that the missing warranty, how can a grey market Nikon lens be identified?
Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
Tagged:

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    You can usually work that out when you buy it as it says sellers warrantee or you can try to regiser it with the maker......after you had it for 12 months and want to sell it then who cares ..you can also see the marks on the box EU or US depending where you live or JP if its a japan import and no warrantee.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Are there any marks on the lens or camera?
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2017
    Not usually. In the past USA units would have "US" before the serial number, but I don't now if that is still done.

Most of the distributors use stickers on the box (Canadian sold has a big Maple Leaf for the warranty sticker on the box), or in the Case of Nikon Canada and USA they used to use different boxes.

In the film days Nikon USA went even farther and renamed products. The Nikon Film cameras were often "N"xxx rather than "F"xxx. Example, the F90 was sold as such everywhere outside the US, were it was sold as the N90. Kind of like how Canon sells the KISS cameras (Japan) as Rebel Txxx (Canada, USA) or as xxxD models in Europe.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    No marks on lens or camera other than the serial number ...
  • decentristdecentrist Posts: 33Member
    edited February 2017
    Call Nikon, or try Roland Vink's website
    Post edited by decentrist on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Typically serial number ranges are assigned to each country. I like this site for that sort of info:
    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html