D850 Buffer

13»

Comments

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited September 2017
    Yep, the 200 shot series is a limitation in the camera to prevent that you put your camera in a bag and it burns through your card, taking a thousand shots because something is pressing the shutter....
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Killerbob said:

I have been on the horn with Nikon today, and by resetting the D850 to complete standard, I am finally getting the expected performance numbers.

Without the battery grip, at 7fps, RAW only onto XQD, large, lossless compression, 14-bit, I get 50/51 shots in the buffer. D-Lighting and Long Exposure NR is OFF, ISO has to be under 3200, and no distortion control. All of these things affect the buffer size. They confirmed this is true with all the XQD cards they have tested with, and that the Sony G series is amongst the absolute fastest available.

The second you add the battery grip and EN-EL18, the 9fps means the buffer fills up faster and hence it only holds around 36/37 shots, before it starts slowing down. It is like someone said, pure math.

They are working on getting better performance on the faster cards, but that'll be in a future FW.

Thanks Killerbob for the undate! I use distortion control and a slower SD of x300 speed so I am sure it is affecting my D850 like yours. Might be time for me to reset mine to factory settings as well...
  • CoastalconnCoastalconn Posts: 527Member
    Request... What is the buffer like with 9 fps and 12 bit lossless... Also what is the buffer like in 1.2x mode in 12 and 14 bit lossless? Thanks...
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I would love to, but the MB-D18s are really behind. I think that it will be a month before I get mine.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    LOL. You guys are going to wear out the cameras experimenting with the buffer.

I just wish I was good enough to use one.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member

LOL. You guys are going to wear out the cameras experimenting with the buffer.

You do have a point:) The first 1’000 shots was playing with the camera...
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited October 2017
    "Buffer size" in first years of digital photography used to indicate no of continuous shots one could take REGARDLESS of what speed card he used which was the true meaning of buffer - the available memory in the camera. These days, the term is used for the number of shots that can be taken WITH the fastest / ultra speed card available which gives room to manufacturers to play with figures and get away with excuses.
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Typical of the downward spiraling standards of behavior in most things these days Paperman.
    Always learning.