Nikon 500 f/5.6 PF ED VR

13»

Comments

• bluzstar7bluzstar7 Posts: 5Member
    Ordered this lens in Sept. from B&H and it is still out of stock. I have called multiple regional dealers and Nikon and there is no explanation for why they are not nor when they might be available. Have even looked on eBay: nada.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Super telephoto lenses tend to have small production runs, so availablity is low compared to demand, no surprise there. I’ve read reports that demand has tied up availability well into 2019, so it’s just a matter of waiting.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    At this price you don't want to order through multiple dealers.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Thank you for your input on my supply problem query. If I may ask, from what source did you read about the len's demand/potential availability?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Thom Hogan noted that his sources at Nikon had mentioned the shortage shortly after the lens started shipping.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • JetrangerJetranger Posts: 7Member
    There is a 600mm PF coming so I am waiting for that one.

I can use the 300/2.8 or 300 PF + TC1.7 to get 510mm now.
    D810, D300, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8VR, 300/2.8VR, 105VR Micro, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 28-300VR, TC-14II, TC-17II, TC-20III
    http://Mundy.ca

I ordered this lens from B&H mid September of last year (2018) and as of today (6/26/19) I have not received it. I have called Nikon US 4 times to inquire and been given only dismissive answers such as "you'll receive it soon", or "they're working on it". I don't understand why they would introduce a new 600mm w/ fresnel lens elements if they can't begin to meet production demand for the 500mm.
    bluzstar7 said:

I ordered this lens from B&H mid September of last year (2018) and as of today (6/26/19) I have not received it. I have called Nikon US 4 times to inquire and been given only dismissive answers such as "you'll receive it soon", or "they're working on it". I don't understand why they would introduce a new 600mm w/ fresnel lens elements if they can't begin to meet production demand for the 500mm.

The demand far exceeded the marketing forecast...got that from a regional Nikon representative. He also told me to try calling small dealers and get on their list, they will get the lens before the big NYC stores and you may even find one in stock at a Roberts etc.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    Hmmm, I am new to Nikon (just got D850 two days ago and have not even used it). I ordered the 500PF from Adorama this morning, but this advice about smaller dealers is worth considering. There is one Nikon dealer in my city so maybe I will get on their list as well.
  • Dyna10Dyna10 Posts: 2Member
    I ordered the lens from B&H in August. After waiting for 2 months and reading several comments I decided to also place an order with Competitive Camera in Dallas (my hometown). Unlike B&H, I was told where I was on the list and when I could expect it which was 3 months. I kept both orders open to see which would arrive first. Competitive Camera came in 1 week short of 3 months. I strongly recommend going with smaller stores. Nikon has to provide equipment to all dealers. Since you have no idea where you stand with the larger stores it makes sense to do an additional order so long as you don't have to prepay. Hope this helps.
    Dyna10 said:

I ordered the lens from B&H in August. After waiting for 2 months and reading several comments I decided to also place an order with Competitive Camera in Dallas (my hometown). Unlike B&H, I was told where I was on the list and when I could expect it which was 3 months. I kept both orders open to see which would arrive first. Competitive Camera came in 1 week short of 3 months. I strongly recommend going with smaller stores. Nikon has to provide equipment to all dealers. Since you have no idea where you stand with the larger stores it makes sense to do an additional order so long as you don't have to prepay. Hope this helps.

Totally agree with you. Something happened 4 years ago that changed how they ship to brick and mortar stores. I have several friends who did the same thing and it worked out fine. in both cases, the local dealer went to the next person on the list for the body or lens. So they did not get stuck with excess stock.

Hmmm, I am new to Nikon (just got D850 two days ago and have not even used it). I ordered the 500PF from Adorama this morning, but this advice about smaller dealers is worth considering. There is one Nikon dealer in my city so maybe I will get on their list as well.

It's a good suggestion to order both ways, Dyna10 spelled it out nicely.
    Stopped by my local dealer today; I am number four on his list. But he warned me it will still be months.
    As for why it takes so long, my dealer told me they somehow grow crystals in a lab to use for some of the lens elements (or was it the nano coating?). Anyway it takes eight months to grow the crystals.
  • Dyna10Dyna10 Posts: 2Member
    When I got on the list I was number 5 and they were getting in 1 a month. Like I said it was 3 month wait for me. Some people ahead of you can drop and like Photobug said they will just move you up. I think you made the right move - you can't lose this way. Just make sure to cancel any open orders when it comes in.
    It worked - I am getting the lens by the end of the week from Tucson Camera Repair! The owner was shocked at how fast they came. He told me it would take months and I got mine in about three weeks! Two came already for the first two guys on the list and the remaining guy in front of me had ordered two, both arriving end of this week. But now he decides he only needs one so I will get the other one. Woo hoo!

It worked - I am getting the lens by the end of the week from Tucson Camera Repair! The owner was shocked at how fast they came. He told me it would take months and I got mine in about three weeks! Two came already for the first two guys on the list and the remaining guy in front of me had ordered two, both arriving end of this week. But now he decides he only needs one so I will get the other one. Woo hoo!

Congrats, let us know what you think of the lens and post some photos on PAD.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sounds like a bad case of GAS to me :D

Welcome to the addiction @MrFotoFool !
    Always learning.
    I picked it up this morning before work and hope to try it out on my upcoming days off. Unfortunately I cannot post on PAD because apparently I have to have a Flickr account (which I do not and will not) and cannot upload photos directly from my computer. (Coming from Canon Rumors with their multiple photo galleries this seems ridiculous).
  • BruteBrute Posts: 1Member

I picked it up this morning before work and hope to try it out on my upcoming days off. Unfortunately I cannot post on PAD because apparently I have to have a Flickr account (which I do not and will not) and cannot upload photos directly from my computer. (Coming from Canon Rumors with their multiple photo galleries this seems ridiculous).

Congratulations on finally getting the lens.
    Been waiting myself.
    I agree with you on the flicker account.
    Just went to Nikon Gear and started posting photos their straight off of my computer.
    Registered on here a couple years ago but just read post that interest me like this one.
    The size, the fast response, the sharpness - this lens is amazing!
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I tried one out at the weekend, along with a 600mmf4. I tried them on my D850 and also on a Z6.
    I found that despite what I thought, I don't need a 600f4 - my technique's too bad and it's really unwieldy. But the 500mmf5.6pf was beautiful - so easy to handle. And did what I would need - although the birdies weren't being too obliging. Mind you, a 600mm f5.6pf would be really nice :)
    Two days ago I did a quick test of the lens with the 1.4iii teleconverter (a burrowing owl in an aviary). Happy to report it works and still very sharp. This was in sun of course and would not be a good combo for low light I imagine (max aperture f8). However when you need the reach and light is good it is certainly a viable option.