Nikon sells Canadian cameras in the US?

ns1337ns1337 Posts: 1Member
edited March 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Just bought a new camera from a reputable US store and it's got a Canadian serial #. Starts with a 5 as opposed to a 3 for US cameras. Strangely the camera "seems" new but the Spanish language manual was not in the sealed plastic wrap unlike the English one. It's also missing the US sticker in the battery compartment and it's got "CA" stickers here and there on the plastic bags protecting the accessories. Made me think that this was a Canadian returned camera that they sent to me? I called Nikon USA and asked them about this, the lady who answered the phone didn't know much about Nikon serial numbering and how the first number indicates the region. But she did say that if I was sold a Canadian camera that this could have warranty implications. When I was done with her I checked the box again and realized that the warranty card was a Nikon USA one but the Canadian serial number was printed on it.

My only explanation is that Nikon rerouted a Canadian camera for the US market due to shortage and took out the French manual and inserted a Spanish one in its place which is why it was not wrapped. They also included a US warranty card.

At this point I'm not sure what I should do since the Nikon woman warned me about possible issues with warranty, but at the same time I got a US warranty card in there. Go figure!

Has anybody ever received a Canadian camera in the US like this?

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This is an issue with the selling dealer and should be taken up with them immediately via customer service.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I wouldn't trust a dealer who seems to be selling gray market goods.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    A gray market camera would not come with a Nikon USA warranty card.

I would escalate with both the dealer and with Nikon and get either a clarification in writing that you won't have a warranty issue, or an exchange.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Unless the warranty card was forged, you shouldn't have an issue. Nikon can do whatever they want with their serial numbers. They are not beholden to our version of decoding them.
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Unless the warranty card was forged, you shouldn't have an issue. Nikon can do whatever they want with their serial numbers. They are not beholden to our version of decoding them.
    Exactly!
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I would for certain check the shutter count on the body. If more than a dozen I would really be a bit upset. The concern I would have is regarding the manual not being in its factory sealed bag. Also, if you decide to keep this body, registering with Nikon USA should confirm it is a USA warranty.

Interestingly enough, I do not think gray market bodies are sold in the US. Only the lenses are offered.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod