Nikon D telephoto with new teleconverter

MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
I desperately want a 600 f4 lens but may only be able to afford a D type (G type is pushing it and E type is out of the budget completely). I would want to use it with my TCE-14iii extender. Is there any problem using the newest extender with a D type lens? I would be using it mostly on a D500 body, though I also have a D850 body.

Comments

• MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I found the answer in this Nikon chart: https://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html
    It looks like the previous TCE-14ii will work but not my TCE-14iii. It would be easy enough for me to pick up a version ii extender.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yup, you have to find the TC-14EII or a first gen TC-14E (AF-I version) that is optically the same, but has different lens coatings.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Thanks for confirmation. I may just go in debt for the G version because there is one in excellent condition on Ebay from a seller with 100 percent rating who sent me a private offer knocking an additional 400 bucks off.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I can see that ..you want the F4 so you can use it at F8. Might as well have a N200-500 f5.6. My experience with converters is that its better to crop than use one.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    For what it is worth, I have the 400 2.8E and all three converters. It is better to use the converter than crop in each of the three situations.
    edited May 2020
    TCs are very good when used on high quality primes, but they are useless on zooms, as one would expect. I doubt Pinstnbroke has used one of the high end telephoto primes, so take the comment with that in mind.

I found the Tc14E to be excellent on the AF-S 300mm F4D IF-ED, AF-S 300mm F2.8G ED VRII, and it's okay on the 200-400mm F4G VR. As I said, much better on primes. Stopped down to F5.6 it's very sharp on the 300s, and ok on the 200-400. F8, very good on all. For close subjects crop is good. For distant ones, glass optics, TC or not, will always be better.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I currently have the 500 f5.6 PF lens and tc14Eiii which work great alone or together. However (as most of you know) it is not practical to use that lens with the tc20Eiii because it becomes very dark at maximum f11 and also loses autofocus capabilities.
    edited May 2020
    Which version of the 600mm F4D were you looking at? The first gen AF-I versions are not known to have fast AF, so a TC wouldn't be a good idea. I'm willing to bet the two early AF-S versions (no VR) are much better, but will likely feel slow to focus compared to the 500mm F5.6E PF.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    Yes I found another photo forum where someone with experience posted the only 600D worth getting is the most recent AF-S ii. They said to say away from Af-I and the first AF-S, for reasons including repair parts are no longer available. As I type this I am waffling between spending a lot (too much really) for a 600G on ebay with the offered discount or a 600Dii on ebay for a bit less (but not that much less) or a more reasonably priced 500G at KEH with a TC20Eiii teleconverter. I think I will go with the last not only for price but also because the 600 lenses just seem too big too handle. (And yes I know the 500G is big, but not as big as the 600, the latter of which would probably require a new tripod whereas I think the 500 I can use what I have).
    I just placed the order with KEH for 500 f4G and TC20Eiii teleconverter. I will let you know how it works out. (I also have a D500 arriving tomorrow which will give me the appearance of extra reach due to crop sensor). I have found a den of coyotes with very small pups (about 3 weeks currently?) at a small nearby nature reserve, but there is a locked gate and sign that prevents people from getting close to where they are at. (Not because of the birth; it's an area that is always off limits). I have gotten some record shots with my current setup but I am hoping this will get me something more usable so I can document their growth (as well as use it for other wildlife photography).
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I think you made a good choice ..the old D lenses are not so good optically and the worm drive a bit restricting.Certainly not future proof. Not sure on the 2x v 1.4. With the DX crop you will have a limited field of view at 1000mm making it difficult to find your target. I use a rifle site even with 400mm on FX. Let us know how it goes.