How to remove rear filter holder

MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
(I tried search on internet, both inside and outside NR, and did not find answer).

I just received shipment of a used Nikon 500mm f/4 G lens. It looks great but I can't figure out how to remove the rear filter holder. Honestly I doubt I will ever use it, but I want to make sure it's not broken in case I need to notify KEH (where I bought it). At first I thought the knob unscrewed, but all this did was remove the knob itself. So I screwed it back on and figured out the knob will push straight down. This seems to loosen the filter holder, but it still won't slide out. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The lens is designed to have a filter in place ..if you take it out the image quality is reduced ...Is there something wrong with your google ?? Its all on there .
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I don't want to take the filter out (as in leave it out and shoot with the slot empty). I just want to know how to remove the slot if I ever need to change it (say use a polarizing filter). As I said in my opening sentence I did an internet search first and did not find the answer. However, after using the lens outside this afternoon, it may be a moot point because the images are all soft and I am likely going to return it. I think it's defective because there are sections that are blurred (mostly in the middle) and sections that are sharp (mostly on the left side). It's almost as if the glass is wavy. Even a shot of the moon at high shutter speed was soft (and I did the same shot yesterday with my 500 PF and 1.4 teleconverter on same camera and it was tack sharp.
    edited May 2020
    If on JPEG did you up the sharpness to +9 and have you set the fine focus adjust ?
    This left centre sof issue does sound a bit strange..I have had lenses that were "decentered" giving odd out of focus areas.
    The filter instructions are on the nikon site ..look for the lens manual.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2020
    To removed the filter from the pro supertelephtos you push down on the knob and turn it until the line is parrael with the rear of the lens (when locked it is in line with the lens body front to back). Really easy to do, doubt you could break it if you tried. I take it out from 200-400mm F4G VR from time to time just to make sure it's free of dust. If you still cannot get it out, it might have seized, not much you can do about that. I had something like the happen with the eye-cup rubber on a camera once and Nikon repair people just shrugged and said, "good luck".
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Note for all ..to remove the eyecup rubber from a Nikon with a eyepiece shutter you must have the shutter closed as there is a latch to stop the eyepiece rubber rotating built in ..( with thanks to angry photographer)
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    Thanks for replies but I have gotten a return authorization from KEH (they were very good about it) and will be sending the lens back today. I am however keeping the TC20Eiii that I got with it, as I can use it with my 70-200 f2.8E when I want to travel light and leave my 500 PF at home.
    You are a lucky rich guy,