New Toys !!

2»

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Yeahhh ..... Pistnbroke.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    The Nikon 24mm to 70mm F/2.8 is a monster lens. I have a pair of them.

Denver Shooter
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member

The Nikon 24mm to 70mm F/2.8 is a monster lens. I have a pair of them.

Denver Shooter

I have a 24-70 G use it as a long normal lens on a D7200 a lot. I would like to try the E version but not in the mood to upgrade soon. The Sigma 120-300 is the monster in my bag.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited July 2018

Rx4Photo said:

Now I need new tires on the car, so there goes THAT money : (

I run Michelin summer tires and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 snow tires on my daily drivers. And Michelin M/S LT tires on my Ford Excursion and Michelin Pilot A/S3 on my '89 Porsche 951.

I get exceptional tread life out of the Michelin's (including the relatively soft Pilot's) but I am OCD with maintaining proper tire pressure, suspension alignment and balancing.

Your life depends on your tires. Don't cheap out.

Denver Shooter
    Had to comment on this.... the primary reason for good tires, to make certain no tire issues arise when one is carrying things like an 800/5.6, 600/5.6, 400/2.8, 300/2.8.... oh yes, and a 200-400/4.

Yup, need to make certain no breaks downs.... B) B) B)
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    LOL! Yeah, forget the wife and kids, just worry about your Nikon gear. I like it Tommy! :D
    Always learning.
    Well, after all, this is a camera forum.... LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    I bought retreads for my Mustang so I can afford that new mirrorless B)

LOL! Yeah, forget the wife and kids, just worry about your Nikon gear. I like it Tommy! :D

LOLROF.

Denver Shooter
    And you don't want to be sitting by the side of the road in the Badlands of South Dakota in 100 degree temps waiting for AAA to show up with a tow truck dispatched out of Rapid City 75 miles away due to a blown tire that you can't get the lug nuts off from.

That will certainly cast a pall over your photo safari.

Denver Shooter
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member

Denver Shooter

I have a 24-70 G use it as a long normal lens on a D7200 a lot. I would like to try the E version but not in the mood to upgrade soon. The Sigma 120-300 is the monster in my bag.

Why not look into the 16-80 f/2.8-4E if you don't need the extra tonnage of an FX lens? It is half the weight of a 24-70; it is an "E" lens; and it gives you the same wide angle as the 24-70 when used in its intended FX application.
    HankB said:

Denver Shooter

Why not look into the 16-80 f/2.8-4E if you don't need the extra tonnage of an FX lens? It is half the weight of a 24-70; it is an "E" lens; and it gives you the same wide angle as the 24-70 when used in its intended FX application.
    It works great for indoor sports where I need the constant 2.8 and I plan to move to FX in the future. I have two DX lenses to cover the wide end. Both are constant 2.8.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I just picked up a 19" LED ringlight from Adorama via eBay (couldn’t resist the $25 off coupon plus I had eBay bucks to use). Seems pretty cool, but I am not sure what to use for a stand. I was planning to use one of my extra tripods, but it doesn't have any kind of tripod adapter - just a hole about 5/8” around.

It’s so big I’m kind of thinking a 1/4” tripod thread isn’t the best idea anyway. What do you folks use? Should I get a dedicated light stand?
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    My camera gear is serving me well. My latest toys are guitars with fewer frets (12) and a wonderful Taylor GS Mini Bass. The big advantage is less strain on arthritic joints and I can play them much longer! Whoopee. Now for that light weight 500/5.6...
    pictureted at flickr
  • sportsport Posts: 120Member
    I jumped into the action camera arena by getting a GoPro Hero 6. At a recent family reunion a distant cousin really challenged my thinking about technology. At 72 he is teaching other members of his retirement community how to take videos with drones. Pushing himself to learn new things was refreshing.

So, I am now a beginner again in a whole new world.
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    8-15 mm Nikkor zoom fisheye. Amazing!
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    edited August 2018
    This thread said something abut new purchases......

How about mine from Melville?

Replace mount on D4 and TC-20EIII......about $1,000 USD (TC would not come off the D4 body)

Replace mount on 70-200/2.8, both ends of the TC-14EII, and the entire front of the D500..... about $1,400 USD (Dropped the body with lens, TC, attached.)

Oh well....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    This is why I have my gear on my homeowners insurance policy. It covers me dropping expensive things... Cost is 1% of what I paid for it.

Sorry for your "loss".

Denver Shooter
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Msmoto said:

Replace mount on D4 and TC-20EIII......about $1,000 USD (TC would not come off the D4 body)

Replace mount on 70-200/2.8, both ends of the TC-14EII, and the entire front of the D500..... about $1,400 USD (Dropped the body with lens, TC, attached.)

Oh well....

Msmoto - never heard of a converter sticking/locking onto a lens mount. Wow, that was expensive. And then the D500 repair....that should slow you down on buying new gear for a while.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Msmoto said:

Oh well....

My D500 fell off a shelf in a holster with a 70-200 2.8 VRII and a 20EIII converter attached. pulled the mount off the D500. If I remember correctly it cost my insurance company $160 to replace the front of the camera.

No damage to the lens or converter.
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    edited September 2018
    Ouch! Hurt me even thinking about that.

framer
    Post edited by framer on