Female Athlete Portraits

2»

Comments

• aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
    edited March 2013
    Yes, the spinning hair-flick with the cropped wrist was in camera, it was good enough otherwise to leave it in.

Which image are you talking about with the light falloff? the first black and white posted here?
    Post edited by aquarian_light on
    D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 50mm 1.8G, 85 1.8G, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    edited March 2013
    For beginners who find this thread and are wondering about cropping portraits, I found this diagram the other day and thought it would have been useful to me when I was starting portrait post production.

Link to Diagram

Crop on green, avoid red.

It can get much more complicated but this is a great simple start.
    Post edited by Elvishefer on
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    For my money, I thought the shot in color was excellent. The black and white was a little puzzling to me; felt a little like the Blair Witch Project. That said, I went to your FB page and thought some of the boxing photos were really quite good. One man's pov, I guess.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited March 2013
    I've learned that photographing people, who are not experienced models yet are posing, by yourself, using flash and/or modifiers, in public, did I mention by yourself, is a hefty task. They're self conscious about every look while you/us/the photographer is/are trying to get it as right in camera as possible. My hat's off to those who can pull it off as I've tried several times and know that I need more experience than I initially thought. I too think the color photo was excellent. The B&W was also exposed to my liking. Only her look could have been a bit different. Overall good work aquarian_light. I enjoy portrait photography - find it a challenge actually - but only wish I had a willing subject every time I wanted to go out and try some things.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    +1 to that OK RX4.

I did one shoot where one of the models was more experienced and fully engaged and soon we got into a zone where she just went for it and I shot. Piece of cake. The other model was inexperienced and self-conscious so needed lots of direction. The shooting lost rhythm and got awkward which was partly my inexperience showing too.

If you are a beginner at model shoots, shell out for a good model as she will help you get the shots more than a beginner. But if you are stuck with a paying client who fits into the second scenario, its difficult!
    Always learning.
  • aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
    Thanks for the comments guys :)
    It was remarkably tough! I took near 400 pictures in 2.5 hours and I got 2 I really liked, and 10 I was willing to give to the client! lol
    D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 50mm 1.8G, 85 1.8G, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

@aquarian_light The second full color, full length shot with the light falling off at the bottom of the feet.

Again, I should think your clients should be happy with the work! :-)

My best,

Mike
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Working with "models" or any human subject......not easy. My technique is to sit down away from the camera and discuss what we are going to do. Explore other photo experiences with the model. Discuss the concept of the fact that the camera does nothing. Shoot the camera/flash with no model and demonstrate no harm has occurred.

In some instances the model may have had a negative photo experience, yet may not be able to tell you this. Emphasize the final idea is to demonstrate and athletic look in this situation and discuss how to not make it look too "sexy". All of these can decrease the anxieties in some situations. Ask the model what he/she would like to have emphasized.

I usually will discuss situations rather than give directions to an amateur model. An amateur will respond with smile, frown, seduction, or whatever on the face as the subject is suggested. But use discretion. Pros can follow minimal direction..and generally if one has worked with them before they will almost do the job for us. Amateurs are usually so intent on pleasing the photog it becomes a difficult task to get the results unless this is recognized. I find the main idea I want to communicate to my model is my respect for her and also the idea we are working on something together as peers.
    Msmoto, mod