Do you need more stuff?

2»

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2017
    Noosa is gorgeous :-)

And the sheilas are not shy on the beautiful beaches .... unfortunately i am not into beach portraits :-) mind you I love the beaches and the water... ( coolpix w300 soon... hoping for aw2 but its probably never going to arrive ... )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    That is an 18 year old Shiela.....
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Ok....maybe I need a d850.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    That was me when the D7500 came out. I was fine with one card slot and no AI-S support with the D40. Just buy a bigger SD card.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,344Member
    I can hear, I can hear the thunder ... :)

Nice stuff there tcole!

I can't let go of that 70-200G. Need it for those nice interior shots in churches and school auditoriums of the adorable younger family members.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    If I can veer slightly off topic I'm currently shooting with a 24-85 VR on both of my cameras. I find the focal length range really useful for a number of situations. My beefs primarily stem from vignetting and a bit of softness at places in the range.

Is the 24-120 substantially better? Nasim seems convinced it is. I've looked at the test data on both and my untrained eye doesn't see a noticeable difference. If anything the 24-85 seems to test a little better. Is there a better alternative out there?
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Even though I have tons of gear, I keep coming back to the same lenses all the time; my holy trinity, and my 200mm f/2. The rest... not so much.

So do I need anymore gear? No.

However, I might sell my D800 and get the D850 when it comes out. I do like having two bodies, and with my current D800 and D810 combo, the D800 is starting to feel a bit long in the tooth, and I reckon after a while I will feel that way about my D810 in comparison to the D850. I will not however update my lenses with the newer ones, unless any breaks.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Capt_Spaulding OK, off-topic possibly, but lets say you are asking on the basis of do you need more stuff (24-120 VR)...

The 24-120 is such a useful focal length range that I bought one for wedding use as a kit with my D750. It disappointed me with its average VR and poor IQ at around 80mm. OK, that may be worse wide open, but weddings need the best low light performance. I sold it.

I have the excellent 24-35 f2 Sigma, but miss the 24-120 range badly.
    Always learning.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    edited August 2017
    Staying off-topic, shouldn't we expect a new E version of the 24-120 from Nikon? We could hope for improved optics. Then (back on topic) I would fairly quickly "need" this specific new stuff, as I, too, find 24-70 too short for "wedding like" events even on DX.
    Post edited by Sports on
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited August 2017
    hahaha :D B)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I'm sure the entire line will be given an E treatment, assuming Nikon doesn't shift its focus to mirrorless in the next few years. If they do, don't expect a lot of new F-mount glass after that.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited August 2017
    PB_PM said:

I'm sure the entire line will be given an E treatment, assuming Nikon doesn't shift its focus to mirrorless in the next few years. If they do, don't expect a lot of new F-mount glass after that.

They have been facing increasing scrutiny over the years to get away from the F mount and I think the next 5 years for Nikon will be very interesting to say the least. I don't think they can keep losing money to the mirror-less market for too much longer. Sony has been killing them for half a decade already here. I for one would not touch a Sony and would go down with the Nikon ship if need be. Nikon + Leica for life (since 1996) or as long as possible :)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    There are many ways Nikon can go, but they don't have to leave the f-mount just because they shift to mirrorless. They can just carry on the current camera lines but make them mirrorless. I think another interesting way is to start a mirrorless mf mount that can use f-mount lenses with an adapter. The adapter can even include a converter to make the image fill the sensor.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 909Member
    I think my mind has changed about more stuff. The last couple of weeks I've been shooting video of song birds up close and personal. I know a smooth video tripod is coming soon. The video teaser of the D850 has me intrigued as I'm up an shooting baited birds at sunrise and again at dusk. What remains to be found out about the video capabilities of the D850 is the length and how long the battery charge will last. The other stuff would be glass in the 35-70 range that would give the best clean sharp details. This old dog has to have the right stuff to learn new tricks.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    snakebunk said:

There are many ways Nikon can go, but they don't have to leave the f-mount just because they shift to mirrorless. They can just carry on the current camera lines but make them mirrorless. I think another interesting way is to start a mirrorless mf mount that can use f-mount lenses with an adapter. The adapter can even include a converter to make the image fill the sensor.

Nikon has made it clear recently that increasing revenue is the priority, so don't expect the F-mount to stick around with the launch of the mirrorless system. The best way to increase revenue is to force users to buy into a new system with new bodies and lenses. An adaptor for the F-mount sure, but native, not a chance.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 909Member
    If users are forced into a totally new system by Nikon will they stay with Nikon? Nikon is not the only game in town. Seems to me they would just be opening the door for competitors to welcome a lot of Nikon users to their fold.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If Nikon is able to come out with a good crop sensor mirrorless sometime in the near future, I can stick with what I have. But, at age 75, the D4/400/2.8 is getting a bit heavy. So, more stuff? Yup, may have to get a Sony, but, only after divesting of some of the heavy things I have now.
    Msmoto, mod
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member
    Let me know if you'd like to make me a smashing deal on that 400 f/2.8. I'm always willing to do what I can to help lower the weight of your gear.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Oh, I love it.... but, maybe I will hire a Sherpa before selling the 400/2.8. It is one of the sharpest lenses i have ever held. In any case, if I go to Sony, most of my gear will go up on eBay or something like that.

I think, however, Nikon may come through and produce a mirrorless pro body like the Sony Alpha a9, as IMO this is the way all still imaging will go. For me, it is just about getting the technology of the viewfinders to appear as though they are ground glass.
    Msmoto, mod