Practical Review of $140.00 Viltrox 56mm f1.7 DX lens

donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,832Member
edited August 27 in Other Manufacturers
This is my normal set up for a practical use check of a lens. The subject is in midframe to check how far off center a subject can be composed at f1.7 and yet remain sharp enough for a nice portrait. This DX lens is mounted on the Nikon Z6II body so 24mp is reduced to about 16mp. ISO is 100. Clicking on the image will take you to flckr where you can examine the file in more detail. In my opinion it is remarkable what we can now get for $140.00. I think we are going to see more cheap, but very good, lenses come out of China over the next few years. I have shot a lot of older MF cheap used OEM and third part lenses but I am thinking the new cheap Chinese AF lenses will be much more convenient to work with. It seems to me that if you don't want to "play with" or "need" or cannot afford the ultra-sharp "high end" Nikon glass this new wave of cheap Chinese AF lenses might just be the way to go for some change and "character." Of course, It would be nice if Nikon produced a high megapixel DX body, say something like a 42mp DX sensor body. Maybe if Nikon produces a very high megapixel full frame sensor Z7II it will then have the ability to put that same technology into a DX sensor body and we will finally have a replacement for the D500. However, I am not sure there is an advantage in producing a high mp DX body when the same resolution can be achieved by simply shooting a high mp FX body in DX mode. Speed, size and weigh could be an advantage but a high mp FX mirrorless body with a fast processor and big buffer may be sufficient to equal the beloved D500's speed, size and weight performance.

Z62_1492_A_1383
Post edited by donaldejose on

Comments