New Lens Day

trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
edited August 2020 in Nikon Lenses
I've been a very naughty boy (and I'm not the Messiah).
I have bought a Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VRII ;)
And in another Python reference, it was a bargain.
Boxed & complete, it all seems to work, and there's nary a mark on it.
Mind you, I haven't taken it outside yet - my wife keeps getting home early, and of course, she doesn't know about it yet!
Fortunately, a 14-24 f2.8 I was watching went for more than I bid
Post edited by trolley on

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited August 2020
    Congrats! I have the same lens. Like it a lot.

As far as the 14-24 - consider the Sigma ART version. It's an excellent lens. The nikon one is getting kind of old now.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    The price of a used Sigma Art is the same as a used Nikkor, if not more.
    I’m bargain hunting
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I suppose you would be "off your trolley " to consider the samyang 14mm f2.8.

ps off your trolley is a UK expression meaning gone mad.
    No, but I like zooms - saves the legs :)
    so sharp you just crop .... saves the legs ....
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I just ordered a 20 mm f/1.8 S yesterday. I was waiting as I already have the F mount 20 mm but I came up with a new use for that one, so now I have a hole in my carry bag.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    @Pistnbroke are you talking about the AF or the MF Samyang 14 2.8?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Symphotic, the 20 1.8 is the sharpest 1.8 in the lineup, which is really surprising given its competition and focal length.

I was using the 20 1.8G on my D850 today in Banff. It complements my 28 1.4E quite well when I need something wider for a landscape.

I will look forward to hearing how you think the 20s compare.

The only complaint I have about the 20s is that they are not 19. That extra mm would come in handy sometimes.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It was a shame that Nikon never updated the 14mm F2.8, guess it didn’t sell well after the 14-24mm F2.8 came out.

My latest bargains was a mint 85mm F1.8D. I just love some of the character of the AF-D primes, optical flaws and all. Now I have the AF-24 F2.8n, AF-35F2D, AF-85mm F1.8D. The small size and light weight of them more than make up for what they lack, even on the D750 and D810. AF drive speed is also more than fast enough with the primes too. These days the primes live on the D810, and the 14-24G, 24-70G, 70-200VRII work on the D750.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    I have often thought about buying the 85 1.4D just because of its delicious optical flaws.

In my view, my 14-24 2.8G is my 14mm prime.
    edited August 2020
    I rented an 85mm F1.4D, 8 years ago for a few weeks, simply an awesome lens to shoot with. The 1.8D or 1.8G don't hold a candle to it's characteristics, but I for one don't shoot 85mm often enough to justify it, the 1.8D was heavily discounted by a local dealer here in Vancouver, just after the COVID reopening.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    @m hedges...I have the manual 14mm Samyang f 2.8..I never focus it just use it at F5.6 and 10ft.( you guessed its taped up !) Never had a problem from low angle shots of wedding breakfast tables to vast groups from the top of my steps. It has the on board chip so the camera is happy with it.
    I am sure the AF one would be fine but more expensive. I have no reason or intent to change it.
    edited August 2020
    I'm having some interior work done on the house in the coming months. The rooms (Bathroom & Kitchen) aren't big, so I was thinking of the 14-24 for documenting before, during & after the work. Maybe a 16mm would work? I'd rent one, but the kitchen may take 3 weeks, which would be a tad costly.
    And I could use it for astrophotography - which I don't do 'cos there's too much light pollution where I live.
    Or maybe I just want the 'holy trinity' :D
    Post edited by trolley on
    edited August 2020
    When I was doing something similar, indoor shots, I found 16 to be fine, but those extra 2mm can be nice in a tight spot. It’s nicer than the 16-35mm F4, unless you are shooting video, the VR is worth it for that. I still have it, because nobody wants to buy them, even at discounted used prices. The 14-24 is still the least used of the trinity fir me, but don’t regret getting anyway, since it was half of current retail price used. You really do have to watch for the flare as the reviews say, and it’s easy to get at 14mm. That is the nice thing about the 16-35mm, no flare and easy to use with filters.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    Trolley ..just get the 14mm Samyang and stop playing games ..great for astro too.
    edited August 2020

....Symphotic, the 20 1.8 is the sharpest 1.8 in the lineup, which is really surprising given its competition and focal length.....
    The only complaint I have about the 20s is that they are not 19. That extra mm would come in handy sometimes.

I’m always looking for wider and sharper. The 20 mm f/1.8 G is a bit disappointing in some respects but my 8-15 fisheye and 14-24 never fail to please.
    Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    trolley said:

Or maybe I just want the 'holy trinity' :D

Of course you do!
    Jack Roberts
    The holy trinity is the main reason that I will stay committed to using DSLRs until 2030 or so. The holy trinity is ideal for one of my use cases.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'll never part with my 24-35 f2 while I have a DSLR.
    Always learning.
    So I chickened out of a 14-24 f2.8.
    I bought a 14mm f2.8 for just over $500 off the Bay. Not boxed & no case, but it looks & works fine
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I have the AF-S NIKKOR 24mm f/1.4G ED and the Nikon 14mm to 24 mm F/2.8 and I tend to use the zoom unless I need the extra stop that the prime has for astrophotography or very low light work.

Both are so sharp they will hurt your eyes..

And I also have the Nikon 85mm F/1.4 which I use for Portraits or very low light work.

But frankly the nikon 14mm-24mm, 24mm to 70mm & 80mm to 400 mm and/or 70mm to 200mm are my go to lenses.

Denver Shooter