60mm AF-D Vs AF-S

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited December 2012 in Nikon Lenses
I hate impulse buys usually but I just got a 60mm AF-D Micro off ebay for 100$.

My question is - did I do well or not?  Is it a good lens or is there something I don't know about that means I wasted my money?
Post edited by spraynpray on
Always learning.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I haven't used it, but any macro lens that has an extending barrel when focusing in the macro range is kind of a turn off to me. From the reviews I've read the new 60mm F2.8G is vastly superior, but at $100 how can you go wrong?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yeah, I see what you mean, but when I use my zooms, they all go in and out, so what's the biggy?   I did know that before I bought it, and I thought about whether it is a problem and decided it wasn't because for close ups on butterflies and things that move, I use the sway focus method.

Any optical problems?
    Always learning.
    edited December 2012
    For me it's more about the lens being self contained, than that the barrel extends. I felt perfectly safe using the 60mm f2.8G at the beach, photographing shells in the sand. With the D, I might hesitate under those conditions. Just the thought of the lens barrel sucking sand inside the lens body is kind of scary. 

As for optics, the reviews I've read are all positive. It isn't as flare resistant, and likely has more CA, but otherwise it is fine.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I do see what you mean PB.  One good thing about the AF-D is that you have twice the working distance at 1:1 that the AF-S has so you do have less chance of clonking your front element on the subject!
    Always learning.
  • binarycodesbinarycodes Posts: 1Member
    edited December 2012
    If both the AF-D and AF-S are the same focal length then how does the AF-D give you more working distance?
    Or am I missing something here.
    Post edited by binarycodes on
    I would say you must be (missing something here) as the old lens is 2-7/8" and the new is 1-7/8".  Not only that, but the old lens has a recessed front element and the new doesn't.  I have to say that a recessed front element seems pretty sensible with such a close minimum focus distance.
    Always learning.
    The lens arrived today but has a stiff focus action so I took a couple of trial snaps with it before getting it in the post to the service centre for quotation and (hopefully) repair.

WOW!  Those images were sharp.  I've never had a Nikon micro lens before and I was amazed how saturated and sharp they were.

I can't wait to get it back from service.  That lens may replace my 50mm f1.4G and the money from that.....
    ;)
    Always learning.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    edited December 2012
    I have the AFD and tested the AFS - I saw zero difference in IQ.  For a $100 and maybe a CLA that was a steal.   The 60mm macro is considered still one of the sharpest DSLR lenses in production.  

As a note - I doubt it will replace the 50mm - the full stop difference in bokeh is huge and the 50 will focus faster and focus more reliably as the macro (even with the limit switch on) will hunt more.    I'm also a 50mm junkie so nothing replaces those for me.
    Post edited by TaoTeJared on
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    That's all good to know Tao, thanks.

I am bracing myself about the repair bill though as the item was mis-described by the seller so if it is too expensive there will be fireworks.
    Always learning.
    Sounds like the focus is just gummy - should be around $35 if something is out of whack $150.  Good thing on these 60mm-s - they are used for industrial applications as well and the parts are abundant.  
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    Fingers crossed for £50 or less ($75) as I have told them to go ahead without asking me if that is the case.

I don't know how they will take that some berk has removed the serial sticker.  Hopefully nobody will get territorial over that.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2013
    mmm...no serial number...may explain the price...  but, this is a lens I have lusted over for years.  Just never got around to grabbing one..  For the price it is a steal, no pun intended.    ......giggle....
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited January 2013
    mmm...no serial number...may explain the price...  but, this is a lens I have lusted over for years.  Just never got around to grabbing one..  For the price it is a steal, no pun intended.    ......giggle....
    LOL! no, it is an ex-rental lens from a well known London company  [-O<
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

Good that the 60mm Micro won't replace the 50mm (I have the 1.8G), as I recently got both.  :) 

I can't wait to try more with the AF-S Micro, initial test show a razor-thin depth of field at close focus and a beautiful bokeh. 

I don't get the "oh no! there's no serial" worries.  I have bought used lenses for years, some with and many without serials.  As long as you are not trying to claim a warranty  repair, there is no reason why they would care.
    Depends. For example, Nikon Canada will not (under any circumstances) service a US serial numbered lens.
    Hence my 'territorial' comment Tao.
    Always learning.
  • studio460studio460 Posts: 205Member
    If I remember correctly, my AF-D Micro-Nikkor was "stiff" as well (I've since purchased the AF-S version). I think the heavier dampening was perhaps intended.
    I wish it was just 'stiff' studio.  It is really stiff and gritty - so is the aperture and so is the auto/manual control - stiff and rough feeling.  It is possible that it may just be a strip clean and lube job, I certainly hope so.
    Always learning.
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I am hoping to get one of these soon off of the 'bay so I can maybe build a teardown.  Starting to think about doing that with a handful of lenses that I have.
    NOW you tell me mac!  :))

I chickened out of doing it myself as it was all so rough that I thought it would need parts and so left it to Nikon.

Can't wait to get it back thought - it is noticeably sharper than anything else I've had.
    Always learning.
    OK, in case this helps anybody in future: That lens was mis-described by the seller as having a focus ring that was 'stiff and gritty'. He failed to mention the aperture ring that hung up when it was adjusted, that the aperture did not obey the ring, that the manual/auto focus switch was really hard to operate and that the serial number label had been pulled off which pulled off the paint on the barrel right back to base coat. I told Nikon to repair it if it was £50 or less, they came back with £267.17! I am out of pocket £103 including the investigation and return postage fee and they have returned it direct to the seller. I hope the seller does the decent thing and reimburses me all the money, if not they get negative feedback and mentioned here as a warning to other forum readers.

The good news is that I just bought a 'used three times less than a year old' in mint condition example for £210 that will arrive Monday.

Ah well, some you win, some you lose.
    Always learning.
  • aslightdelayaslightdelay Posts: 1Member
    I debated getting the 60 AF-D used at a local camera shop (though not nearly as cheap as yours, Spraynpray). I have the 105mm AF-D and love it, but as PB_PM mentions, the front element's kinda funky. I take good care of my lenses, but I also shoot outdoors quite a bit, and that lens looks like it would suck up every last bit of schmutz faster than a dust buster would (there was actually a fair amount of dust inside the lens already, so I shudder to think what it'd look like after a day shooting outdoors under normal conditions, much less at the beach).
    I have had mine for years, in all conditions and have the same filter on it that I bought when I got it. No dust at all in mine. There is a big difference between the air sucking consumer zooms and the higher-end lenses that protrude from the front. Most of the higher end ones have a seal in them.