Which would you buy.. D780 or Z6II+FTZ-II (to replace a D750)

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice/opinions..

My D750 has started showing its age a bit (sometimes not recording the photo despite shutter actuation, occasional inability to autofocus - where I'm sure it could previously), and I'm thinking about getting either a D780 (while they're still around) or a Z6II (plus FTZ-II so I can use my F-mount glass).

I can't really afford to replace all my F-Mount glass at the moment.

I love my D750s OVF, but its LiveView focusing is pants (I seldom use LiveView)

So the question is: which would you buy and why?

Thanks in advance ;-) ;-)
Baldy.
Tagged:

Comments

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 103Member
    Extra question: is it now possible to connect to the camera's WiFi without using SnapBridge (i.e. without BlueTooth) from dslrDashboard on an Android device (to control the camera focus/aperture etc. and take photos - not just copy photos to the Android device)?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for advice/opinions..

My D750 has started showing its age a bit (sometimes not recording the photo despite shutter actuation, occasional inability to autofocus - where I'm sure it could previously), and I'm thinking about getting either a D780 (while they're still around) or a Z6II (plus FTZ-II so I can use my F-mount glass).

I can't really afford to replace all my F-Mount glass at the moment.

I love my D750s OVF, but its LiveView focusing is pants (I seldom use LiveView)

So the question is: which would you buy and why?

Thanks in advance ;-) ;-)
    Baldy.

Z6ii. Your F-mount glass will be just as good and since you don't have any Z-mount glass, it is not a pain to deal with the FTZ. Until you buy something in Z.

Even better, a Z6iii.

Note, I shoot most of my AIS and D glass on a ZF, never taking the FTZii off. The best manual focus that those lenses have ever seen from any camera. I only have about half a dozen F-mount G and E lenses, but they work great on the Z bodies.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 103Member

Z6ii. Your F-mount glass will be just as good and since you don't have any Z-mount glass, it is not a pain to deal with the FTZ. Until you buy something in Z.

Even better, a Z6iii.

Note, I shoot most of my AIS and D glass on a ZF, never taking the FTZii off. The best manual focus that those lenses have ever seen from any camera. I only have about half a dozen F-mount G and E lenses, but they work great on the Z bodies.

Thanks for your reply ;)

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member

Even better, a Z6iii.

Thanks for your reply ;)

You are welcome.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Buy a second hand D750 lots about with low counts
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,650Member
    Start your move into the Nikon mirrorless Z system and abandon DSLR's. Look to the future, not the past. If for some reason you just love the DSLR style then get a used DLSR robust enough to last a long, long time. The "pro body style" has longer shutter lives and stronger build and better weather sealing. So get a used D850 or D5 and you will be able to use them for a long, long time. Otherwise, move into the modern era and pick up new Z mount lenses over time. The Z6III should be out soon and is expected to be a killer camera at a killer price. You will love the Z system once you move into it.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 641Member
    You can get a used Z6 for under £700 here, it is an excellent gateway drug to the Z system, that combined with a FtZ will let you run all your current lenses and leave you plenty left over vs a new body. The 50mm f/1.8 S is also super cheap and would give you the first taste of how the Z system runs when given native glass.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited February 17
    It makes sense to pick up a Nikon mirrorless now, but my only concern is if you have very heavy F-mount lenses. Would it be possible to torque the Z mount in a way that negatively affects focusing and image quality?

I too would go for the Z6.

The only exception is if you have a very large collection of F mount lenses and no budget for buying new Z mount lenses. If you get a D780 now you can shoot for a very long time without worrying about any updates or lens trade ins. Or if there's a particular F mount lens you love working with that there isn't an equivalent of in the Z mount.

I had to make a similar decision with my Nikon D7000. It was working well still but I was concerned I wouldn't be able to find a D7500 brand new. I was holding out for an update to the Z50 because I wanted to use EN-EL15 batteries, especially since I had a few lying around. I decided to just pull the trigger and get a D7500 as I had a trip to Japan coming up and I wanted to at least be somewhat accustomed to the body. I'm glad I made that decision as Nikon seems to be dragging their feet with DX mirrorless.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 721Member
    I had, and still have, a D750. I still love it, but it (and I) are approaching our expiration dates. I’m sure the 750 will still be taking great images after I’m gone, but I fell victim to the siren song of mirrorless. I bought a Z8 because I have aspirations of doing more BIF before I’m done and the 8 is the E ticket for that. After running the 8 through its paces on some landscape shots, I’m happy with my decision. Looking at the specs on the Z6ii it seem like a substantial upgrade over the D750.

If I were not so focused on birds I’m sure I’d have been happy and financially better off with a Z6ii or Z7ii. With an FTZ you’re not losing anything to a D780 and the mirrorless bodies are very, very capable.