D850 vs 14-24

webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
After finishing a photoshoot, I noticed I needed a little wider than my D500 paired with the 24-70 can offer. So the simple question is: D850 or 14-24mm?

Without the 1.5x crop factor of the D500, I could get what I need at 24mm FX. But at half the price of a D850, I can complete my trinity with the 14-24mm and use that instead.

So between the D850 and the 14-24mm, which would you choose?

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I think that your choice is D850 AND 14-24 OR a wide angle DX zoom.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I think you need to figure out whether you plan on using filters or not, as using filters with the 14-24 is not impossible, but an expensive pain in the butt. Also, do you plan on using FX in the future? If you are, a 14-24 wouldn't be a bad idea. If not, just get a DX wide angle.

Also, if you think you can stitch, I think you could also push back a wide angle lens purchase.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    14-24 Sigma?
    Always learning.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Your problem is you are using a 24mm on a DX. Would you not be better with a 16-XX or 18-XX ? Clearly your client is not interested in top quality or you would not be using 20MP Camera .
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    So does that make the `D5 a pile of crap. Pistnbroke LOl?
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    edited May 2018
    Its horses for courses..to me 20 mp in FX is crap.
    To me a photoshoot implies a commercial job ...a D5 is not the beast for 24mm not enough POI ..more for sports action with a longer lens.
    In truth we don't know enough about what the poster is trying to photograph.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • webmastadjwebmastadj Posts: 219Member
    Thanks for the insights!

My rule has been to only buy FX glass from this point on. I have a few DX lenses but they seem to pale in comparison in sharpness and color. Not that DX is terrible, but I rather save the money for nicer glass then spending it on DX lenses. I currently own 50mm f/1.8, 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, and 200-500 f/5.6 so I have the range to support an FX camera. I do have the 18-140mm for DX but rarely use it now.

Why D850 vs another FX camera? The D850 will give me the best bang for the buck. Higher MP, FX sensor, exact same controls as the D500, XQD (which I already own the cards)...I just see that duo (D850 and D500) as my sweet spot.

There are filters available for the 14-24mm. Check Lee Filters site. Now I did purchase the 100mm filters so if I purchase the 14-24, I would need to pick up the 150mm system.

My thoughts on the MP debate: it does and doesn't matter. Unless you get clients that know the difference in images, then it doesn't matter. The clients I will be aiming for will not know the difference. Now, this doesn't mean I wouldn't like the higher MP of the D850 but I don't see that as I have to have it just because I am doing a photoshoot.

I was leaning towards waiting for a D850 (need to save up the capital) and hopefully getting a deal like a free grip. From what I read here, seems like that would be a better option. On my next shoot, I will bring the 18-140mm, and that will tell me if a 24mm on a D850 would be wide enough for what I want to shoot (18 x 1.5 = 27mm).
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    You can always rent a higher mp camera for specific events until you can afford the d850.
    @sport I have thought about doing that, but I just see it as throwing money away when I could put that towards buying it. But with that, I could rent the 14-24 and the D850 as a test as well. Hmm...that is the possibility.
  • SportsSports Posts: 365Member
    If you get the Tamron 15-30, you'll be able to afford a D850 a lot sooner!
    D300, J1
    Sigma 70-200/2.8, 105/2.8
    Nikon 50/1.4G, 18-200, 80-400G
    1 10-30, 30-110
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Your problem is you are using a 24mm on a DX. Would you not be better with a 16-XX or 18-XX ? Clearly your client is not interested in top quality or you would not be using 20MP Camera .

How DID we ever survive with 12mp for all those years LOL!

16 mp did perfectly sharp 16" X 24" prints for me OK.
    Always learning.
    I didn't. I shot film until the D800 came out.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Isn't film around 12 mp? Sure, its different with it's irregular grain structure, but I don't think you will get 20+ mp out of it. At least, I didn't.
    Well the magazine I write for which is one of the largest 4x4 mags in the world is hungry for MP and I just get away with 36 MP as they crop and insert for the print.
    Perhaps not, but my experience with high end audio me me a snob about analog formats.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I believe pistnbroke is right, if its work, you need to discuss what the clients wants and their intended use. Resolution and detail comes from high megapixels cameras with top end lenses.I use a 100mp camera and Schneider lenses. The rate I charge for using this equipment is different to using 35mm and this is explained to the client.
    I have a large capital outlay so if you want or need that type of quality the client as to pay for it.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    I believe pistnbroke is right,
    :) :) o:) love paulr :) :) o:)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2018

How DID we ever survive with 12mp for all those years LOL!

16 mp did perfectly sharp 16" X 24" prints for me OK.
    Somehow we, and our clients survived. :lol: High pixel counts are nice, for cropping, so I can see the appeal for magazines. Of course printed magazines are a dieing bread (hundreds shutting down every year) so I wouldn’t worry about building a gear set around their needs unless you work for one now. Since most people are shooting for online services, more than 24MP is typically not required. I still like and see the need for high resolution cameras, but unless you have those specific needs, or just want it, 20-24MP is enough. That’s especially true if you are a skilled shooter and don’t crop a lot.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited May 2018
    I agree with @PB_PM. High MP has a very specific use case when it is required or you just want it. For my work, there is not an absolute need for the higher MP. I have no doubt I can get away with the D500 for what I do but those MP and FX sensor are so tempting. B)
    Post edited by webmastadj on
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have a D500 and D7200, sort of high MPG and speed for DX world. Does what I need. Still dream of D850 and D5 (ouch says my wallet) in the FX world. My current lens kit would be OK with that.