Nikkor Wide Angle Lens Refreshes

kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,271Member
I wonder if Nikon has any plans to refresh the 2007 14-24mm and 2009 16-35mm wide angle lenses any time in the near future? Or are the spending all their R&D on the 14-30mm Z mount and other Z lineup lenses now? It would be great to have a brand new wide angle F mount to keep up with the resolution that the recent Nikon bodies produce in the last 3 years. I know it is getting dated a bit now, but has anybody been shooting the 16-35mm F4 on a D810 or D850?

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 561Member
    I bet all future wide angles will be Z mount. It gives advantages due to short flange and wide throat.

I’m not usually one to recommend 3p lenses, but the Sigma ART 14-24 is supposed to be very good. I got one cheap when B&H had a one day sale last week. Haven’t used it yet.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 5,872Moderator
    Nah mate, it is rubbish. Send it over here.... :D
    Always learning.
    edited November 4

Which one? :)
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,271Member
    mhedges you are probably right the next wide will likely be the highly anticipated 14-30 Z and a lot of secret R&D sauce will go into it. Their dslr market isn’t dead yet so fingers crossed for something there as well hopefully. The Sigma doesn't take filters easily like the Nikon 14-24 right? I have grown tired using the Lee SW-150 system on it. I really wish you could use filters easier on 14mm lenses...
    No it doesn't take filters.

Just curious - what filters do you typically use on an ultrawide?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 2,723Member
    mhedges said:

ND Filters.

mhedges said:

ND Filters.
    Absolutely! Graduated, reverse and big stoppers like 90% of the time I use the lens. Basically anytime the 14-24 is used outside. I find the SW-150 cumbersome and clumsy to use and its been at least 8 years as part of my kit now. I have even used a 150x150 polarizer on the 14-24, but quickly sold it because the colors and banding were unacceptable for obvious wide angle reasons. I could live with a 14mm not taking filters if we could simply hand hold a filter in front of the element that would be great, but alas the gigantic bulb prevents this from ever happening I would think. I hope design innovations abound with the Z 14-30mm lens. One can always dream!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 5,872Moderator
    mhedges said:

The 14-24 please...
    Always learning.

mhedges said:

The 14-24 please...
    2020 the 2.8 14-24 is on the way. Emphasis on the F4 glass for the Z system seems to be the priority right now through 2019. No problem the adaptor works well apparently:)