Matt Granger dumps Nikon

2»

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Don't think the cancelled Olympics has helped.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited September 2020
    PB_PM said:

When all AP did was short, albeit emotionally driven, gear reviews, I enjoyed his work, it was a different perspective, rather than the usual numbers based technical stuff. Then all the strange rants, and spending ten minutes criticizing others for daring to have a different view than he did started, it got old fast. Of course it was about the time I started to tune out on many of the big shot YouTube photographers, as they all just got boring to listen to, and you could tell what brand was sponsoring them.

That's what keeps me from watching most gear reviews too. Gear reviews are also boring to me because I'm not in the market for another camera. If you're just going to regurgitate a spec sheet to me, I can read that in less than 2 minutes on a webpage rather than watch a 20 minute rant.

The only site I really keep up with is Thom Hogan's, who is fairly unbiased and willing to call out Nikon for shortcomings. His analysis of Nikon is that they're fairly healthy as a company overall even with the recent pandemic.

When Panasonic went full frame and Olympus did nothing, it really was indicative of what was to come with Olympus. I don't think Pentax is going to stick around for much longer either honestly.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Olympus yeah, no surprise, M4/3s has been kind of dead other than the GH5 for a while now. Fuji kind of killed them in some ways. Ricoh might keep Pentax around, since photography is kind of hobby thing for them, they likely just write the losses off against other divisions to save on taxes.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM I agree with you on AP. Before he went Fuji silly he did good stuff. He has not reviewed the Z6/7 ( he does not need to buy one) Keeps bleating on about his lack of money ..oh yes ..Two houses ,two nice cars and a farm . Oh yes he is short of money NOT. Then we have all this magnetic techno-babble. Tesla orientated science etc. He has just gone off the rails ( too much vitamin C)
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    The angry photographer seems totally incompetent to me, and he talks for minutes about something you can say in one sentence.

Otherwise I do a search and look at most reviews when I am interested in some gear. It rarely happens though. I am happy with what I have until the day it is clear wich mirorrless alternative is best for bird photography.

Matt Granger is ok, but not the best when it comes to nature photography. Steve Perry is a lot better.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Thom Hogan and Brad hill are the ones I follow closely. Brad shoots and reviews only what he uses for wildlife, Nikon and what is compatible with it. As I shoot Nikon I find that of value. Others I find interesting but mostly when I am researching a purchase and want other opinions. Nature, wildlife, and sports reviews interest me most.
    Snakebunk....no doubt you have checked out Steves new forum " Black Country Gallery Forum" Very mature and well organised at only 2 weeks old and mainly Nature and Nikon
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Steve Perry is good. He's one of the few reviewers who can actually take good pictures. Also for now, he hasn't been bought yet. Honestly I don't care about the opinions of most reviewers out there who can't produce quality pictures unless it's pure objective equipment testing.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    tc88 said:

Steve Perry is good. He's one of the few reviewers who can actually take good pictures. Also for now, he hasn't been bought yet. Honestly I don't care about the opinions of most reviewers out there who can't produce quality pictures unless it's pure objective equipment testing.

I forgot about Steve Perry. He seems like he's good at explaining advanced AF techniques.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @Pistnbroke: Thanks, I'll check it out.

I also like Thomas Heaton, Morten Hilmer and Matt Gould because they make me want to get out and photograph.