Nikon Z 200-600 lens, WHEN?

Comments

• MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I really, really want Nikon to make the 200-600 ASAP! There is a local reserve I go to often here in southern Arizona where bobcats are regularly seen (and are used to people). This is where I tried the rented Sony 200-600 and it was ideal. I can use my 70-200 with 1.4x Nikon and it works okay most of the time, but when they are farther away or when coyotes (much more shy) visit the adjacent basins, I have to switch to APS-C body and 500PF. A 200-600 on full frame would be perfect and I could throw a 1.4x in my pocket for when coyotes are too far away. To get an idea of what the (Sony) 200-600 can do, here are a series of photos from another photographer I know from the same preserve I visit: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1740065
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I am using a Sony A 1 and the 200-600 lens my son owns. He suggests the Z 9 and whenever they make a 200-600 would be better. I finally have been able to order a Z 9 camera through my local dealer. We order a LOT thru B&H and I am able to get some gear thru them like the new Z S 100-400 which I use on the Z 6 II which will go back to having the Z S kit lens the 24-70 F 4 as soon as "my" Z 9 gets shipped to me. I also will get a Nikon 1.4 TC for the Z 100-400 almost as soon as the Z 9 gets to me. I have been very impressed with the Sony A 1 and the 200-600.

My son is convinced the lens we have needs to be fine-tuned to be optimum. I have not used that combo enough yet to say it needs that improvement. I do think the Nikon Z 100-400 is right on in terms of very sharp. But I sure feel Nikon NEEDS the 200-600 Z lens ASAP.
    Since the Sony A7iv was finally in stock again this morning (BH), I bit the bullet and bought one along with Sony G 200-600mm lens. The one I rented was so stellar that I couldn't resist and couldn't wait to see what Nikon does. Since I don't have any Z mount, I have no compelling reason to wait. I will use my Nikon D850's and standard zooms (up to 70-200) for landscape and architecture and environmental wildlife. I will use my Sony for wildlife exclusively. I will sell my D500 and 500PF lens.
    edited February 2022
    Thom Hogan who shoots them all and is a serious wildlife photographer says the Nikon D500 is still the best DX APS-C digital camera. We are still using ours a lot.

We do use the Black Magic and Sony A 1 a lot also, but DX has a distinct advantage when it comes to reach and having used the Sony A 1 and that same 200-600 that MrMotoFool just acquired I do wonder if the Sony A7iv is going to do much more than the D500 which I have used with the 200-500 f5.6 and regularly use with the D7500.

So I conclude that Nikon better get more modest long range zooms if it intends to hold market share. The $13,000 lens do less to help retain Nikon's position and I am certain that DX has a far better market share than some believe and Nikon cannot afford to let the D500 be the end of the really awesome DX line.

My son took a trip to US Virgin Islands in anticipation of investing down there, and NEVER once used the FX gear he took. The full frame leaning is NOT borne out by actual use. The Nikon Z fc I use and the Z 50 still get used MOST by me despite owning some really serious Z cameras and lens.

MrMotoFool now is using Sony gear for wildlife gear and from my use of the Sony 200-600 which was certainly less than I paid for the Nikon Z 100-400 S lens I would still be convinced the D500 needs a Z camera update. I've used the D850 and chose NOT to buy one as another D500 would be a better investment for me and the D7500 I use a lot proves to me the D 850 although a great camera is not the Holy Grail.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I'm curious how the Z 200-600 will be priced. It's not an "S" line lens so should be somewhat economical but I will be surprised to see it come in at the "bargain" price that the F mount 200-500 was. My guess is it will be the same price as the Sony lens, or at best a little cheaper.
    edited February 2022
    I will be buying one if it is rated very good. I use the DX Z 50-250 on the Z 50 and the 16-50 on the Z fc now MOST of the time. My son on his trip to US Virgin Islands did use the Sony A 1 a fair amount with the 14-30 and although he tried to use the 200-600 too he just couldn't get "back far enough" to use that. Great wide and normal scenes there but sparse use for a super telephoto zoom. And ALL of the first images sent were cell phone.

Seems like it wasn't worth hauling that big lens. That lens cost $2,100. Unless you know wildlife shots were going to be needed.....He did get cell phone photos of Asian Mongoose, but that was several and sure did not have prep time.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 44Member
    mhedges said:

I'm curious how the Z 200-600 will be priced. It's not an "S" line lens so should be somewhat economical but I will be surprised to see it come in at the "bargain" price that the F mount 200-500 was. My guess is it will be the same price as the Sony lens, or at best a little cheaper.

I would HOPE that the price is around what the Sony unit is. I can't see how Nikon would be able to charge much more than Sony does, but admittedly I'm no expert
    I would buy yet another Z50 based on my use of these cameras. I use my Z50 exclusively with the 50-250 which is awesome. But a D500 mirrorless version AND the 200-600 non S lens we need ASAP!
    The 200-600 roadmap better be updated ASAP. We use the 200-600 on the Sony A 1 a LOT and the Nikon Z version is overdue!
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    DaveyJ said:

The 200-600 roadmap better be updated ASAP. We use the 200-600 on the Sony A 1 a LOT and the Nikon Z version is overdue!

There isn’t a body to go with the 200-600 yet. Nikon have been releasing these lenses with matching bodies and even said as much with the introduction of the Zed bodies. I expect it’ll come with a 50 mk2 or the 6 mk3… some entry level body with a Expeed 7 processor.
    In reference to my earlier post, the Sony 200-600 lens is indeed stellar. The camera (A74), however, has been out for warranty repair for three weeks as of today (and still no date on when I will get it back). After a month of casual use, one of the SD card slots broke and my local camera repair could not fix it - they said the entire bottom needed to be replaced. The SD is stuck in the permanent eject position so it will only push a card out but will not click down to insert a card. As a first time Sony customer, this does not give me a good feeling about their quality (and since this is a Nikon forum I am sure I will get feedback that I should have waited for the Nikon version).
    We have had NO problems with the Sony A 1. But I may just get a Z 7 II to go with my Z 6 II as I do not like changing lenses. But my MOST used cameras are the Z fc with 16-80 and Z 50 with the 50-250. I looked at the new Nikon 800 but decided I d rather have a 14-30 on a Z & II. Money is one factor for me.
    The 200-600 is the Nikon lens I want. Non S, less money.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2022
    It’s not like Nikon reads this site, you’re preaching to the choir Davey.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    To PB_PM. Yes but they should be!

I get my Z 9 next week and the 14-30 F4 lens and a circular polarizing filter and the CF Express cards. But I admit that a DX version of the D500 in a Z Mount is really what I need. The sensor shield and fast focus was just too tempting. Besides, at my age I decided I'd better make my move now.

The Nikon S 100-400 Z lens will be on the Z 9 most of the time. A 600 PF Z might get my attention but Nikon will do what it wants to do when it wants to, Nikon Rumors and Thom Hogan's website have been my way of staying in touch.
    @DaveyJ why not the 100-400 + 800PF? I think a 600 PF is just a bit too close to the 100-400 with a TC for my liking. And if I wanted more light there is a upcoming 400 PF that I am sure will be f/4.0 or f/f4.5 at worst which would still get you a 600mm like lens with a the 1.4x.
    photobunny is right here for my target. The 800 f4 PF is likely a Home Run for Nikon! Still the 200-600 non S lens will get my interest, but ONLY if I could not afford the 800. So Nikon has made a great move there! The 600 I would never buy. I do not own one TC now.

The Nikon Z 800 PF f6.3 should probably be the next lens I get after this Z 9 and 14-30 F4. But the Z9 and the 14-30 plus the 82mm circular polarizer and the CF Express cards will set me into more credit card debt, so I have to wait on the 800 PC for awhile. The 200-600 should be a modestly priced lens. Yet I should get a prime 800 rather than a zoom as there will be trade offs with the 200-600. A 400 f4 PF would be my LAST choice since my new Z 100-400 I already own covers that base for me.

IF I GET the 800 f6.3 PF it will be my only prime lens. My days of medium and large format and no longer doing huge prints for me is the end of my prime lens purchases. I spent a fortune on medium and large format and ONLY miss my Fuji GX 617 and the four lens panels. I would never go to a larger format again!
    DaveyJ said:

A 400 f4 PF would be my LAST choice since my new Z 100-400 I already own covers that base for me.

I will likely get ether the 400 f/2.8 TC and/or the 400 PF f/4.x to go with my 100-400 S and 800 PF. The 100-400 is f/5.6 on the long end and there are places I go like dense forests where I want more light or for some subjects where they are only active at dawn and dusk that I'll want more light and they don't need more reach than 400mm affords. ISO 16,000 is where I am most comfortable on the Z9 as a maximum but I a f/4.0 would give me 8000 and a f/2.8 would give me 4000 ISO on the fox or a faster shutter speed.
    edited July 2022
    I am using the Z 9 with the 100-400 Z S lens a very large part on DX. I carry that and the lovely Z fc with the 16-50 kit lens with excellent results. I sure have contacted Nikon about the need for a Z90 and the 200-600. I do not like to change lens in the field despite the sensor shield on the Z 9. I do have an order in for a 800 f 6.3 PF but would greatly prefer the Z 90 and the 200-600. That lens would probably stay on the Z90. I have never taken the 16-50 off the Z fc camera. I use the Z 6 II with the Z 14-30 and that camera stays set up that way. Must admit the Z 9 and 100-400 is a nice rig. I could deal with a 1.4 TC if the other stuff takes forever to ship out.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    Though I still use (and love) my Nikon D850's and trinity of lenses, for long lens wildlife my Sony 200-600 is just about perfect. I sold my D500 and 500PF lens because I found the lack of zoom too limiting. When I was with Canon I used a 100-400 but found it was often not long enough. I went with Sony (for wildlife only) because of the stellar 200-600 lens. If Nikon had one in similar quality I would have likely bought it and a Z mount camera, but they don't so they lost my business to Sony for mirrorless.
    I finally just bought a second Z fc and will use my Z 50 for long treks in portage country during color peak. I ordered a Z 1.4 TC for use on the Z 9 and the 100-400 Z S lens when I need it. I gave up on the 800 Z f 6.3 long wait and too much money for me.The Nikon 200-600 seems a long way off. But I will buy one when available if the price is OK, meaning no more than $2,500.

My family uses the Sony A 1 with several lens and admit the Z 9 is better. They have used my Z 9 which I leave the 100-400 lens on it. It is a BIG camera.
    edited September 2022
    -Now that I have the 1.4 TC the Z 9 and 100-400 is about ideal mostly the 100-400 and the TC when I need more reach. Have to admit the best DSIRs just are not as good. I do switch a fair of the time to DX mode. I will still buy a Nikon 200-600 Z when it comes out.
    I would like to buy it WITH a Z8 Nikon if it is as good as many think it will be. I would prefer that to getting a second Z 9.

I have never used a camera ever as good as the Z 9. I do not like to change lens though, and for back packing and long canoe trips with portages, The Nikon Z fc and the Z 50 are THE cameras going, NOT the BIG Z 9. And those DX Nikons will be using the kit lens, 16-50 on the Z fc and 50-250 on the Z 50.

l
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    DaveyJ said:

My family uses the Sony A 1 with several lens and admit the Z 9 is better. They have used my Z 9 which I leave the 100-400 lens on it. It is a BIG camera.

I think for a big lens like a 200-600, the Z9 will balance much better than a Sony A1. As mentioned already I have the Sony 200-600 with A74, but I had to get the extra battery grip to make it feel right (whereas with my Nikon D850 I do not need a battery grip). I love my Sony lens but the camera is only good, certainly not great. (The SD card slot also broke within the first two months needing warranty repair and apparently this is a common issue, which does not give me confidence in the quality of Sony bodies).
    Still waiting...
    Canon has had a 100-500 for a while, Sony their 200-600 (which I use), where is Nikon? Now that Z9 is finally in stock and can be bought without a waiting list, will they announce the mythical Z8? If so will they announce a 200-600 to go with it? Sony will be announcing an A7rV on October 26; will a Nikon Z8 and 200-600 announcement follow to keep Sony from taking all the headlines?