Whats the best way to minimize back ground shadows

2»

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    One cannot learn this stuff by reading any book. It takes shooting hundreds of images, experimenting with different techniques. The simple use of an umbrella, or even a white sheet draped over a pole as a bounce panel, along with another reflector opposite, and one has a lighting setup which can do wonders. Add a few baffles on stands, "windows" for the bounced light to come through, another setup for nice lighting.

Or bounce the light into a sheet slightly to the left of camera and above....a glamor light for just a few bucks.

But, no one that I have ever known has learned how to do this unless they get into the studio and work it out with the equipment. And, I am not kidding when I say hundreds of variations on the lighting. Then look at the different setups in the computer and go from there.

It takes a heck of a lot of work....no short cuts to learning any of this stuff.
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Gitzo. Cool, I know and understand your points there. Perhaps what I should have said was "How much of Syl's book is focused on Canon gear and so difficult to translate to Nikon speak?". I am interested in this book (seeing as Tommie isn't writing one for us) but when I have read books that talk too much about Canon stuff it kills my interest. Dunno why, but it does.
    Always learning.
    edited February 2013
    I thought I just wrote the book on this above....after all it is like the question "How does one get to Carnegie Hall?" The answer is "practice, practice, practice."

Carnegie Hall, for those non USA folks is one of the premier performing arts venues.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    this is the first portrait i have ever taken, just last week at my university. we had one umbrella flash that belonged to the university i think, it looked like it was about 50 years old ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63040056@N03/8512284996/in/photostream

he was sat in a chair, that background is courtesy of my computer
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    Not bad for a start. Try what happens of you move the umbrella closer. Maybe bounce some light into the talent form lower right.
    @ mikep

Good job. For the next one, hang a white cloth, bed sheet, about two feet away on the subject's left.
    Msmoto, mod