Nikon Z50

1234568

Comments

  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 624Member
    edited February 2020
    Z60_7009

    Just a small test. ISO 3200 - 1/20s - f/5.6 - 33mm.
    Nikon Z6 with the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR
    This is the .JPG file, the RAW file is a bit better.

    It's much better then mobile phone photo's of course and to use it with Snapbridge on your phone it is nice small "walk around" combo which you can put in a shoulder bag or so. I will use it till the 40mm FF pancake is out.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    I find my self MOSTLY using the Z50 and the two kit lens. Convenient, fast, lightweight, great images. The 16-50 and 50-250 takes place in terms of BOTH lens at 50MM is plain awesome. NOW if a 250-500 even with higher f stops at the upper end, say f5.6 to 6.5 etc., that's what I'd pre-order!
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,403Member
    Sony a7c, will Nikon respond with a full size sensor in the Z50 body?
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 482Member

    Sony a7c, will Nikon respond with a full size sensor in the Z50 body?

    Wouldn't that just be the Z5?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,639Member
    No, the Z50 body is smaller than a Z5.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,392Member
    It would need IBIS to really be equivalent to A7C so I think that would mean a new body.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 482Member
    mhedges said:

    It would need IBIS to really be equivalent to A7C so I think that would mean a new body.

    From the reviews I have seen, the IBIS on the A7C is a wee bit mince, so not so important a spec to compete on.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,639Member
    A full frame Z50 does not need IBIS. It will be $500 cheaper than the Sony and if the compact primes etc have it, then better to keep the price (and size) down.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,639Member
    And remember that the A7c is targeted towards v-loggers.

    I think that the Z50 should be focussed on photographers.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    Seems the Z50 with two lens kit has increased in price? I was thinking of getting a second set of these. That way I could trust one to more dicey adventures like out on a drift boat fishing for Steelhead Rainbow Trout!
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,639Member
    DaveyJ said:

    Seems the Z50 with two lens kit has increased in price? I was thinking of getting a second set of these. That way I could trust one to more dicey adventures like out on a drift boat fishing for Steelhead Rainbow Trout!

    Where are you fishing for those DaveyJ?
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    Salmon River in Altmar New York this month and that will last as a fishing opportunity thru April. I am after catch and release chrome Steelhead so this month is when I will be there. They can be 20 pounds and often exceed 10 pounds. They are pretty and powerful. Probably Z50 and the two kit lens and the D7200 and the 16-80 lens as my trusty D7500 will NOT go as I use it with my 200-500 which is set up for wildlife shots and video which I use nearly everyday.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,639Member
    DaveyJ said:

    Salmon River in Altmar New York this month and that will last as a fishing opportunity thru April. I am after catch and release chrome Steelhead so this month is when I will be there. They can be 20 pounds and often exceed 10 pounds. They are pretty and powerful. Probably Z50 and the two kit lens and the D7200 and the 16-80 lens as my trusty D7500 will NOT go as I use it with my 200-500 which is set up for wildlife shots and video which I use nearly everyday.

    It would be great to see some pictures. I grew up fly fishing in the interior of British Columbia.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    British Columbia has awesome rivers for Steelhead. I have fished on the Skeena, Cooper, and Babine. I worked on the Clearwater River in Idaho where the Summer Run is legendary. We have had them in our own Sunset Pond where we have had Rainbows up to 16 pounds. I did find Steelhead were extremely migratory and had to put special screens on that pond to prevent losing them all downstream. Despite having a trout pond and lake building website almost all of the ponds I design are now warm water fish. My favorite there are Tiger Muskelunge and Eastern Chain Pickerel. But British Columbia rivers are spectacular! Photos though on Nikon Rumors have been impossible for me to post.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    The river in the entire West Coast for Steelhead that is my single favorite is the Smith River in Oregon. To float down past towering Redwood Trees and catch and release them in such clear water is about as close to Heaven as i will get! Not many people and spectacular scenery. One of the best places in the World for awesome scenery!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,232Member
    I would probably have to wait and see what Nikon decides to do with Z mount DX before springing for one. There aren't enough Z mount DX lenses for me to consider it.

    I'm surprised, this camera came out last year, where are all the video reviews?
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    I have seen several really positive reviews on the Z50 I bought it before I left Florida from B&H. It is a really useful camera. The stills AND the video are really quite good, it is NOT a low light performer! It is really small and awesome. I use it more than my D7200 for a number if reasons. The kit lens are really VERY good. I got the hood and polarizer lens for the 50-250. The 16-50 is an amazing lens. But using an FTZ has ZERO appeal for me!
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    There may be only two lens but for MY use, They sure got the RIGHT lens. I do NOY look at this as a ultra camera, the lack of 1.8 lens is a NON issue!
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,232Member
    edited November 2020
    DaveyJ said:

    I have seen several really positive reviews on the Z50 I bought it before I left Florida from B&H. It is a really useful camera. The stills AND the video are really quite good, it is NOT a low light performer! It is really small and awesome. I use it more than my D7200 for a number if reasons. The kit lens are really VERY good. I got the hood and polarizer lens for the 50-250. The 16-50 is an amazing lens. But using an FTZ has ZERO appeal for me!

    If Nikon doesn't produce any small primes for Z mount DX that is going to be a problem as I highly enjoyed using the 35mm 1.8. I also have no interest in a FTZ adapter so if Nikon is up front and decides not to produce any small primes, I'd get a D7500 and a 70-300 AF-P FX tomorrow.

    Because if I go all in on a Z mount camera, I'd have to use my 105mm macro with a FTZ adapter and I have no doubt that's a lot of lens torquing on that Z mount.

    I'd like to have a better sensor, as any DSLR or mirrorless has to have better performance for me to justify the purchase. Right now with a Pixel 3, night sight is more than good enough for static subjects in very dark situations.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    If Nikon discontinues the D7500 it will be a big mistake. They have NOT sold well! I have two of them and two 16-80s. But the first one is pretty much scrap as a farming accident when I was trying to film work I was doing dragged it over half a mile. I see no camera that is a better deal for me. Tragic is how I see that as I have photographed with much more expensive gear.

    The D500 we have is used exclusively in a very expensive underwater housing. So the is now lost to me for my use. The D500 is THE camera that should be updated. I have written probably fifty times to Nikon about that. They MAY have listened about the Z6 and Z7. But they are OBLIVIOUS to the full time pros who shoot daily with D500! If a D500 was updated I would buy it.

    I MAY get a Z6 II and the FTZ and the 24-70 F4. I use a 70-300 AF-P DX and gave my not the latest Nikon 70-300 AF-P FX to my grandson who uses it sometimes on a Black Magic 7K with an Atomos Ninja and stabilizers.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,023Member
    Nikon SHOULD do a Z70!!!!
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,639Member
    DaveyJ said:

    The river in the entire West Coast for Steelhead that is my single favorite is the Smith River in Oregon. To float down past towering Redwood Trees and catch and release them in such clear water is about as close to Heaven as i will get! Not many people and spectacular scenery. One of the best places in the World for awesome scenery!

    Having grown up in BC, I have been almost everywhere and take it for granted. For the last 15 years my "local" trips (don't get on a plane) have been focussed on the US from the Rockies westward.

    Oregon is a particular favorite. It has the Wallowa/Hells Canyon area, the Cascades (especially Crater Lake) and the Oregon Coast. I have done four significant trips on the Oregon Coast. I will add the Smith River to the list. This shot was done on one of those Oregon rivers:

    Kama Sutra, Insect Style, Oregon, 2014
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,392Member
    NSXTypeR said:



    If Nikon doesn't produce any small primes for Z mount DX that is going to be a problem as I highly enjoyed using the 35mm 1.8. I also have no interest in a FTZ adapter so if Nikon is up front and decides not to produce any small primes, I'd get a D7500 and a 70-300 AF-P FX tomorrow.

    Because if I go all in on a Z mount camera, I'd have to use my 105mm macro with a FTZ adapter and I have no doubt that's a lot of lens torquing on that Z mount.

    I'd like to have a better sensor, as any DSLR or mirrorless has to have better performance for me to justify the purchase. Right now with a Pixel 3, night sight is more than good enough for static subjects in very dark situations.

    I have some doubts about there being any dedicated Z mount DX primes. Thinking the "compact primes" on the roadmap will be as close as it gets.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,639Member
    edited November 2020
    If Nikon carefully plans those compact prime focal lengths, they might be pretty good on DX. I doubt that DX will be much smaller than FX. In fact, they will balance quite nicely on a Z 50.

    A 10, 15, 20, 28, 40 and 50 would be 15, 22, 30, 42, 50 and 75 in DX. They are likely to be qiute sharp in the DX area.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,392Member
    10 or 15mm FF compact prime? That would be really cool although I can't see it happening. I expect a Z mount 10-20 (or thereabouts) zoom lens to cover that range.
Sign In or Register to comment.