Native ISO 25600, Extended to ISO 102400
    7 fps Shooting for 51 Frames with AE/AF
    8K Time-Lapse, Negative Digitizer Mode
    180k-Pixel RGB Sensor, Auto Focus Shift
    SnapBridge Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

Almost 50M and higher ISO.

Denver Shooter
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    ... and (if one assumes the quoted US Price excludes any "sales Tax") then it's around £340 ( roughly €370) +VAT more expensive in the UK & Europe than in the US!! Why??
    Why isn't the price without VAT roughly the same across the world?
    In Australia for example, the price quoted by commenters on the main blog post is more than $1600 AUD more than in the US. GST in Australia is only 10%, so why the price hyke?

Sorry, rant over...

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Currency differences suck. It's 4399 in Canada. Companies tend to us the US dollar as the base for product prices. The US dollar is simply a higher valued currency than the Aussi or Canadian dollar.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    edited August 2017
    PB_PM said:

Currency differences suck. It's 4399 in Canada. Companies tend to us the US dollar as the base for product prices. The US dollar is simply a higher valued currency than the Aussi or Canadian dollar.

The difference in price though is not just because of currency exchange rates...
    For example:
    UK: £3499 - 20% (VAT) = £2916.
    $3297 USD in GBP = £2574

Assuming the quoted US price is excluding sales tax, and excluding VAT, the camera costs £342 ($437 USD) more to buy in the UK. If the US price includes sales tax, then this difference is even greater!

In Australia the price is being reported as between $5399 and $5799 AUD.
    Sales Tax (GST) in Australia is a mere 10% making the pre sales tax price between: $4908 and $5271, whereas, $3297 USD = $4172 AUD.. so it's between $736 and $1099 AUD more expensive in Australia!

Canadian Dollar the difference is actually a bit less $3297 = $4125 CAD, but still a good couple of hundred CAD more expensive.

OK, so I realise there are differences in shipping costs, etc. but £340 per camera... I'm not believing that!

Sorry again for the rant, but it really gets on my nerves when companies charge more for the same product purely based on geographic location of the buyer (e.g. Adobe CC .. $9.99 IS NOT £9.99 or €9.99!!!)
    Probably worse in Adobe's case since they have no extra shipping costs etc.

:)

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
    Post edited by bald_eagle on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Here-here Baldy.
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Well if someone can tell me if it still has the stupid unlockable memory banks I would be one step closer or or not to buying one .....
  • MegapixelSchnitzelMegapixelSchnitzel Posts: 185Member

Well if someone can tell me if it still has the stupid unlockable memory banks I would be one step closer or or not to buying one .....

One should be able to download a manual in .pdf and find out!
    Manual not available yet and I discover it does have the rubbish pro control memories
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member

Manual not available yet and I discover it does have the rubbish pro control memories

Perhaps a move to another brand would be better for you?

In the meantime keep jousting with that windmill and let us know how it works out for you in the end...

LOLROF

Denver Shooter
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    Someday Nikon will change their memory banks.
    donaldejose.....lets hope the mirrorless moves forward in the memory bank area ...
    Windmills ..WTF ????
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    edited August 2017
    Nikon would be able to implement U1, U2, Uxx as a pure software thing. Press one (programmable) button + turn a wheel.
    No extra buttons and no new wheel needed.
    Once implemented in software, it would be more or less free to add to all pro bodies, even as a firmware update if the camera in question has some unused memory.
    As a software engineer, I would estimate the amount of work to be
    1 day - get the basic selection to work
    1 day - define how to store settings, and make it work
    2 days - get user feedback (display and menu item(s)) to work
    6 days - get the subset of features right - which features belong to a U bank? - figure out and change some internal interfaces, so that the new selection mechanism can actually store and retrieve the desired settings
    5 days - figure out how to share the feature among all pro bodies
    3 day - update internal specifications and documentation
    1 day - specify a test procedure
    1 day - update user guide (one language)
    These estimates are maningless, of course, as I don't know anything about Nikon firmware ... except that they're useually pretty bad at software. If it's really bad, you can easily count weeks instead of days, except for the user guide item.
    Post edited by Sports on
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    edited August 2017

donaldejose.....lets hope the mirrorless moves forward in the memory bank area ...
    Windmills ..WTF ????

Don Quixote, Man of La Mancha, Jousting with windmills while riding a donkey.

A fruitless exercise in futility...

Denver Shooter
    Post edited by DenverShooter on
    edited August 2017
    I display such ignorance ...banging your head against a brick wall I guess is the equivalent.

Sports ..yes but you missed out the brain transplant phase

Spraynpray ,,,we are getting into that dual D850 thread again ...put the two together ??
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    edited August 2017
    Pistnbroke: there is a song from the musical version about "The Impossible Dream." It is joke slamming on Nikon. Not impossible to change those memory banks. Don't know why Nikon doesn't do it. I wonder if any of their pro shooters don't want them changed?
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    Nikon dont have any real world pro shooters just pratts.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Yet another negative Pistnbroke Time you changed Brands. or are you a Canon provocateur? LOL
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I have never shot a serious JPEG in my life. Would improved memory banks be useful to a Raw shooter like me?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The banks on pro cameras are similar to the user modes on the lower end bodies, just without the ability to lock or save those settings. Never had any trouble with it on the pro bodies I used in the past, but I do like the user modes more.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    paulr....have 5 Nikon bodies for my business and I hate Canon ..they cannot even get the on off switch in the right place . I just think if the Nikon ambasadors were in the real world they would advise Nikon of the opinion of many that one of the memory banks should be lockable
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Having met several Nikon Ambassadors at NPS meeting I have found them very dedicated photographers and prepared to go that extra mile to help other photographers . They can only advice Nikon on their findings, what Nikon do with that information is up to Nikon themselves. To regard them all as "Pratts" , quite frankly is inappropriate, especially coming from a professional photographer on a public forum.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits