Other Mirrorless Cameras

2»

Comments

• FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 907Member

I downloaded a sample test file for the FUJIFILM GFX 100 today and ran a raw file through ACR and then scaled it up to a size that would gallery wrap at 144x54 and it looked good on the screen. Now I am going to print out a segment that is about 24x36 from that image to pixel peep on photo paper. My bank account is getting nervous. I know there are things it will not do but for what I want it to do it is looking good.

I would wait until Nikon launches a higher resolution Z camera and their 1.2 primes. You might find that the Z system with the new lenses might achieve close to the resolution that you are looking for.

What do you currently shoot FreezeAction - bodies and lenses?
    After passing down my D810 to a son I've been left with a D7200, D500, and D5300. Recently rented a D850 that I pushed to the limits and loved it. I've been contemplating the Z7 but holding out for a Z8 for the sake of maybe it makes the difference in a single shot VS stitching. Right now my common sense (which might be fading) tells me to be patient and keep renting either a Z7 or D850 and use existing lenses for specific adventures and see what 2020 brings. I have two shoots planned where a 4/3 sensor with 102MP would be nice coming after the first of the year and I wouldn't spend 10k just for those two. With a Z7-Z8 and an occasional rental of the Fuji GFX I could be content. As far as the f1.2 primes they are on my shopping list. The f.95 can also be rented for one special project. I expect to hand down the D7200 soon to enjoy what the new generation does with it.

My go to lens whether stitching or single frames is the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art. For Macro the 105 2.8G, and for short tele a 70-200 f4 G. For my birding on the D500 a 200-500. My wife carries the D5300 on trails with an 18-140 on it. On occasions I'll stitch something with a 50mm 1.8G. At the moment I have a Z7 with a 14-30mm in a saved shopping cart for 10 days in July to test. Recently the Sigma 20mm and 28mm Art lenses were tested on a D850 and they didn't disappoint. I can't wait forever to make a move but I hate to get in the water and after I'm wet Nikon releases what I really wanted. I have a local business where I can hang large panoramic murals and I want to take full advantage of the offer.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    For very high res images I think the Panasonic S1R is also interesting. It can capture 187 mp images by moving the sensor and combining 8 exposures.
    snakebunk said:

For very high res images I think the Panasonic S1R is also interesting. It can capture 187 mp images by moving the sensor and combining 8 exposures.

That sounds like a camera to use during Dog Days of August when the wind is dead and the subject is solid rock and trees. The pixel count is 16736 x 11168 which with yield a 58"x144" gallery wrap mural using and interpolation of 275%.
    I think the Panasonic S1R with a Panasonic 50mm f1.4 has a good chance of becoming a really good art copy combo in my stable replacing the D810. 187MP beats 60MP no matter what Nikon comes up with for that job unless it has the same shift for a possible 200MP plus image. That would be nice to contemplate. With the L alliance producing high quality glass then the S1R may also become a go to body for landscapes too. I have a few places in mind that wind is not an issue I'd like to see what it can do with the new Art 14mm and 20mm on it. Regardless of brand the reviews I read mean little when they are written like a camera has to be a one size fits all for every venue. None do. One camera shooters do have to consider features that suit most of all the type of images they want to capture but I am not a one camera shooter and hope to never be one again.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    edited June 2019

I think the Panasonic S1R with a Panasonic 50mm f1.4 has a good chance of becoming a really good art copy combo in my stable replacing the D810. 187MP beats 60MP no matter what Nikon comes up with for that job unless it has the same shift for a possible 200MP plus image. That would be nice to contemplate. With the L alliance producing high quality glass then the S1R may also become a go to body for landscapes too. I have a few places in mind that wind is not an issue I'd like to see what it can do with the new Art 14mm and 20mm on it. Regardless of brand the reviews I read mean little when they are written like a camera has to be a one size fits all for every venue. None do. One camera shooters do have to consider features that suit most of all the type of images they want to capture but I am not a one camera shooter and hope to never be one again.

I think that you should pause to consider the lens. A camera and lens are two elements in a system and the weakest element will determine the resolution. I think that this 50mm 1.4 that you are referring to will have to be some lens to get 60mp of resolution let alone 187mp. Suffice to say, I am extremely skeptical.

I like to remind people that the most important elements in photographic systems are the lenses and the cameras are merely "photon detectors". While I am short selling cameras for sure, I defend the characterization for the point that I am making, which is:

The decision to buy any photographic system should be almost solely determined by the lenses. The lenses will be the ultimate arbiters of ultimate IQ and if you are shooting anything outside of the mainstream (macro, tilt-shift, super-telephoto) the decision is even more relevant. If you are buying good lenses, then you will have them for a long time. I fully expect to be using my 400 2.8E in 10 years and probably 20 years on an Z camera with an FTZ. However, I am sure that in four years, my D850 will be retired just like my D800 is now, except as an emergency backup.

Any issue that you have with your glass will be an issue for a very long time. Any issue that you will have with your photon detector will likely be an non-issue in a generation and almost certainly in two generations.

Now if you are buying a camera and lens and then you are done, maybe the calculus is different. But then you are not really buying an ILC, are you?
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on

I think that you should pause to consider the lens. A camera and lens are two elements in a system and the weakest element will determine the resolution. I think that this 50mm 1.4 that you are referring to will have to be some lens to get 60mp of resolution let alone 187mp. Suffice to say, I am extremely skeptical.

I like to remind people that the most important elements in photographic systems are the lenses and the cameras are merely "photon detectors". While I am short selling cameras for sure, I defend the characterization for the point that I am making, which is:

The decision to buy any photographic system should be almost solely determined by the lenses. The lenses will be the ultimate arbiters of ultimate IQ and if you are shooting anything outside of the mainstream (macro, tilt-shift, super-telephoto) the decision is even more relevant. If you are buying good lenses, then you will have them for a long time. I fully expect to be using my 400 2.8E in 10 years and probably 20 years on an Z camera with an FTZ. However, I am sure that in four years, my D850 will be retired just like my D800 is now, except as an emergency backup.

Any issue that you have with your glass will be an issue for a very long time. Any issue that you will have with your photon detector will likely be an non-issue in a generation and almost certainly in two generations.

Now if you are buying a camera and lens and then you are done, maybe the calculus is different. But then you are not really buying an ILC, are you?
    The reviews I've seen so far are good on the Panasonic 50mm f1.4. I would not plan on lenses wider than 85mm for such a body for my use. The 50mm is for studio art copy only. Other's would be wider. One thing I do like is Sigma's commitment to make Art series lenses along with Lecia. The L lens alliance is not a shabby one from my point of view. I only need the resolution for two jobs, landscape and art reproduction. No intentions of parting with my current lenses or bodies that will pass on to someone else at my passing. I don't expect any new body to do BIF as I have a D500 and 200-500mm for that. My D500 is not made to do landscapes like I print unless I stitch and I want to get away from that if I can. As far as the lens resolving the 187mp it only resolves one 47mp frame at a time. The 187MP is from stacking them together as the Multi shot Hassies do to turn 50mp into 200MP. That only works for still objects but the same can be said for stitching panoramas. Stitching distorts the image if you cannot get far enough away from it. I'm after a 40' wall from a distance of 30' and it can most likely have to use a 14mm lens an no one makes a really good high resolving lens that wide that I've seen. I've spent countless hours pouring over Nikon, Sigma, Zeiss, and Tamron lenses for the lowest CA and highest sharpness and it's not an easy decision. Price doesn't always get you the best IQ but rather a name on the barrel.

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @FreezeAction: Please let us know what you think if you choose to buy a Panasonic. If you don't need the best AF and don't mind large cameras I think they are very good. Very nice lineup of lenses when you look at all that will be available.
    snakebunk said:

@FreezeAction: Please let us know what you think if you choose to buy a Panasonic. If you don't need the best AF and don't mind large cameras I think they are very good. Very nice lineup of lenses when you look at all that will be available.

I will be renting one soon for IQ testing. Fast focus is not an issue. That’s delegated to the D500. The idea of using the sweet spot of a 50mm lens that is tack sharp and have enough pixels in that area for critical accuracy is most appealing for art copy. Compared to a Cruse Scanner it’s a bargain and portable for other jobs too. Just as soon as the Sigma 14mm and 20mm are available with the L mount I will put one through the wringer.
    Murphy's law really comes in to bite me sometimes. I wanted to take advantage of a really special deal on renting the Panasonic S1R this coming week and of course the weather is for overcast and thunderstorms and that is not what I want to test on. A great rent for 4 and get 3 more free with only 2of 7 showing signs of usability. Any way this gives me home to actually get to shoot 187mp landscapes before they create me.

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/l-mount-alliance
    edited July 2019
    I can only hope that Nikon's marketing division and development division put their heads together and come up with a plan to deliver similar to what the SIR has to offer. I see no shortage of glass for the S1R at this point for anything I need.

https://photorumors.com/2019/04/03/sigma-l-mount-lenses-pricing-announced/
    Post edited by spraynpray on
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Sony just cut price for a7r3 to less than $2.5k and is rumored to release some newer cameras soon. With Sony also being the only viable sensor supplier for Nikon, I think the writing is on the wall that Nikon will become the #3 player in the ILC domain in the not distant future.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    According to figures that came out last week, Nikon already is third in ILC sales.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.