Associations and insurances

Hello all. I do semi-professional photography in North America, mostly event photography. I say semi-professional because I have a full-time job as a director of operations and events manager. Still, I use all professional gear and my typical gig bag is valued at $15,000 for a single job. That is a lot to be carrying around and, if for no other reason than feeling better, I am interested in getting equipment insurance. I have seen that some professional organizations offer members insurance with options for upgrading that coverage.

Firstly, what are the top professional organizations? Largest? Most recognized? Most prestigious? I figure it can’t hurt to display organizations for marketing purposes.

Secondly, what are your thoughts on these insurance coverages? Those included with membership? Those purchased for additional coverage? Those purchased without affiliation with (independent of) an organization?

I am an educator, so I could qualify for education discounts with many organizations. As a part-time, semi-professional photographer, I am trying to balance annual income versus membership/insurance. I’ll probably get some kind of insurance regardless of organization. Still, would love your thoughts!


  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 398Member
    Check your homeowners insurance company. I am paying 1% of my gear cost for full coverage (including dropping or incidental damage) with zero deductible.

    Denver Shooter
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,454Member
    edited November 2017
    Just watch if you used a rider on your home owners insurance, if you have a set number of free replacements, using them for commercially used (business use) camera gear could cause you to loose that.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,333Member
    edited November 2017
    Go to a proper photographers insurance company then any claims will not affect your house insurance and also get liability insurance in case of any complaints. Fit a floor safe. fit at least one of your cameras with a tracker.
    Both of us go wired . Once you say "let me have the exact details of your complaint so I can compare it with the 14hrs of audio recording I have " the complaint goes away ( unless of course its genuine).Usually problems are caused by hotel managers or celebrants. " Actions of authorised persons beyond our control " Put in your contract " conversations may be recorded to ensure compliance with your requirements "
    I joined the british MPA ( and BIPP ) many years ago but found it a waste of time as it was run for the benefit of the Masons. I now put qualified with MPA, BIPP, RPS but don't pay the annual fee.. I still have the certificates to prove it .
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 398Member

    I joined the british MPA ( and BIPP ) many years ago but found it a waste of time as it was run for the benefit of the Masons.

    The Masons run/benefit from the MPA & BIPP? Who knew?

    Can the Illuminati be far behind??

    Where is Robert Langdon when you need him??

    Denver Shooter
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,333Member
    Denver shooter ..I will just go lie in my coffin while I work that post out .....
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    I am also interested in this. I don't have a business license but would want liability insurance mostly for when I shoot with models but don't want to nessarerly put that on my home owners insurance.
Sign In or Register to comment.