New Nikon D850 Owner

Hello, everyone! I walked into my local camera shop and they had a Nikon D850 sitting on the shelf. I told myself that if I saw one, I was going to avoid it like the plague since I already have a Canon 5D Mark IV and some "L" series lenses sitting at home.

Well, here I am. I bought the D850, battery grip, and a NIKKOR 50mm F/1.8 to get started with. Any tips, hints, or tricks as I begin using it? I have managed to figure out the differences in controls and have gotten some great photos so far. (Honestly this camera blows out the Mark IV. I love it.)

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Why do you think it is better than the Canon? As a D850 owner myself, the Mark IV is no slouch.

Which Canon lenses do you have?

What subjects do you shoot?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    The 5D4 is Canon's best ever DSLR and their dual pixel AF is gorgeous. Biggest problem with their top cameras seems to be that there aren't many photographers good enough to get the best out of the AF. If I won the lottery I would prolly have one (and a D850).
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Canon's sensors don't have the dynamic range of the Sony sensors, that's about the only real difference.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2017
    Quote...Any tips, hints, or tricks as I begin using it?

What I do with every Nikon I buy is go to the flash menu and set the Flash Programme to FP 1/320 and flash sync to 1/60 . Then test out the Picture control adjusting the sharpness as high as you think is ok ( 9 for me ) Some older lenses like a little extra contrast.I leave the other controls alone. None of this will affect the RAW. Then auto iso 200 to 6400. Min shutter to 1/60. The 200 means when you attach a flash the iso goes to 800 for greater range and less battery drain (iso 100 gives 400 ). Fit a silicone skin if available.
    I buy a cheap 3rd party grip and take out the connector and use it to carry spare battery/AAs for the flash etc. Then fit a 30cent 150 LB fishing swivel to one of the strap lugs and hang my $4000 camera by that over one shoulder. I like both hands free to handle the bride. Then I go make money.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • BamBamBambrickBamBamBambrick Posts: 13Member
    You've got to be loving what an extra stop + of DR does for you especially in post.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @blairian: First of all...congratulation on purchase. You are going to have a lot of fun with the D850 body and the 50 1.8. That said, you are on the right path, hence, getting to know the controls and how they work.

Shooting at night or in areas that light is changing or challenging...will provide you with the best way to master the settings and the cameras operation, giving the type of photography you like to do (street photograph, landscape, people, etc..etc).

The more you share with us about yourself and the things you like to do...the better the community at large can provide aid.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Golf007sd said:

@blairian: First of all...congratulation on purchase. You are going to have a lot of fun with the D850 body and the 50 1.8. That said, you are on the right path, hence, getting to know the controls and how they work.

Shooting at night or in areas that light is changing or challenging...will provide you with the best way to master the settings and the cameras operation, giving the type of photography you like to do (street photograph, landscape, people, etc..etc).

The more you share with us about yourself and the things you like to do...the better the community at large can provide aid.

I haven't seen you in a while Golf, nice to see you.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Life has a way of getting in the way of thing my friend. I'm please to be back. :smiley:
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |