New Lense Purchase

BradD7200BradD7200 Posts: 15Member
In southern Ontario this is prime Snowy Owl season for the next couple of months so with the lense on the blink I am thinking about picking up the Nikon AF-S 200-500MM F5.6E ED VR, looks to be a decent lense for my type of shooting from the reviews and looking at images on Flickr. Price is not that high compared to other comparable lenses, this way I won't have photography withdrawals during my vacation. Anyone shooting with this rig, my D7200 would be a good body I am thinking for this one. Then when my other lense comes back from repair I will have 2 good quaility lenses for different outings. Have thought about the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300MM FED IF-ED but a little short. Could get a teleconvertor but the cost would be up there to the point where a new 80-400 ED VR would even make sense. Though call, once I get in the store I will be able to hold them and make a decision.

* My current NIKON AF-S 80-400MM F/4.5-5.6G ED VR is heading in for service today so that could take 2 months with the Christmas period upon us. The older ver of this lense the Nikon 80-400 4.5-5.6 was my main lense for years before giving it to my brother. Can be purchased for about $900 bucks, not sure how it would preform on my D7200. I used to shoot with this older ver on a D50.

A good lesson to be learned by me as only having 1 lense for shooting may come back to bit you at some point. So having a 2nd one could be a decent investment long term.

Comments

• MattinNJ81MattinNJ81 Posts: 25Member
    I just got the 200-500mm and am loving it so far. The maximum f/5.6 and slowerish autofocus were the biggest complaints I heard about this lens before buying, but neither had been any sort of hindrance for me. I use the lens on a D500 primarily for birds.
  • BradD7200BradD7200 Posts: 15Member
    Thanks for the info, that helps from someone that shoots birds as I do.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2017
    I use the first generation AF-S 200-400mm F4G VR for birding now days, but I did try out the 200-500 VR a few months back. A good lens for DX cameras for sure, and sharper than either of the 80-400mm VR lenses without a doubt. Those snowy owls tend to be very sensitive to encroachment, so the longer focal range you have the better. I used to shoot them with the AF-S 300mm F4D ED (with 1.4TC) and that did a good job as well, certainly sharper than any of the zooms in this discussion. The only downside is you don't have the zoom flexibility for when subjects get closer.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • stephens7stephens7 Posts: 9Member
    edited December 2017
    Sorry for being petty, but

There is no E at the end of the word LENS

A pet peeve of mine...
    Post edited by stephens7 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    There's no 'k' and the end of 'word' either LOL!

Stephens7: If you feel compelled to correct grammar and spelling around here, you're going to be busy ;-)
    Always learning.