What is your workflow and does it work for you?

scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
edited February 2013 in General Discussions
Well I have a system that doesn't work so figure I would ask people what works for them. I know there might be 400 answers that are correct because it does work for them but the more ideas the better.

I would like a system where I could use either LR or Capture NX2 to edit a picture, so importing directly into one program probably won't work. Not sure if I could use Nikon View to create the "folders" but I like options to edit. So far my options seem to be making my own folders and edit from there. If that is my best option I don't have a problem with it but prefer to have a program import them into a folder for me so long as I can label the folder so I can find and use it with the other program later.

Post edited by scoobysmak on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't know about capture, by with LR you choose the source to import from so if you either let capture import into a place it chooses or choose a file structure you like and set capture to that and then had LR look there by default when you press the import button, you have what you need. Am I missing something because this seems too easy? I know LR but not Capture as I said so if you explain Capture, we can go from there Scooby.
    Always learning.
  • scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    Currently I am trying to look at the adobe self help video on adobe tv web site but due to my slow internet connection in a forgein country it has taken rougly about 1 and a half hours to get 30% of the file. Before I really never paid attention to it I just searched for a file and imported it. I am now extremely limited in resoruces, I am using a tablet PC and have about 9 GB of space left on the main hard drive. I purchased a 1 TB external drive and loaded LR and Capture on it so I don't use too much of the limited hard drive I have left on the tablet. I did my normal routine and I thought I saved my edits but now LR can not find the file I edited. Before I used two NAS devices with over 4 TB of free space each, I didn't worry about it and could find most anything I modified. I figure now that somewhere on my home PC that I have a bunch of modified files on my main drive, I just didn't fill it up fast enough to notice.

Before I was lazy I guess and because I had so much space I didn't really specify where it went. Over time I would have ran into this same problem with huge file sizes that can be created with a D800. I have not tired Capture yet but almost plan on running into the same problem. I just need to start a system that works all the time and be more effective with what I got.
  • blandbland Posts: 812Member
    I use ViewNX2 to import and for the first basic edit. Then I use LR4 for final/detail edit as a jpeg.

To me ViewNX2 is the best for sorting the raw shots for edit and it creates the folder automatically.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I used LR4 for everything
    the only other program I use is CS5, which can be accessed directly from LR
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    I use Aperture to import, sort and edit my pictures. I use Silver Efex Pro 2, DxO Film Pack and Photoshop CS6 as external editors from within Aperture.

The only thing I don't really like (but I think LR is similar here) is, that external editors like Silver Efex etc. require to transform the Raw file into a Tiff. That means to leave the non-destructive editing process.
    edited February 2013
    Ibut I think LR is similar here

when you go from LR to CS5 you have several save and edit options but work in CS5 is by it's nature "destructive "

if you want to have a "play" you can get a free trail copy of LR and CS6

lots of good on line vidios by Matt at Kelby Training

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    I have always imported all of my images straight into LR and edit from there - even if I have to send the file out to CS5 for additional work and bring it back into LR. Lately I've been interested in using Adobe Bridge as the first destination of the images and from there bring them into LR. The benefit would be being able to open LR and import photos from Bridge...OR...open CS5 and import images directly into CS5 from Bridge either as a simple file or as a layer. The question, scoobysmak, would be whether Capture NX2 would allow you to upload from Bridge which I don't see why not. Then, from either program you could edit and save the completed file as JPG to your final destination folder or leave in LR in a designated folder.

I haven't used this workflow yet but it's one that I'll look into pretty soon. Perhaps Mike Gunter could chime in on the usage of Adobe Bridge if he views this thread.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited February 2013
    In the past at least Bridge gets bogged down when you have a ton of files. Many people substitute Photo Mechanic instead, in conjunction with the other programs mentioned (CS5/6, LR, NX, etc.)

Chase Jarvis has a couple videos on workflow at his blog which I highly recommend watching.

My own workflow is similar to Chase's, heavy on organization and backup, backup, backup.

What I do:

(note I'm a Mac + Aperture user but the same concepts can be adapted to any system)

1. I have a highly organized folder structure with very specific file naming conventions, which allows me to quickly locate any picture. Since I mainly do travel photography I tend to organize my folder structure along geographic boundaries (e.g., Country > Province > Location) but other photographers I know create them based on clients, projects, events, etc.

For me this folder structure is the key to all of my workflow. I consulted a lot of people before deciding on a folder structure / naming convention that I felt would work for me.

2. The first thing I do after every session is to copy + rename the files into this this folder structure. The files within the folders are renamed according to the convention I use (e.g., If I were shooting in Austin, TX a file might be renamed to ade_texas_austin_dsc8231.nef). I use a utility on the Mac to batch rename the files.

3. The second thing I do is to backup this folder structure (and the new files) to a second location (external drive). I use another utility for the Mac called ChronoSync to do this. Basically ChronoSync makes sure the folder structure on the 2nd drive is identical to the primary location.

4. Only after the backup has been completed will I open Aperture for editing. I do not import the pictures into Aperture but simply reference the images to where they are located on disk.

5. After my edits I backup the Aperture vault into the second location (via Aperture's built-in vault facility). This step doesn't backup the images (that was already done in Step 1) but is required to backup the Aperture edits & any additional metadata generated in Aperture (EXIF tags, ratings, etc.)

6. From time to time I will swap my 2nd drive with another one kept at an external location. That way I'll always have a somewhat recent external backup.

(Within Aperture I actually use different "Libraries" for personal work vs. travel photography vs. other work but all of the images are still within one folder structure).

Edit: fixed link to Chase Jarvis's blog.
    Post edited by Ade on
    If I understand you right scooby, you have LR on an external drive? That is as wrong as wrong gets if you want it to work quickly. I strongly suggest you buy at least a 64Gb SSD and put windows and LR on that. You will then need at least 4Gb of RAM then you would be good to go (assuming your PC isn't too old).

Do you get many crashes with it on your external drive?
    Always learning.
  • Swame_spSwame_sp Posts: 58Member
    edited February 2013
    Recently switched from aperture 3 to LR 4.3, I'm just glad that I made the switch.
    LR is definitely better in the following sections:
    - more edit options.
    - less RAM hog (apertures sucks it fully)
    - more tutorials online to learn quickly

Coming to my workflow:
    - Import to LR, flag and remove unwanted images, add keywords, edit them and upload to web appropriately.
    - For now all the files in local HDD.

I'm in the process of adding a 1TB hdd in place of optibay and all image files will be moved there. There will be an external hdd which will back up all the data.

I'm not big fan of having multiple backups with RAID and stuff... so keeping it simple.

I hope my answer helps.

NOTE: 13" 2.4Ghz C2D, mbp with 8GB ram suffered like hell with aperture. With LR it's been better but cannot give full marks to it. Need some more time to load up LR catalog and see the performance.
    Post edited by Swame_sp on
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I shoot in RAW + JPEG, and if I can use the JPEG for my final product, I will. If not, I use LR4 for cropping and other adjustments as well as conversion to monochrome. For marketing and recreational photos I use CS6 and try to be creative.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited February 2013
    Question for those of you who edit RAW files in LR... whether you do all editing in LR or send it out to a plug-in program and bring it back into LR: What do you do with that file after you're finished editing? Do you consistently export them out as JPG to a totally different folder or do you send it to the same folder where the initial .NEF file was imported to, or do you let it stay right there and just backup your catalogue? This is the part of my workflow which I haven't been consistent with and I know it'll bite me in the rear at some point. Thanks.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I shoot almost always in RAW 14-bit lossless compressed. Import to an external hard drive the RAW files. Import to LR 4.3, then edit like crazy, deleting the original RAW files on those which I do not fully process.

Once I process a file, I usually export a 3000 x 3000 pixel size JPEG to another external folder. From there, upload almost everything to Flickr.
    Msmoto, mod
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    I have both Capture NX2 and LR4 plus CS6. I shoot in both RAW and JPEG, uncompressed. This is my own opinion but I don't find any reason to own NX2 for photographs. Maybe it has advantages for video, and perhaps photographs, but I have yet to discern what they are. I am overly cautious about protecting my files so I import to Lightroom and save both the RAW and JPEG files to external hard drives in duplicate. I develop the photographs in Lightroom and ususally only use CS6 if I want to alter the photograph such as moving something or removing something. I export from Lightroom in JPG format into one or more specific files on my computer's internal hard drive. All drives are backed up regularly.

Currently I am exploring potential better data management solutions including multiple drive RAID arrays. My overly cautious approach to preserving the original files results in a lot of storage needs.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
    I import into LR which saves a copy onto an external hard drive. Edit in LR 95% of the time, export to plug-ins PS as necessary, re-import to LR. Only export to Flickr or whatever as a jpeg then delete the jpegs after I've posted. Cloud backup every 30 mins. Only format cards when I put them back into camera.
    Always learning.
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    Question for those of you who edit RAW files in LR... whether you do all editing in LR or send it out to a plug-in program and bring it back into LR: What do you do with that file after you're finished editing? Do you consistently export them out as JPG to a totally different folder or do you send it to the same folder where the initial .NEF file was imported to, or do you let it stay right there and just backup your catalogue? This is the part of my workflow which I haven't been consistent with and I know it'll bite me in the rear at some point. Thanks.
    I use Aperture but the workflow is similar as in LR. I import the raw files, edit them and only export them to JPEG as and if needed. Aperture lets you upload images directly to Flickr, so no need to export them to a separate folder.
    edited February 2013
    Question for those of you who edit RAW files in LR... whether you do all editing in LR or send it out to a plug-in program and bring it back into LR: What do you do with that file after you're finished editing? Do you consistently export them out as JPG to a totally different folder....
    I export them as jpeg to a totally different folder, work stuff gets send to the client, personal stuff is often put on Facebook. jpegs tend to get deleted after about 3 months

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Import files via NikonTransfer (rename there) to an external. If I shoot film I process it by hand and scan it into the computer, then intergrate it into the same folder as the digital files from the shoot. When I care about the pictures I view in Bridge and star the ones I like then take them into photoshop and save PSD copies of the edits. If I dont Care.... Lightroom. After editing I duplicate the folder for backing up on another hard drive and a low rez backup for my portfolio...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    I'm fairly ignorant of the best way to process in LR, so I'm just making it up as I go along. For the pics I choose to edit, I make a virtual copy and apply edits to that, crop etc. then export to jpg. For the time being, I'm just keeping the jpg's in a separate folder. Backup image files and catalog to alternate drives on a regular basis, via Synctoy.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I believe in Lightroom, the actual image is never changed. LR keeps a long list of the changes applied and when one views in LR we see all this applied. The actual RAW image is not altered and can be seen in the left hand partition, if one simply clicks on the original.

When exported as JPEG, of course, the JPEG is a result of all the changes applied and the original cannot be recovered from the JPEG.

And in export I label my images so as to know what they are exactly.
    Msmoto, mod
    OK, the lightbulb over my head has been getting brighter and brighter over the last 24 hours. I think what I've been wanting yet lacking is a method to save the large high resolution edited files somewhere and at the same time save a lower resolution file on my main drive for occasional showing and viewing thus conserving space on the main drive.

Another option, since I only have a desktop computer with one external drive and an iPad, is to routinely save a high rez JPG image on the external drive and always export a lower rez image into the iPad. I'll develop and use the same folder designations for their destinations on both devices. The drive with the high rez images will have to be backed up to another drive for safety. I think this will keep the main computer drive from filling up with duplicate files and eventually running out of space.

• scoobysmakscoobysmak Posts: 215Member
    If I understand you right scooby, you have LR on an external drive? That is as wrong as wrong gets if you want it to work quickly. I strongly suggest you buy at least a 64Gb SSD and put windows and LR on that. You will then need at least 4Gb of RAM then you would be good to go (assuming your PC isn't too old).

Do you get many crashes with it on your external drive?
    So far I have not, but its only loaded within the past 3 weeks. My Hard drive on my tablet is 64 GB but after the difference between 1024 bytes and a 1000 bytes, it turns instantly into 59 GB of storage. Windows 7 then takes up 22 GB and I have about 25 GB of valuable information and programs that I can not move or run externally. I totally understand this is not a great way to do it but so far its worked. I doubt I have done more than 4 hours in LR total. I only opened up Capture NX2 to see if it would run.

I just know I need a better system, it probably will take me a while to figure what will work best for me but getting input of works and what doesn't really helps cut down on time wasted.

edited February 2013
    I believe in Lightroom, the actual image is never changed. LR keeps a long list of the changes applied and when one views in LR we see all this applied. The actual RAW image is not altered and can be seen in the left hand partition, if one simply clicks on the original.

When exported as JPEG, of course, the JPEG is a result of all the changes applied and the original cannot be recovered from the JPEG.

Correct
    There is no need to keep jpegs of everything, as they can be recreated, on demand, in LR
    If you want to archive you best results, for future generations
    You might consider making prints. Your descendants will then be able to look at your work, as you intended it to be
    with out them having to find an ancient computer that will read you data
    and with out any risk of data corruption
    Which is why I said that I delete all the jpegs I create. It doesn't cost to make 'em, so why keep 'em?
    Always learning.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    Which is why I said that I delete all the jpegs I create. It doesn't cost to make 'em, so why keep 'em?
    I wish I had your discipline. My jpegs are usually made and copied to a subdirectory for later insertion into a Word or Powerpoint document or copy to a USB drive, which are the three ways I deliver my product. I should delete them when I am done with the project, but by that time I have moved on, so they clutter up my hard drive for months. Since sometimes I can deliver the jpeg from the camera without any LR adjustments, all the jpegs sit there eating up gigabytes.

I think it's time I reconsidered my file storage. Still, its better than putting all the kodachromes into those plastic binder pages.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy