Nikon rangefinder (Daydream) to take on the Leica M?

2»

Comments

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,703Member
    edited March 2013
    Agreed, Msmoto. Will Nikon or Cannon or someone else be the first one brave enough to produce such a new format when the technology allows for it?
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    kenadams.
    I too am right-handed but left-eyed. If you are 'left-eyed' your nose keeps moving the sensor position around as your nose rubs against the joy-stick, at least mine does. Maybe I just have an abnormally big nose! Most annoying. Yes, I know I can lock it but then you can't quickly use the joystick to move sensors around without unlocking it again.

One other related opinion. Does anyone else hate electronic viewfinders? I cannot stand them and would never get a camera with one. Pure prejudice!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ DJBee49

I am curious about which electronic viewfinder you are referring to. Specifically on which camera body. My guess is some are better than others.

Thanks
    Msmoto, mod
    The most modern one I have used was a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 (three years ago I think) that I bought for my daughter. Its performance is very good and she loves it. I have also used older Nikon Coolpix cameras that have performed remarkably well in decent light conditions. I just dislike the feeling of 'remoteness', the electronic feeling (rather than a direct optical one )and particularly dislike having to look at a rear screen instead of through a viewfinder on the simpler cameras.

However I take the point and will have a peak down a really up to date one to see if I dislike them less. You never know!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    You cannot really compare the kind of EVF's in point and shoot cameras to those found in higher end products. Go to a camera shop and look through the EVF of a Sony SLT or other modern high end device and you might change your mind. They still cannot match optical, by any means, but they are better than in the past.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Well the discussion on the main blog is about the topic of What the Nikon Coolpix A camera should have been?

And, here we are again....I think the question is "when?"

Let's hope that Nikon is listening...like this is the real daydream..... ;)
    Msmoto, mod
  • DaveODaveO Posts: 12Member
    Weren't the old 28ti and 35ti Nikons close to being rangefinders or did they have AF back then?
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @DJBee49 - there are some good EVF on the market, the best I've seen is probably on Nex-7. I also like the one on V1, though it's not close to NEX-7.
    @adamz. Thanks. I will have a look at one when I am next in my camera shop. I will be sticking to the D800 for the time being though. It is an extraordinary camera!
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    @DJBee49 - extraordinary indeed. can't believe it's almost a year since I got mine d800 (03.23)
  • FlyingOkoFlyingOko Posts: 16Member
    Judging by the fact that my original blog post mocking up a digital Nikon S3 rangefinder - retrostyled, optical rangefinder, has been visited by over 5,000 people in 48 hours, I would state that the interest in such a camera is indeed high.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I had a chance to play with the Sony Nex-7 incl. kit lens this Saturday and it did not really convince me. Picture quality is very decent, but the handling, the digital viewfinder , the options for manual focussing and the complexity of changing settings put me off.
  • nikochan64nikochan64 Posts: 1Member
    Nikon should develop the SP digital version.
    Because, SP is the best rangefindercamera,we think.

So, I actually made the SP digital prototype instead of Nikon!
    If you are interested in it, could you check "Youtube"
    title is:
    "nikon sp digital my personal prototype"
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member