Dust inside viewfinder/weathersealing?

2»

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Have you tried a blower on it?
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    For me, it probably came in when I was changing lenses on my bed....
    Ooooo kinky !

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    In doing work professionally, I like the way Moose Peterson checks and cleans his equipment prior to a shoot and on each day during the shoot.

Also, if one reads the entire thread, it may be possible to get the junk out of the viewfinder prism area. I did.
    Msmoto, mod
  • In doing work professionally, I like the way Moose Peterson checks and cleans his equipment prior to a shoot and on each day during the shoot.

Also, if one reads the entire thread, it may be possible to get the junk out of the viewfinder prism area. I did.
    Can you please reference this thread? I have just received my D7100 and after little use (four days) i have noticed a couple of black dots in my viewfinder, they are still there without a lens on, i have cleaned with a rocket blower and lens pen but they are still there.

I have noticed that there is a clip holding the focus screen in, can i unclip this and clean it? I had a canon which i could do this but im not sure about the D7100.

Many thanks buzz
  • Fred_BFred_B Posts: 24Member
    One other thing to check is the eyepiece. It's easy to remove (Just close the view lever and unscrew). I did have some crud on the inside of mine and it was easy to clean.
  • i can confirm the focus screen does indeed come out, you have to be careful as two metal bandings are above it and are very tricky to get back in.

i can also confirm that even though i cleaned it when i put it back i had removed the dirt and replaced it :/ D'oh so now im waiting on more cleaner and pads to arrive.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    It is designed to do that, so you can change to different eye-pieces, so it's no secret that it can come off.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • *** Firstly let me just say, that when you buy a New camera online or at Amazon etc its not that simple to just go right back to the shop and replace?? Let alone they only had one in stock when I bought it! Secondly unlike some, I don’t just rush home and rip open the box to play with a gadget? I didn’t even test my D7100 with a lens; I just set its clock, why would I, I have other Nikon gear too! Anyway after a long exercise of trying to get it sorted, and at first no one believing me? I finally did and sent it off to Nikon Service? Two weeks later it is back (today) and I am very very pleased! The work done by the Nikon Service team fantastic, the DPD delivery service fantastic to! And I am a happy bunny! But I was right and it wasn’t me, it was inside the camera and its prism and just like in the D600 – I have had a new prism fitted, and a new viewfinder and serviced, all for free! So a negative comment on a blog is to be expected! The D7100 is a fantastic camera with fantastic quality and probably the best camera to date! But in 6 months you will read that I was right when it’s the header on the Nikon page regarding this issue! And if you thought that just a replacement was the answer and not the issue itself then you are a muppet! THANK YOU NIKON GOOD JOB DONE and very pleased with your service… Shaun Barnes ***
  • vhrautvhraut Posts: 1Member
    I had lot of dust particle in my viewfinder. this dust particle are basically fiber used in viewfinder. last week my camera fell accidentally & all the dust particle settled. now not a single dust particle in viewfinder. it seem this problem is there in both canon & Nikon. so I will recommend both company to see this seriously. change the quality of fiber used to seal from light.
    "my camera fell accidentally & all the dust particle settled."

I love this…..maybe this is the technique used by Nikon at some service centers…LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have also found cleaning my glasses removes dust particle. =))
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited December 2013
    OMG I have dust in my eyeballs! If I look at the sky I can see it floating around! I would clean my eyes, but they are never in the same place twice! What am I going to do - maybe I can get my eyes upgraded for free if I keep whining to somebody! I think it came from a D600 I used briefly. This is all Nikon's fault! 8-|
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Spraynpray, try using a hose to wash out the dust floating in your eyes. :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    Dirty eyes? You could try using Conjunct a Clear...

as seen here ;-)
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

The 'dust' is in the fluid inside the eye - we all have it! :P
    Always learning.
  • LareLare Posts: 46Member
    edited January 2014
    One other thing to check is the eyepiece. It's easy to remove (Just close the view lever and unscrew). I did have some crud on the inside of mine and it was easy to clean.
    Since this thread re-surfaced, I have to ask: How is this done on the D7000? There is no lever and I'm hesitant to start taking out body screws.

MsMoto provided a link, but the first one (the one that looks most interesting!) is no longer valid. Something about the video being removed from Blip. And, sadly, I don't see instructions on how to take apart the eyepiece to address my original post (dirt inside the viewfinder). Happy New Year, everyone!
    Post edited by Lare on

It looks like Moose Peterson is revising his website. Thus, some of the links are not able to show the previous information. However, he still has a lot of good information and a look at the website can be useful. Moose cleans his gear daily. Goes over it thoroughly and makes certain no problems have arisen during a shoot. This is what top rank pros do. One learns quickly that the opportunities when photographing so many scenes do not repeat themselves.

Here is the full blog and you can search for various techniques he uses:

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/

And, the area on sensor cleaning as of today:

http://www.moosepeterson.com/blog/index.php?s=sensor+cleaning
    Msmoto, mod