I think I need to hack my Nikon.

OceanbouyOceanbouy Posts: 3Member
I recently bought the D810 and have run into a couple issue that I can't find a way around.

Issue one is related to the toggle dials
I like to setup my front dial to control my aperture
An the back dial to control my shutter
This has always seemed very logical as the aperture sits in front of the shutter.
On my d60 then D90 then D700 this was always possible
Now it seems Nikon has removed this option and it's messing up my chi lol

The more frustrating issue is that I enjoy shooting reverse macro shots

And had wanted to shoot some reverse macro video.. But the D810 won't start recording video because it can't sense what aperture the lens is at.
The camera will still fire the shutter and take photos but when in live view it won't start recording.
I would have to teather through hdmi port and that work for insects in the field.

Any ideas on how I can get the dials to reverse their position.
All I can get is shutter on the front dial and aperture in the back.

And what would I need to jimmy inside the camera to get it to assume f22.
Or can I somehow hack the firmware to remove the little apperature icon with the exclamation mark and always assume f22 if no lens is connected.

Thanks for any help
Tagged:

Comments

• IanGIanG Posts: 106Member
    For reversing the dials I thought there was a setting (Custom SettingMenu, F) but I might be wrong - as to setting a 'false' aperture value, SETUP Menu, Non-CPU lens data and create a false lens - then just set the camera to that when you use your reverse macro.
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    Not sure which D60 you had, but I'm fairly certain those had one dial.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    " I like to setup my front dial to control my aperture
    "

Isn't it the default setting anyway ( for all Nikons with front/rear dials ) ?
  • Paperman said:

" I like to setup my front dial to control my aperture
    "

Isn't it the default setting anyway ( for all Nikons with front/rear dials ) ?

I can't speak for all Nikons, it was the default on my 810....
  • ericktessierericktessier Posts: 38Member
    I tought it was the default setting too. At least... it is on all the Nikon body I tested (D70, D70s, D80, D90, D7000, D7100, D200, D300, D300s, D800).
    Did you had a look to the manual?
  • OceanbouyOceanbouy Posts: 3Member
    edited March 2017
    Thanks Ian
    I had not seen the non cpu menu item or
    Had never used it till now.
    It has removed the apperature warning icon.
    Unfortunately the camera still won't record but I've realized it is because my reversing adaptor doesn't have the cutout to allow the Nikon lens lock (the flat one) to pop up. And apparently the camera won't record unless that lock button is up.

I still can't find the menu item that has the sub command reverse options
    I agree it's supposed to be in F and there does exist the F9 customize command dials (in my d700 and d810) and inside that The "change main/sub" option.
    But when I go into that option in my d810 they have hidden inside that two menu options for "exposure setting" and "autofocus setting" which seem unrelated to the sub command dials.
    Post edited by Oceanbouy on
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Copied from somewhere .......

" F9 is a bit confusing.

Off = regular set-up on the dials. The back dial (command) controls the shutter speed. The front dial (sub-command) controls the aperture.

On = reversing that set-up. The back dial does the aperture and the front dial does the shutter speed. This also reverses the AF option selections. The AF mode is now selected with the front dial and the areas are selected via the back dial."
  • OceanbouyOceanbouy Posts: 3Member
    Awesome. I had that turned on
    Turning it off has the setup the dials the way I prefer.
    I'm pretty certain it wasn't off by default when I first picked up the camera.
    But once I drill a hole in my reversing mount I'll be completely solved.
    Thanks for your help Ian and paperman.