I am new

I'm new to Nikon and this forum. I am buying the D500 with 200-500. What shorter lens should I get? Do you recommend the 18-140?

Comments

• SearcySearcy Posts: 147Member
    My Nikor DX 35mm 1.8 is my cheapest and favorite lens.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 408Member
    Welcome to NR. I have an 18-140 lens and one of the best 17x22 images I've ever printed came from using it on a D5300. I don't think 3 MP less would make much diff.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 5,318Moderator
    I know you asked for one,but with the 200-500/D500 combo, I'd say 16-80 and 70-200 f4. Brilliant set-up.
    Always learning.
  • lurechunkerlurechunker Posts: 4Member
    I am very interested in the 16-80 and would appreciate opinions from those who have used it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 5,318Moderator
    I have it. It is the best DX 'kit' lens they've mad IMHO.
    Always learning.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 313Member
    Welcome to NR. I use the D500 for work and it's a great camera. The 200-500mm stays on it the majority of the time. I have used the 18-140mm and it is a good lens. It is weak between 18 and 24mm and when wide open. It is best between 24-140mm, stopped down to f8 to f16. I have not used the 16-80mm. I agree with @FreezeAction comment I have seen some great images using the 18-400mm and @spraynpray recommendations and that you will have a pretty sweet setup.
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 132Member
    edited August 30
    Welcome! I have the 200-500 with the D500 and it is a great combo. I also purchased the TC1.4 just for that extra reach when needed. For a shorter lens I own the 18-140mm which was the kit lens for the D5600 when I bought it. Like others have stated, it is a great lens and gives you close to the useful 24-200 range on DX (considering crop factor). I also have the DX 35 f/1.8 which is a great little fast lens on DX.

From experience, I would suggest if there is any chance that you will go FX, to purchase FX glass. May cost more up front, but will make the transition later cheaper. I purchased the 70-200 f/2.8 and have never looked back. Also just purchased the 24-70 f/2.8 which will make my favorite trinity: 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, and 200-500 f/5.6. All will be used on my D500. I will still use the 18-140mm for when I need to go wider than 24, but currently I rarely shoot below 24mm.
    Post edited by webmastadj on
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Posts: 16Member
    I have the same setup, and the lenses I have to go with the D500 and my D750 are the 28-300mm, 50mm f/1.4, and for the wide end and Astro the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8. I highly recommend the 28-300mm. You'll have a little bit of overlapping in focal length, but that's okay. The 28-300 is a lot of lens in a reasonably sized package.
    I am mostly a birder and will use the 200-500 for that. I also like to do clouds over the ocean just before sunrise. Would the f/1.8 35mm be good for that? Trying to avoid a divorce.
  • BetelgeuseBetelgeuse Posts: 16Member
    edited August 30
    Well all you really need to know is your field of view captured for any given focal length. For the longest time 35mm was used for everything. Weather or not 35mm will work for you is dependent on what result you want. Take a look at this link to see the differences is field of view for different focal lengths.

My Link isn't attaching from my phone, so I'll post it into this text. Also there's the whole crop sensor thing vs FX, but I digress..

http://cdn-7.nikon-cdn.com/Images/Learn-Explore/Photography-Techniques/2009/Focal-Length/Media/red-barn-sequence.jpg
    Post edited by Betelgeuse on
  • sportsport Posts: 23Member
    I really liked the 35mm f/1.8 when I was shooting dx. It seemed to be the go to lens for general photos.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 1,198Member
    edited August 31
    18-140 brilliant and cheap grey ..have two used for a couple of years ..no problem
    You want one lens to do everyting except when birding and not changing lenses and letting dirt in ....
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 182Member
    I now have a 18-140 welded on my D7000, replaced a 18-200. IMHO the best compromise of full-range zoom vs image quality for 16MP, and I've read others who are satisfied at 24MP. If you want tack-sharp it's not going to satisfy, but for web-sized images I think it works just fine.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 1,791Member
    Depends on what sort of work you want to do and how wide you want to open up your wallet. I know it's far and few in between, but if you want to do mainly macros, a 35mm prime won't do you any good, although DX shooters tend to like that lens a lot. A good general purpose zoom like many have said is the 18-140.

The 35mm AF-S DX is also another nice option if your budget is tight.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I'd appreciate comments on the Sig 17-50 to go along with my birding lens.
  • retreadretread Posts: 403Member
    I have the Sigma 17-50 it is a great lens. Especially at the price.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,107Member
    edited September 4
    The sigma 17-50 f2.8 was the sharpest "normal" zoom lense when it first came out. I think it was one of the first sigmas just before the "ART" series.. which used their new design/testing processes.. sort of the precursor of their successful "Art" development process. Its cheap too now..

I also understand the usual sigma AF compatibility issues need to be considered. others with hands on experience may comment.. I really know nothing :-) just researched quite a bit as I was considering lenses in this range for a long time...

Although nowadays I would seriously consider the 16-80 nikkor... F2.8-4.0.. also an issue/factor with these 2 is the Price.

Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,303Moderator
    edited September 4
    How about someone starting a discussion on a specific lens/body as desired and let the newcomers drop info here as related to their introduction to the Forum?

Thanks much
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • HikerHiker Posts: 86Member
    retread said:

I have the Sigma 17-50 on my 7200. It's my walk around lens. If I need wider, which is a necessity in Horseshoe Bend or Meteor Crater, I put on my Tokina 11-20mm f2.8. I have noticed a "softness" at 50mm, but I hardly use that focal length. The only reason I noticed it was there was a baby Praying Mantis resting on my outside wall that I shot. Used this combo with great results, despite it being mid day, in the Grand Canyon last week.
  • retreadretread Posts: 403Member
    Hiker said:

retread said:

I have the Sigma 17-50 on my 7200. It's my walk around lens. If I need wider, which is a necessity in Horseshoe Bend or Meteor Crater, I put on my Tokina 11-20mm f2.8. I have noticed a "softness" at 50mm, but I hardly use that focal length. The only reason I noticed it was there was a baby Praying Mantis resting on my outside wall that I shot. Used this combo with great results, despite it being mid day, in the Grand Canyon last week.
    I also have the 11-20 f2.8 if I need wider. Seldom go wide but a good lens when I need it. I shoot with a D5100 and a D500. My son has a D7200 but I have not used it yet.