Giving up on F selling up for Z

2»

Comments

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 738Member
    edited October 2022
    If I were younger it would be an easier call, However, I'm a few days away from 69 and now have some mobility issues that a camera that's a half pound lighter won't solve. I have a D7200 and D750 with lowish shutter counts that along with a 24-85, 100 f2.8, 70-200 f4, 200-500 F5.6, and a couple of wide MF lenses take photos that I am very happy with. I could probably swing a Z7ii financially, but new glass is prohibitively expensive and I just don't see how the ROI works out. My hands know these bodies pretty well and although 24MP seems small in today's world, it can make for (to my eye) pretty stunning images.

Going mirrorless for its own sake (which for me I think it would be) just means getting new "stuff" at a time in my life were "stuff" is becoming more of a burden than a blessing. It's possible that I'll fall victim to the sirens' song, maybe a Z7iii or a Z8. I rather hope not. But, to all my friends who have taken the plunge and found happiness, all the best.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,342Member
    edited October 2022
    I tried saying pretty much what Capt Spaulding said, but ended up somehow in "waiting to approve your post" limbo. {sigh}

One of those D780 bodies might sound like a worthwhile addition though.
    Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    If I want to switch to mirrorless now, I should go for the Nikon Z6 (or Z7) II with the 24-120mm f/4 S, the 24mm S f/1.8, the 50mm S 1.8, the 85mm S f/1.8 and you can make every high IQ shot you want with very high ISO's and even with a 10th of a second. I keep the long G zoom lenses, in my case the 70-200mm f/4 G. I will be prepared for Black Friday.

P.S. For macro, studio and more, the 105mm f/2.8 S is outstanding.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 392Member
    Ton14 said:

P.S. For macro, studio and more, the 105mm f/2.8 S is outstanding.

Yep, all of a sudden I find myself doing a lot of close-up work, what I get for selecting HOn3 to model steam locomotives. That'll be my next acquisition...
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,444Member
    Well sales of my well priced equipment on e bay have not happened ..watchers but no buyers . I think its the Truss crash/mortgages worry ..maybe the end of the month.