Discontinued lenses reducing DSLR viability.

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
I noted today that the 28-300 is one of the Nikon lenses discontinued. I have two but this and other deletions makes one wonder about DSLR and F mount continued use. Certainly reduces the value of F mount cameras you have and makes the D870 questionable.

Comments

• photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    Nikon and Canon did say they where committing fully to mirrorless and I don't see the case for a D860/870 when we'll have a Z8 and Z7ii/Z7iii. When Nikon get their R5 moment the wish for a D850 replacement will die as quickly as the Canon folks wish for a 5DV and 5DsII. A D850 replacement could only be a Z8 without IBIS, human/eye AF, subject tracking, and all the other things that sell cameras these days.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    The DX 16-80 (along with several other DX lenses) is also on the list. That surprises me - it's an excellent lens. This makes me question the ongoing viability of F mount DX even more. Honestly it seems like it isn't viable at this point.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    mhedges said:

The DX 16-80 (along with several other DX lenses) is also on the list. That surprises me - it's an excellent lens. This makes me question the ongoing viability of F mount DX even more. Honestly it seems like it isn't viable at this point.

An excellent lens that perhaps few want to buy. Anecdotal evidence suggests people buy a DX camera with the kit lens and a very negligible percentage will buy extra lenses. Or they buy a D500 and buy gold ring FF lenses to go with it.
    edited May 2021

mhedges said:

An excellent lens that perhaps few want to buy. Anecdotal evidence suggests people buy a DX camera with the kit lens and a very negligible percentage will buy extra lenses. Or they buy a D500 and buy gold ring FF lenses to go with it.
    The 16-80 was the kit lens that went with D500. It is an excellent lens and seemed to be a pretty popular for higher end DX users. It was expensive and never went on sale AFAIK. I can't really think of a FF Lens that would make sense to use in it's place. I guess the 24-120 but that's much bigger and of course you wouldn't have much of a wide angle with it.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I have no interest in mirrorless (rented one recently and after only a few shots knew I hated it and returned it). So for me it's Nikon F for as long as mine still work or can be repaired. Thankfully I have the lenses I need, so I should be good for the foreseeable future. I have two D850's (plus a D500) but if the D850 price keeps dropping I may pick one up and just keep it in the box for when one of mine eventually dies.
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 44Member

I have no interest in mirrorless (rented one recently and after only a few shots knew I hated it and returned it). So for me it's Nikon F for as long as mine still work or can be repaired. Thankfully I have the lenses I need, so I should be good for the foreseeable future. I have two D850's (plus a D500) but if the D850 price keeps dropping I may pick one up and just keep it in the box for when one of mine eventually dies.

I'm in the same boat. I have no complaints about my D850. My wife has a Z7. She loves it, I'm not overly impressed. A second D850 is on my wish list.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    bcmmike said:

I'm in the same boat. I have no complaints about my D850. My wife has a Z7. She loves it, I'm not overly impressed. A second D850 is on my wish list.
    Honestly me too! I'm happy shooting with my D7000. I have all the lenses I'd like to shoot with right now.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    With $500 off the D850 does that mean the end or a replacement ?
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    @Pistnbroke I am pretty sure it means the end, not a replacement, though I would be happy to be proven wrong.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I mean worst case scenario you can still buy used FX lenses, there's plenty available. I'm fairly certain there are new old stock for certain lenses.

Lenses aren't really disposable items, so unless there's something available for the Z mount that isn't available for the F mount, it's not like F mount is going away for the short term.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    D850 has been $500 off before somewhat recently so who knows.

• CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    I wonder what message is Nikon sending by killing their newest DX DSLR "golden ring" lens. They still kit the D500 with this lens.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The D500 won’t be far behind, simple as that. The days of the DSLR for Nikon are fading fast. If you want ones with newer tech in the future it looks like Pentax will be the only option, since they are apparently going to make them till they totally sink into the abyss.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.