Auto Extension Tubes

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
Hey guys,

Anbody got any knowledge/experience of using auto extension rubes on nikon bodies& lenses?

I am thinking about trying one on my D850/70-200 f4.

Will it work?
Always learning.

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Provided they have the full set of contacts it works fine ...well mine do
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Thanks, that's good to know.

What lens do you use on it/them, do you have a pukka macro lens and if so, how does the performance of the non-macro lenses on the tubes compare to the macro?
    Always learning.
    edited June 2020
    Worked normal with The T 100-400 and the N24-85 @85 .get it in rough focus then the auto pulls it in .If you extend too far you may have to manual focus.Only got very cheap plastic tubes but with full contacts.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Great, thanks P&b.
    Always learning.
    So as Nikon don't make an auto focus tube, I bought a set of aluminium Mieke's. £43. Hopefully my 70-200 f4 will be good on them.
    Always learning.
    A tube is a tube of any make so you will be happy or not .If we go back the concept was devised for 50mm lenses in the 1960s ( I was there)
    Fingers Crossed because a tube can be made right, or it could be made wrong. Especially one with electrical contacts.

Interesting point about the 50mm, I had Olympus auto bellows for my OM1 (auto as in stop-down(by cable)) back in the 70's but that's as early as I go. I have recently seen results from a Nikkor 200mm micro on an extension tube, and the results were very good.
    Always learning.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

Fingers Crossed because a tube can be made right, or it could be made wrong. Especially one with electrical contacts.

Interesting point about the 50mm, I had Olympus auto bellows for my OM1 (auto as in stop-down(by cable)) back in the 70's but that's as early as I go. I have recently seen results from a Nikkor 200mm micro on an extension tube, and the results were very good.

I have often used my three Kenko extension tubes on my 200 f/4.0 and yes I agree. Of course, the DOF gets more and more difficult. With the Kenko, you get auto-focus too. I never use that though. I rarely use autofocus on my macro lenses though, unless I am shooting a landscape.
    Are you going to give us a review Spraynpray?
    I am waist deep in renovating the next bathroom at the moment, so can't go into great detail P&B.

I bought the metal Meike set from China for £43. They fit, the VR works well and the 70-200 f4 focusses pretty quickly once the focus range is limited. Next thing to do is actually use them in anger which I'll try to do tomorrow.
    Always learning.