Z7-Z6 Internal processing

rmprmp Posts: 586Member
Hi, I am playing with the "Picture Controls" and post-proessing that goes on inside the Z7. And, of course, I noticed that the camera performs in-camera-HDR-merges for jpg files when the camera is shooting jpgs-ONLY. Try to shoot raw+jpgs and the HDR capablity is turned off. Why?

Why can't the camera shoot raw+jpg and perform HDR merges on both? Is there a technical reason? Is it just processing time or buffer size?
Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
Tagged:

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    rmp said:

Hi, I am playing with the "Picture Controls" and post-proessing that goes on inside the Z7. And, of course, I noticed that the camera performs in-camera-HDR-merges for jpg files when the camera is shooting jpgs-ONLY. Try to shoot raw+jpgs and the HDR capablity is turned off. Why?

Why can't the camera shoot raw+jpg and perform HDR merges on both? Is there a technical reason? Is it just processing time or buffer size?

Well, the point of Raw and JPEG is that Raw is Raw and leaves the camera unaltered and JPEG is modified. If two Raw images were combined, they would not be Raw anymore. Further, why would resources be wasted to merge Raw files when that is the point of having JPEGs - to perform in camera processing such as HDR.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    rmp said:

I did a couple of HDR with my Z6 when I first got it. Two-image NEF sequence, one under, one over-exposed, and the result of the melding as JPEG. I have both NEFs for later messing-with, and the camera's notion of what it should be as JPEG.

In the User's Manual for Firmware 2.0, on page 211:

• rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thanks ggbutcher.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.