Nikon equivalent to Canon MP-E macro?

tlarsentlarsen Posts: 2Member
I've never seen any explanation for why Nikon won't produce a manual macro lens like the Canon MP-E that gets 5:1. There isn't even anything close to that magnification, and stacking extension tubes and teleconverters, reversing lenses, etc. just doesn't get there with the same quality. If I wouldn't need to sell off so much gear I would definitely switch to Canon only because of this lens. Does anyone know why Nikon hasn't attempted anything? Is the niche market for it just too small for Nikon to bother? Sorry if I missed any previous threads on this topic

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    5:1 is a tough magnification to deal with .. my friend has this lens .. he doesn't use it much at all.. are you sure you really want 5:1 ???
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• tlarsentlarsen Posts: 2Member
    I've used it before and love it. I'm a macrophotographer of insects and filling the frame with small creatures is necessary, despite the lens challenges
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It is a lens that I would like to see in the line-up too, but my macro needs are satisfied by 1:1 max. I find the depth of field challenges of shooting even at around 1:2 and shooting my favourite subjects (butterflies) which are strongly 2 dimensional to be difficult enough if one demands pin-sharpness at 100%. I know I would not do more than try some shots at 5:1 for the wow factor, then I am confident it wouldn't get much use after that.
    Always learning.