28mm 1.4E

nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
Anyone going for it?

28mm 50/58mm 105mm seems like a nice set. :) 28mm and 85mm made a nice travel combo on a trip to Japan as well.

I currently have the 28mm 1.8G and really like it. I bought a used copy based on a suggestion here. Now I use it all the time. I'd really like to see it a little bit sharper when opened right up and a little less distortion near the edges. But overall a nice lens. Wondering how many issues are addressed with this new lens. I'd be into better color, contrast, bokeh etc... Price is pretty steep though. Thoughts?

Comments

• The 28 f1.8 is a fine instrument which I use for landscapes and closeups, mostly stopped down, rarely at widest aperture. Grear color, CAs not noticeable, and adequately sharp wide open. It gives me excellent results with no apparent focus shift. So why buy the 28 1.4? Can't think of a good reason other than I think I want it. Always thought the Leica 28 summilux would be an ultimate lens choice for my style. Let's say I am open to an affair with the 1.4 while still married to the 1.8. I was never impressed by the 58 f 1.4 (rented), and could not deal with the 24mm 1.4's serious limitations (bought and sold). So just maybe this 1.4 will be convincing enough to put into my collection. Sample images look great.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited June 2017
    Considering that we got a 28mm 1.8 G back in 2012 according to a quick search for DPReview, did we really need an E update for an expensive fast wide prime?

Sincerely,

A DX Shooter

*with much sarcasm*
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    I'm wondering if this lens could also be a sharper 35(ish)mm with a 1.2 crop on my D810. Would the distortion be more controlled in this mode? I know a lot of people say you can zoom with your feet, but I've always thought the different focal lengths have different perspectives so I'm wondering if you would still have a similar perspective with the 28mm 1.2 crop rather than the look of a 35mm. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but curious about the possibility. It would almost be like 2 lenses in one except for the loss of a few mega pixels (around 25mp vs 36 I believe.)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    When you crop you use the best bit of the lens, so it's gonna be good.
    Always learning.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    You don't even have to think specific lenses or crop factors.
    It's your distance to the subject that decides the perspective.
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • At the same magnification, a 28mm has a wider angle of view than say a 50mm. So the wider lens encompasses more "ground" than a 50. You cannot gain the same perspective using different focal lengths. It is not possble. Even the difference between a 24 and 28 is enough for me to own both. And even with those, moving back or forward does not give you the same perspective. This is a misnomer. I really like wides to get in close, with high magnification of a primary subject in the forground, focusing at hyperfical point, and capturing a wider field of view of all other elements in the image. If you are shooting a group of people for instance at infinity, then moving back and forth to fit them in the image makes sense. For what I do, i am not usually working at infinity and dont have the luxury of moving far enough back on a mountain trail or adjacent to a narrow trail along a river.